Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help needed with new set up. Flow control and dead ends?

Lewis in Devon

Hi I have purchased a full setup up for a van from Gardiner including tank, Digital Liquid Logic® V11 Pump Flow Controller, Aquatec WFP Delivery Pump 100PSI, and all fittings. I have followed the setup diagram  received from Gardiner exactly, the only slight deviation is that I have used  half inch hose rather than  micro hose between the strainer and the pump due to  to the correct micro John Guest fittings being out of stock. I have have done a completely new install in my van using a brand new 110mah Yuasa leisure battery connected to the main battery with a smart relay. All wiring diagrams have been followed correctly and new new wiring used. On first use I have auto calibrated the pump to 40, but during calibration the display flashed between Cal and de. I turned the system off and back on at which point it worked producing a good jet of water from the brush head. I then wanted to reset the flow slightly higher to around 50 but when I did this and tried to re calibrate again I cannot get beyond the calibration screen flashing between Cal and de. I am completely new to this equipment and and I'm not entirely sure what a dead end is but I am confident that there are no air locks in the system as there has been a good flow of water already. I am also using a pull stop flow control at the top of my pole to save water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, as a temporary measure with jobs coming up in the next few days, is there any risk in bypassing the flow control and just having a 12-volt switched supply directly to the pump? I appreciate that this would mean I'm running the pump on full power but it might help me out as a short-term solution. Many thanks Lewis 

Hi I have purchased a full setup up for a van from Gardiner including tank, Digital Liquid Logic® V11 Pump Flow Controller, Aquatec WFP Delivery Pump 100PSI, and all fittings. I have followed the setup diagram  received from Gardiner exactly, the only slight deviation is that I have used  half inch hose rather than  micro hose between the strainer and the pump due to  to the correct micro John Guest fittings being out of stock. I have have done a completely new install in my van using a brand new 110mah Yuasa leisure battery connected to the main battery with a smart relay. All wiring diagrams have been followed correctly and new new wiring used. On first use I have auto calibrated the pump to 40, but during calibration the display flashed between Cal and de. I turned the system off and back on at which point it worked producing a good jet of water from the brush head. I then wanted to reset the flow slightly higher to around 50 but when I did this and tried to re calibrate again I cannot get beyond the calibration screen flashing between Cal and de. I am completely new to this equipment and and I'm not entirely sure what a dead end is but I am confident that there are no air locks in the system as there has been a good flow of water already. I am also using a pull stop flow control at the top of my pole to save water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, as a temporary measure with jobs coming up in the next few days, is there any risk in bypassing the flow control and just having a 12-volt switched supply directly to the pump? I appreciate that this would mean I'm running the pump on full power but it might help me out as a short-term solution. Many thanks Lewis 
You need to switch your controller on and adjust your flow to 50 with the pole tap open so water flows out of the brush head. Now follow the auto calibration settings. Once its done calibrating switch the controller off to save those settings. Then switch is back on again.

DE is an electronic method of pressure adjustment. A spring controller has 2 'screens'. The first screen that comes up is the flow controller program. If you want to increase your flow you just press the up button. The pump's motor turns faster giving you more water at the brush head.

The second 'screen' the operates behind that is calibration program which is an electronic pressure switch which operates on the amount of power that the motor requires to achieve the flow you want.

ATM my flow controller goes to DE when my motor starts to draw 5.6 amps. I don't know what that translates to in water pressure in the hose. What your are doing is what I did recently.

Flow rate of 3 (my usual flow rate of choice giving ample water for rinsing) on my Varistream controller.

Amp draw;

Microbore = 3.5 amps

Deadend = 5.6 amps

Flow rate increased to 4.

Microbore = 5.2 amps

Deadend = 5.6 amps

I cannot increase my flow rate to 5 on my controller using microbore hose because the controller will keep going to DE as the pump will draw more current that I have set or calibrated it to. At 5 the controller will switch on and off cause the water to 'pulse' at the brush head.

You need to switch your controller on and adjust your flow to 50 with the pole tap open so water flows out of the brush head. Now follow the auto calibration settings. Once its done calibrating switch the controller off to save those settings. Then switch is back on again.

DE is an electronic method of pressure adjustment. A spring controller has 2 'screens'. The first screen that comes up is the flow controller program. If you want to increase your flow you just press the up button. The pump's motor turns faster giving you more water at the brush head.

The second 'screen' the operates behind that is calibration program which is an electronic pressure switch which operates on the amount of power that the motor requires to achieve the flow you want.

ATM my flow controller goes to DE when my motor starts to draw 5.6 amps. I don't know what that translates to in water pressure in the hose. What your are doing is what I did recently.

Flow rate of 3 (my usual flow rate of choice giving ample water for rinsing) on my Varistream controller.

Amp draw;

Microbore = 3.5 amps

Deadend = 5.6 amps

Flow rate increased to 4.

Microbore = 5.2 amps

Deadend = 5.6 amps

I cannot increase my flow rate to 5 on my controller using microbore hose because the controller will keep going to DE as the pump will draw more current that I have set or calibrated it to. At 5 the controller will switch on and off cause the water to 'pulse' at the brush head.
That's great thank you, will give it a try! 

The calibration value set is to low for the higher flow rates your using. You can run auto cal at any flow rate. We use the figure of 30 just to give a common start point.

My suggestion is that you set your preferred Flow rate be that 40, 50 or 60. Now Run the auto Cal the controller will flash between C99 and Cal and might briefly display DE during the process. Please see the following video link

You can also manually calibrate the controller by following the steps below

1. Press and Hold the Up and Enter buttons

2. The Controller will display Cal and the current calibration value

3. Use the Up/Down buttons to manually adjust the calibration value.

4. Press the enter button and Set will be displayed

As a general rule of Thumb if you running a flow of 50, Cal will likely need to be somewhere around 35 to 45

DE or Dead end means that the controller has stopped the pump in response to a valve or tap being closed and water flow stopping. A controller when calibrated to the pump will stop  the pump well before High pressure builds up and causes the pump pressure switch to open. A pump PS repeatedly opening under high load will cause the PS to fail due to Arcing across the contacts. The controller stops this happening and protects the Presssure switch and pump motor from high current loads.

For the controller to be able to detect when to DE the pump it is calibrated to match the pump and system. The harder a pump works the higher the current draw and pressure will be. As an example in open flow a pump running at a flow of 50 will be drawing 2 - 3amps. When the water valve or tap is turned off the pump will try to force against the restriction causing both Current and pressure to change. The controller detects this change and dead ends the pump

Calibration allows the pump to know what the base current draw and pressure will be during open flow. If a calibration value is to low for the flow rate set this may mean that the controller dead ends the pump unexpectedly. Where this happens increasing the cal value will help.

The controller also need to know when to turn the pump back on once the tap/valve is opened. It does this by testing the pump every three seconds to see if the valve has been opened. You may notice that while a pump is in DE that every few seconds it seems to pulse - this is the controller carrying out the test.

Thanks everyone for all your advice we have success and have got the system working. I really appreciate all the effort you guys have spent replying this morning it's really much appreciated

I think there was 2-3 but for the simple folk like me manual is easier ?
On our Varistreams it's a manual adjustment only and then switch off to save. There are 2 buttons to press at the same time to initiate the calibration mode which is the tricky part for me. ?

Back