Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing guide for a housing association

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dyson123

Hi all, having just bought I Skyvac Industrial I’m now available to do some bigger jobs.

I’ve been asked to give a price per metre for 2 storey, 3 storey and 4 storey gutter clearing with the gutter vac for a housing association with a lot of properties.

Obviously every job is different and without viewing it first it’s hard to give a price but I’m thinking along the lines of :

2 storey £3/m

3 storey £4/m

4 storey £5/m 

With the condition that any property with vegetation growing would be a 50% surcharge per property.

Am I about right with this? Any comments always gratefully received!

Cheers

In my experience the 3 main factors regarding pricing of gutters is adjacent trees that are above gutter height, state of roof and how often are they done.

9 times out of ten I would prefer to do gutters at 30+ feet, then first floor gutters, for less money as invariably there's nothing in the higher gutters.

I would submit prices as guide only, and would submit just one price, and put price confirmation after survey.

In my experience the 3 main factors regarding pricing of gutters is adjacent trees that are above gutter height, state of roof and how often are they done.

9 times out of ten I would prefer to do gutters at 30+ feet, then first floor gutters, for less money as invariably there's nothing in the higher gutters.

I would submit prices as guide only, and would submit just one price, and put price confirmation after survey.
Thanks for that, very interesting, it would never have occurred to me to charge the same price for 4 storey as 2 storey and there’d be less in the gutters higher up but it’s obvious when you think about it!

These gutters are probably done every 10 years I’d say, only when a roofer is called in to fix a problem on the roof...

10 year gutter cleaning schedule isn't good. If anything has took root in the downpipes they will be well attached. This also applies to any growth in the gutters and will probably mean they have grown under the roof.

This is why I would tell anyone doing it as a main line of revenue that a camera, and look in before quoting, is an absolute. 

I initially offered a £50 gutter survey and if they needed doing and I got the job I wouldn't charge them the £50. I only ever did one and it didnt need cleaning, but it got me in at the PM company and has earned me many thousands since.

That’s good advice, I’m currently looking into getting a go-pro as I’ve not heard many good things about the SkyCams. If they bring one out that’s top notch then I’ll happily buy it but right now I’m think a second hand Go-Pro might be best for surveys?

What do you do if something has taken root at 3 storeys and the vac won’t do it? 

I used to do a fair few for a housing association. Usually they have fascia, soffit, gutter clear and windows done in one hit. 

It's very tough tbh as they want it done as cheap as possible. I used to do about 60 odd houses on one estate at a time, most were terraced properties. 

I used to charge £60 for 2 bed, 3 bed £80. These are 2 story properties. You could get 3 to 4 done a hour with 2 off you. 

3 storey were £110. Some would say this is cheap but terraced properties in a row is easy work tbh. Not moving van etc. 

You would also clean electric boxes too. 

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
To give you an idea why I disagree with committing to fixed pricing. On Monday I'm driving to Gosport to clear the gutters of, if I recall correctly, 73 4 bed semi detached houses, there is approximately 4000 metres of guttering and with a fixed price of £3 a metre my price would be circa £12k, I actually charge £3850. I will leave home 1ish Monday and get home 1ish Thursday. The lad who helps me will be picked up around 4.30 Monday, lives just outside Newmarket, and will be dropped off 7ish Wednesday evening, he will be paid £800. My other ex's, hotel, diesel and food, will be circa £450, thus leaving a profit of over £2500 for 2 days work and 2 days driving. I wouldn't get the job if my price was £12k 

That's fair enough but my travel on each one has been less than 30 minutes. Thats there and back. 

I do see the job before quoting. They generally want fixed pricing after the surveyor looks about, they generally know what they want to pay before you quote. 

It was just giving advise as this is what I done. If he hasn't quoted before, this kind of job, I was giving him a rough idea. 

They usually carry out this maintance ever 7 years or so. 

There is always a lot of work they need quoting generally too. I would charge more if I had to travel though.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fair enough but my travel on each one has been less than 30 minutes. Thats there and back. 

I do see the job before quoting. They generally want fixed pricing after the surveyor looks about, they generally know what they want to pay before you quote. 

It was just giving advise as this is what I done. If he hasn't quoted before, this kind of job, I was giving him a rough idea. 

They usually carry out this maintance ever 7 years or so. 

There is always a lot of work they need quoting generally too. I would charge more if I had to travel though.
My post wasn't regarding your pricing it was for the OP, as long as we get the business at the numbers that work is all that matters.

To give you an idea why I disagree with committing to fixed pricing. On Monday I'm driving to Gosport to clear the gutters of, if I recall correctly, 73 4 bed semi detached houses, there is approximately 4000 metres of guttering and with a fixed price of £3 a metre my price would be circa £12k, I actually charge £3850. I will leave home 1ish Monday and get home 1ish Thursday. The lad who helps me will be picked up around 4.30 Monday, lives just outside Newmarket, and will be dropped off 7ish Wednesday evening, he will be paid £800. My other ex's, hotel, diesel and food, will be circa £450, thus leaving a profit of over £2500 for 2 days work and 2 days driving. I wouldn't get the job if my price was £12k 
I’m assuming from the price and speed you’ll get through them you do these gutters annually?

I’m assuming from the price and speed you’ll get through them you do these gutters annually?
Yes, there are a lot of trees around some of them and some gutters, around 20%, need doing as they're full. First time we did them we worked non stop 8-6 Monday and 8-5.30 on the Tuesday. The second time we were able to have a decent lunch break on both days and finished for 3

Next week is our third time so hopefully the blocked downpipes are a thing of the past.The recent dry weather is a bit of a worry though.

Yes, there are a lot of trees around some of them and some gutters, around 20%, need doing as they're full. First time we did them we worked non stop 8-6 Monday and 8-5.30 on the Tuesday. The second time we were able to have a decent lunch break on both days and finished for 3

Next week is our third time so hopefully the blocked downpipes are a thing of the past.The recent dry weather is a bit of a worry though.
Go on buy the interceptor you know you want to ????

Back