Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do you clear downpipes?

Chris34

When you price up for gutter clearing is it normal to include the down pipes and if it is how do you do it?  Is it one of those flexi rod drain clearing type things?

When you price up for gutter clearing is it normal to include the down pipes and if it is how do you do it?  Is it one of those flexi rod drain clearing type things?
Always, a blocked downpipe does the damage, most full gutters start off as a blocked downpipe. Usually a gutter vac will unblock it, from then on it depends on height and access.

Unblocking downpipes is vital there is no point in vaccing the gutter and not doing downpipes we always do them and water test  any that have been blocked to wash out any remaining dirt , it’s all part of the service , there are odd occasions when you have to get a ladder out, but a thorough camera survey before quoting should alert you to any potential problems and price accordingly, once you are experienced with a vac it’s surprising what you can remove with a vac it’s not all about suction although that’s important it’s about understanding what’s happened up  there and using the vac in a way to remove it , the pictures below show a 3 storey house we did 5 other companies said it was impossible to do from the ground , we did the impossible ???? we regularly do most in the street now ???

D8500A20-0CCA-4107-AB77-4BE3101474B2.jpeg

6283FD87-F09C-4411-8115-C20B25855191.jpeg

FF7A48EE-2914-476F-8890-AACBA3F4A010.jpeg

D22B38A4-992A-4C22-B1C9-9DEA46C3F0DD.jpeg

E0C6A8A1-2C3C-4001-885B-08AB8891BF89.jpeg

DFF16A91-F316-4C60-9FA0-079B0FD50A88.jpeg

Unblocking downpipes is vital there is no point in vaccing the gutter and not doing downpipes we always do them and water test  any that have been blocked to wash out any remaining dirt , it’s all part of the service , there are odd occasions when you have to get a ladder out, but a thorough camera survey before quoting should alert you to any potential problems and price accordingly, once you are experienced with a vac it’s surprising what you can remove with a vac it’s not all about suction although that’s important it’s about understanding what’s happened up  there and using the vac in a way to remove it , the pictures below show a 3 storey house we did 5 other companies said it was impossible to do from the ground , we did the impossible ???? we regularly do most in the street now ???

View attachment 20554

View attachment 20555

View attachment 20556

View attachment 20557

View attachment 20558

View attachment 20559
You like a challenge don't you, ?   That down pipe is z shaped, how would you go about clearing the inside of that as the vacuum pipe looks like it's not possible to go further than that first bend?  Also, would you put a camera all the way down the pipe or just check the bottom and top of it?

You like a challenge don't you, ?   That down pipe is z shaped, how would you go about clearing the inside of that as the vacuum pipe looks like it's not possible to go further than that first bend?  Also, would you put a camera all the way down the pipe or just check the bottom and top of it?
We put water in the downpipes and let them soak for  a while then more water then vac the stuff out sometimes it comes out in one piece sometimes in lots of bits , if it’s impossible it get it out from the top on a high property like this I cut the down pipe and put an inspection port in it and then fibreglass rod it from the bottom but this is a very rare occasions that that is needed , haven’t come across  one that we couldn’t do like this yet , but always price for worst case scenario if you are unsure .

We put water in the downpipes and let them soak for  a while then more water then vac the stuff out sometimes it comes out in one piece sometimes in lots of bits , if it’s impossible it get it out from the top on a high property like this I cut the down pipe and put an inspection port in it and then fibreglass rod it from the bottom but this is a very rare occasions that that is needed , haven’t come across  one that we couldn’t do like this yet , but always price for worst case scenario if you are unsure .
Pricing it sounds difficult, how do you go about pricing it?  Price per metre or price based on level of dirt build up?  Say if the down pipe is blocked how would you price that up as it would be hard to know whether it's completely rammed blocked or if it's a 10 minute job.

Also, what would you do if the pipe in the ground is blocked, like where do you draw the line between clearing the gutters and clearing the drains?

Just trying to get my head around it all before I dive in ?

We have had a few where the gutters are in the ground and the water from the roof is meant to soakaway. These can block at the bottom and you have 2 options, dig them out or disassemble the downpipe at the gutter and lift the pipe out. Whichever method you chose make sure you're clear when it comes away as firstly, it really gushes and soaks everything, secondly it will more than likely stink.   

Pricing it sounds difficult, how do you go about pricing it?  Price per metre or price based on level of dirt build up?  Say if the down pipe is blocked how would you price that up as it would be hard to know whether it's completely rammed blocked or if it's a 10 minute job.

Also, what would you do if the pipe in the ground is blocked, like where do you draw the line between clearing the gutters and clearing the drains?

Just trying to get my head around it all before I dive in ?
The one in the picture was £250 took about 2-2.5 hours . We will not dig out blocked soakaways but will fit shoes to put the water into the garden or where ever  

I have never priced per meter I just look at it and think that will take x amount of time so I want £££ we don’t get every job but do get well over 90% of serious enquires, 

Cheers fella's the advice is much appreciated.  How do you both go about setting your prices on gutter work, do you find you can get a lot more than what you charge for windows, do you set it like pricing cleaning conservatory roofs / fascia's or do you go higher again?  I try and hit £35hr windows, £50hr roofs / fascia's and other extra's.  For gutters I was thinking maybe £60hr but have no idea what everyone else charges, also got no idea how long they take to clear but I'm sure I'll learn, just don't want to set out too low but also not get laughed at by pricing ridiculously high.

Cheers fella's the advice is much appreciated.  How do you both go about setting your prices on gutter work, do you find you can get a lot more than what you charge for windows, do you set it like pricing cleaning conservatory roofs / fascia's or do you go higher again?  I try and hit £35hr windows, £50hr roofs / fascia's and other extra's.  For gutters I was thinking maybe £60hr but have no idea what everyone else charges, also got no idea how long they take to clear but I'm sure I'll learn, just don't want to set out too low but also not get laughed at by pricing ridiculously high.
The job I put the picture up of took 2:5 hours maximum. For £250 . We do a nursing home every 12 weeks takes less than a morning and that’s £300 , I have a minimum price of £65 to vac anything if it’s one meter of gutter it’s £65 , that’s my standard price for a 3 bed semi takes 20-25 muinits we do loads of them each year , to make it more financially worth while I let the jobs build up until we have a full days work as a minimum then just go from one to the next , nice change from the windows and as it’s an add on for us   I charge accordingly Ime not interested and don’t  need the work so  not bothered if we get the job or not . 

There are always 2 of us when we do gutters and aim for £100 per hour. The vast majority of gutter work I do is for 2 PM companies and never, except 1 job, have a problem achieving this. I tend to do days of gutters rather than jobs here and there.

As for pricing mine is literally gut feeling of what it should be and only camera on new high jobs that look like they might be full. Looking for tell tale signs, overhanging trees, badly stained downpipes round joints and water marks  / green bricks on the floor are signs there is a problem which will mean an inspection is required.

Wow that's a lot more, I've only just managed to get comfortable charging good money for windows, them prices would dwarf what I get doing windows.  

I suppose it's only right though, if the kit costs a bit you have to make a bit to make it worth while.  Conservatory roofs and fascia's is same kit pretty much just more effort.

Got one to price up on Friday, think it's a modern 2 bed semi with a gutter at the front and gutter at back.  Also windows as a one off.  

Just checked it up, it's actually not a modern semi but it is a quasi semi.  The downpipe at the front is on the neighbours side, how do you guys go about this?  Do you just price the whole length, but then who pays?

Ha ha it's more complex then I thought, can't imagine what it would be like with neighbours who are at war.

gutter job.jpg

gutter job2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you asked if there's a problem? If there is then strictly speaking you will have to get access to the downpipe. The neighbours, by law, have to give you access. They may however stop you and this will take time to remedy. You could always ask the neighbours if they want there's doing as well.

Not trying to tempt fate but they look like the type of gutters that will be fairly clear and only have tile dust in them.

It's a customers mothers house, just said they wanted a one off.  If it's law then that's fine, makes sense.  There isn't any trees nearby.  How long would that gutter take then if it was relatively clear? 15 minutes?

Just checked it up, it's actually not a modern semi but it is a quasi semi.  The downpipe at the front is on the neighbours side, how do you guys go about this?  Do you just price the whole length, but then who pays?

Ha ha it's more complex then I thought, can't imagine what it would be like with neighbours who are at war.

View attachment 20564

View attachment 20565
That for us would be a typical 20-30 muinit job front and back  , we would go up to the down pipe and check the bend from the garden of your customers there is no need to access there garden for that job , we do this all the time , if there was signs of problems in the neabours gutters when quoting I would give them a knock and point out the issues and try and get both houses  I would give them both a discount and charge them £50 each easy £100 and take less than an hour to do  both . 

That for us would be a typical 20-30 muinit job front and back  , we would go up to the down pipe and check the bend from the garden of your customers there is no need to access there garden for that job , we do this all the time , if there was signs of problems in the neabours gutters when quoting I would give them a knock and point out the issues and try and get both houses  I would give them both a discount and charge them £50 each easy £100 and take less than an hour to do  both . 
Bloody good money that.  I was thinking £20 each side, £60 for them both, lol.  Do you find you get less knock backs compared to window cleaning quotes?  I thought window cleaning was high, lol.

Going to have to way it all up, unbelievable how much you can get. 

Bloody good money that.  I was thinking £20 each side, £60 for them both, lol.  Do you find you get less knock backs compared to window cleaning quotes?  I thought window cleaning was high, lol.

Ye I’ve found people are willing to pay more for gutter clearing than they will for a regular window clean. Maybe because it’s a maintenance issue that can cause further problems and more outlays in the future if they dont get em cleared as opposed to the windows that are a luxury really. I’d charge same as you £20 per side for them smaller property’s. Even if they were bad and did em off the ladder I’d expect to have em done in half hour tops. 

Ye I’ve found people are willing to pay more for gutter clearing than they will for a regular window clean. Maybe because it’s a maintenance issue that can cause further problems and more outlays in the future if they dont get em cleared as opposed to the windows that are a luxury really. I’d charge same as you £20 per side for them smaller property’s. Even if they were bad and did em off the ladder I’d expect to have em done in half hour tops. 
There's another more important reason now for getting your gutters cleared each year, insurance. Your insurance is null and void if you don't maintain your property. I've had several gutter clears due to insurance not paying out for roof leaks.

Some people expect you to empty them for £10 , when ones phone or email I say prices start from £65 if they go quite you know they won’t go ahead , depending on there response and the location of the properties I ask them would you like me to come and give you an exact price or get them to txt or email photos , I generally price from that , if the pictures look like it could be a problem or it’s a big place I always do a site visit , we get over 90% of all the genuine enquiries ,you will always get chancers and time wasters the same as you do for window cleaning but soon get used to weeding them out just by talking to them on the phone 

Back