Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ionic pump replacement alternatives.

moto

Started having issues with my small ionic delivery system (or possibly with Univalve? Still trying to find the issue...). Water stopped and not back on few times after I shut the univalve and opened again. All connected, but I think the pump is not restarting. Twice sorted by starting the van and that started the pump again, other time; disconnected pole hose from delivery hose few times which got the pressure on and off and pump started again... very odd. Anyone have idea what could have happened? I ran very low on water few times recently, run out completely once. Maybe air lock in the pump, some dirt, or damage to the pump? If its working, I noticed the pressure is lower than what it was. I have to set manual controller higher, but still not as strong as it was. Initially thought hot weather is the reason of lower pressure, but now I can see something isn't right.

Spoke to Ionic today, they suggested changing the pump. Its 2014 system and still on original pump. Another question is can I fit aquatec pump as it looks the same and its half the price of Ionic? Will it create an issue and not work correctly with Ionic controller?

http://www.ionicsystems.com/uk/product/ionic-100psi-water-pump-12v/

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/aquatec-12v-100psi-pump-7800

https://www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/water-genie-50lpm-100psi-pump-4798-p.asp

All 3 look the same, but are they? Thanks

it could be an air lock...run your controller on full blast for a few mins and disconnect and reconnect your hose into the reel a few times and set your CAL higher....check your battery voltage too.....

i get airlocks if i run my tank too low

Gardeners pumps are the same as ionics and half the price , you just need tk change over the fittings to john guest on Gardiners pumps , but I don’t  think the pump is the problem 

it could be an air lock...run your controller on full blast for a few mins and disconnect and reconnect your hose into the reel a few times and set your CAL higher....check your battery voltage too.....

i get airlocks if i run my tank too low
Just spent some time fixing all small leaks by changing rubber o'rings. washed car and a van and rinsed with pure from the brush with system almost on full... after few minutes started splattering with air bubbles so there was some air, hope its fixed.

If you start the van and it kicks in then battery has low voltage. It then increases when you turn the engine on.
That was my initial thinking hence starting the van, but don't think thats the issue as it happened again in the morning after charging battery all night, so tried playing with connecting and disconnecting the hose which helped.

Gardeners pumps are the same as ionics and half the price , you just need tk change over the fittings to john guest on Gardiners pumps , but I don’t  think the pump is the problem 
Pump sounds Ok, I hope you are right, will save money I need to spend on RO system on Friday ? Is pump failure a slow process with pressure drop first, or if it fails it just stops? 

Thanks for your help Guys.

Just spent some time fixing all small leaks by changing rubber o'rings. washed car and a van and rinsed with pure from the brush with system almost on full... after few minutes started splattering with air bubbles so there was some air, hope its fixed.

That was my initial thinking hence starting the van, but don't think thats the issue as it happened again in the morning after charging battery all night, so tried playing with connecting and disconnecting the hose which helped.

Pump sounds Ok, I hope you are right, will save money I need to spend on RO system on Friday ? Is pump failure a slow process with pressure drop first, or if it fails it just stops? 

Thanks for your help Guys.
Usually pressure drop over time that you don’t really notice until you fit a new pump and have to turn the flow down ,on it , 

Batteries also don't last forever @moto. According to some manufacturers we are battery abusers and can only expect an average life of 6 months from a battery.

My gut goes with @doug atkinson's suggestion. It could also be a poor connection somewhere in the wiring between the leisure battery and the controller. First place to look is the fuse holder.

If this is still a problem, try disconnecting the leisure battery and using the vehicles battery for a day and see if solves the problem. You will most probably have to Jerry rig a length of cable from your vehicle battery's positive terminal to the controller by-passing the positive terminal on the leisure battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update; it's better now. Happened once yesterday. All day one road fronts, so long hose and very soft now in this heat. Pump is struggling to keep the pressure now, I can hear its going for 10 sec when I close the flow. Previously it will stop after few secs. Ionics simple analog controler doesnt have calibration options. Do I try to adjust pressure switch screw? Would I screw in or out a bit?

I think I will also cut 10meters of the hose to make it easier for the pump. Don't use all 100m.

Anyone had similar issues with Ionics system?

Batteries also don't last forever @moto. According to some manufacturers we are battery abusers and can only expect an average life of 6 months from a battery.
Thanks Spruce, I use van's battery, no leisure batt. I dont drive far so it's charged overnight daily.

Update; it's better now. Happened once yesterday. All day one road fronts, so long hose and very soft now in this heat. Pump is struggling to keep the pressure now, I can hear its going for 10 sec when I close the flow. Previously it will stop after few secs. Ionics simple analog controler doesnt have calibration options. Do I try to adjust pressure switch screw? Would I screw in or out a bit?

I think I will also cut 10meters of the hose to make it easier for the pump. Don't use all 100m.

Anyone had similar issues with Ionics system?
Adjusting the pressure switch won't help you. There could though be a fault with the microswitch inside the pressure switch. It could be that the contacts are burnt and causing an electrical resistance.

I think I would try replacing the pump we regularly run 200 meters off a pump never have any problems 

Latest Posts

Back