Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Spotting in the sun

Joel

Hey guys, just wondering if there is a way to clean windows with WFP on windows in direct sunlight without spots. Just cleaned my own windows today when it was really sunny and one side of our house cathes all the sun in the afternoon, but left spots when they dried, just checked the TDS of my water and was at 000, just wondered if there was a way to avoid this happening? many thanks ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thorough scrub starting at top of the frame , rinse frame top ,clean glass and side frame and sill rinse glass and side frame well ,along with the sill , job done spot free window .

Can anyone explain why hot weather would cause spotting?

If your water is 0 it should evaporate spotlessly regardless shouldn’t it?
Glass absorbs the heat and when you start you will see the steam coming off. The spotting is the particles of dirt you're attempting to clean off the frames and windows. So if this drys very quickly it will still be on the glass so you need to rinse a bit more to guarantee clean windows.

On big jobs we find it can be 10% quicker on a cool damp day then a hot day.

Glass absorbs the heat and when you start you will see the steam coming off. The spotting is the particles of dirt you're attempting to clean off the frames and windows. So if this drys very quickly it will still be on the glass so you need to rinse a bit more to guarantee clean windows.

On big jobs we find it can be 10% quicker on a cool damp day then a hot day.
Quality! Going to copy and paste this for customers. Thankyou

Try turning your flow up a bit and clean as normal this might help 
Had my 100° fans on full flow today even on a big new clean.

Was 28° and full sun and didn't even check any windows apart from the first clean as I know they will be fine and that was rinsing on the glass.

Got to get that water pouring down the glass.

Had my 100° fans on full flow today even on a big new clean.

Was 28° and full sun and didn't even check any windows apart from the first clean as I know they will be fine and that was rinsing on the glass.

Got to get that water pouring down the glass.
So dificult. Trying to save water to squueze a few more jobs in.. guess that's the skill!

So dificult. Trying to save water to squueze a few more jobs in.. guess that's the skill!
And this is the crux of the problem. A window cleaner in Cyprus was telling us on the other forum many years ago that they have to spray the windows to begin with to cool them down before washing and rinsing them. If they don't they leave them worse than before they started.

The water needs time to run down the glass and flush the dirt off. If it dries before this then those dirt particles stay behind as others have said and cause spots.

In summer sunshine we expect to use more water on the same windows than we would with overcast cooler days. This means we also have to spend longer on each window. This is especially true for us on the coast.

44 minutes ago, Nick1000 said:

Use whatever method you like but use enough flow and it's fine.

Too much overthinking going on.

I just whack it up and clean.. job done (wagga quote lol)

I'm not advertising but use some enigma in your water.(find David Kemp on Facebook and order some)

It cuts out a lot of spotting and is very clever stuff.

Definitely not advertising him as I can't stand vision that he supplies but used enigma a lot in the trial process before release and it is great.

@kevinc250understands how it works so could elaborate but I swear by it.

It actually fills in minuscule dips in the glass allowing it to sheet better and gets better each time.

All nano tech stuff which is quite clever.

Queue the additive haters @Pjj?

Use whatever method you like but use enough flow and it's fine.

Too much overthinking going on.

I just whack it up and clean.. job done (wagga quote lol)

I'm not advertising but use some enigma in your water.(find David Kemp on Facebook and order some)

It cuts out a lot of spotting and is very clever stuff.

Definitely not advertising him as I can't stand vision that he supplies but used enigma a lot in the trial process before release and it is great.

@kevinc250understands how it works so could elaborate but I swear by it.

It actually fills in minuscule dips in the glass allowing it to sheet better and gets better each time.

All nano tech stuff which is quite clever.

Queue the additive haters @Pjj?
I have had very lengthy talks to @kevinc250 about addertives   and have great respect for him he has a vast knowledge, But I still say why spend thousands on filtration to remove stuff from water then chuck theses things in the tank I think it’s madness I have never had any issues in 15 years using pure , I feel a lot of it is placebo effect ,I do understand nano technology and some things are really good but just don’t think it’s needed for window cleaning , each to there own But it’s not for me ????

I have had very lengthy talks to @kevinc250 about addertives   and have great respect for him he has a vast knowledge, But I still say why spend thousands on filtration to remove stuff from water then chuck theses things in the tank I think it’s madness I have never had any issues in 15 years using pure , I feel a lot of it is placebo effect ,I do understand nano technology and some things are really good but just don’t think it’s needed for window cleaning , each to there own But it’s not for me ????
Definitely each to their own.

I see the benefit from experience using it but totally get your point.

But if something can be added which 100% doesn't affect your tds and helps then I say give it a go.

It's  the same as preferred jets and brushes etc.. personal choice but may also help some people who have issues.

Definitely each to their own.

I see the benefit from experience using it but totally get your point.

But if something can be added which 100% doesn't affect your tds and helps then I say give it a go.

It's  the same as preferred jets and brushes etc.. personal choice but may also help some people who have issues.
Ok so what additives do you use ? What do you think it does to improve the clean ? How does it improve the clean ? Ime genuinely interested as I don’t  mind using trying new things , like the swivel the other week I wasnt keen on the idear but got one to try and think it’s quite good . 

I use enigma and it genuinely does make the glass clean quicker and stops issues with hydrophilic glass.

It's hard to describe unless you try it.

Tried others and seemed like a placebo effect but the enigma really does seem to turbocharge my cleaning speed.

Also I swear by using a swivel.

Can anyone explain why hot weather would cause spotting?

If your water is 0 it should evaporate spotlessly regardless shouldn’t it?
Water will evaporate, dirt won't. That's how come people in survival situations can evaporate  unsafe water and condense it into drinkable water.

We clean windows by agitating the dirt using brush and water to loosen it so it mixes with the water. Then we rinse the dirty water off again using clean water (those that rinse off the glass). Or using brush and water, those of us that rinse on the glass. We have to make sure that we get enough of a curtain of clean water to make all the dirt run down off the window and sill.

if we allow the water to evaporate rather than run off, by not using enough rinse water that is often the cause of spotting.

All really good replies guys and thank you for the responses, going to try a few of these methods and see what works better for me, I did try today after cleaning window doing a rinse off with the brush still on the glass going side to side whilst working my way down. On some windows it just left horizontal white spots so went back to rinsing off the glass. got a few windows where top seals caused water droplets coming down from the actual seal wich spot regardless :') , Im intrigued about the fan jets as I have never used them before and dont really understand how they help?

Dave was kind enough to do this vid.

This is pretty much exactly how I work and have no issues except I use the 100° fans and only 2 on my brush.

All really good replies guys and thank you for the responses, going to try a few of these methods and see what works better for me, I did try today after cleaning window doing a rinse off with the brush still on the glass going side to side whilst working my way down. On some windows it just left horizontal white spots so went back to rinsing off the glass. got a few windows where top seals caused water droplets coming down from the actual seal wich spot regardless :') , Im intrigued about the fan jets as I have never used them before and dont really understand how they help?
Gardiner 100 degree fan jets give a fan of water contained within the full width of the brush once the brush is against the window.  I believe rinse-bars do similar but the water is above the bristles so not contained. I personally won't use any other jets than the fans, and won't entertain rinse-bars. How fans help is that the whole brush has a full width, even spread of water, no drier areas. They build a pressure within the brush which flushes out of the sides and the bottom taking the dirt with the water. They work best with non-flocked brushes and rinsing on the glass.

This is very different to pencil jets which just concentrate jets in two or four circles. A lot of us prefer one type over the other.

Back