ks789

flourishing grass up north

ks789

Nothing to do with windows, but noticed on a tv article how lush the grass was up north. You must be getting more rain than us. down here south east/east anglia no rain for months and grass dead/yellow, doesnt grow. amazing difference over a few counties.

Part Timer
50 minutes ago, ks789 said:

Nothing to do with windows, but noticed on a tv article how lush the grass was up north. You must be getting more rain than us. down here south east/east anglia no rain for months and grass dead/yellow, doesnt grow. amazing difference over a few counties.

It's been relatively dry for us, April was very dry compared to usual. May has been either cold or hot, very cold early part of month but decent last weekend and this week. Again overall dryer then we are normally, we did have a very wet winter though so probably the watercourses are still relatively full.

ks789
2 hours ago, Part Timer said:

It's been relatively dry for us, April was very dry compared to usual. May has been either cold or hot, very cold early part of month but decent last weekend and this week. Again overall dryer then we are normally, we did have a very wet winter though so probably the watercourses are still relatively full.

Yes true, that wet winter was a saviour really, ( well, not for the flooded areas) but for these arid areas. Amazing in such a small country such a variation. They get it dumped off the atlantic.

Robt100

Its been dry here, but the grass is still growing at a crazy rate. Its bloomin thick too! nothing like the nancy Norfolk grass in my old garden, spent 4 years just trying to get it to stay alive🤣

ks789
11 minutes ago, Robt100 said:

Its been dry here, but the grass is still growing at a crazy rate. Its bloomin thick too! nothing like the nancy Norfolk grass in my old garden, spent 4 years just trying to get it to stay alive🤣

Its not growing down this way, all dried and yellow. one of my elderly customers got me doing a bit of hoeing in her garden and it was like concrete 😆 

Bet the local footy teams are glad to not play either. Break yer leg on those pitches ⛹️‍♂️   👨‍🦼

Iron Giant

Ground is bone dry we have had the odd spell of rain but not enough it hasn't really rained since late March the ground is rock hard, the grass is usually growing really well, I had some turf laid 2 weeks ago and I've had to water it in loads, I saw a lawn this week were the grass was completely dead, expensive mistake for not wanting to pay extra on a water bill, mine is lush and green the grass in the horses field near us is pitiful they have had to take 2 horses out because of lack of grass 

steve garwood

I take the waste pipe from my R.O  that goes into a drain and put it into a length of garden hose and lay it on my grass.

As I produce pure my grass gets a nice drink, which living in the south east, it desperately needs.

Keeps my grass looking lush 👍

Iron Giant
4 minutes ago, steve garwood said:

I take the waste pipe from my R.O  that goes into a drain and put it into a length of garden hose and lay it on my grass.

As I produce pure my grass gets a nice drink, which living in the south east, it desperately needs.

I've been thinking about setting up a micro irrigation system to water the lawn and plants 

ks789
1 hour ago, Iron Giant said:

Ground is bone dry we have had the odd spell of rain but not enough it hasn't really rained since late March the ground is rock hard, the grass is usually growing really well, I had some turf laid 2 weeks ago and I've had to water it in loads, I saw a lawn this week were the grass was completely dead, expensive mistake for not wanting to pay extra on a water bill, mine is lush and green the grass in the horses field near us is pitiful they have had to take 2 horses out because of lack of grass 

Always find it daft when they water their lawns in the middle of the day, always better evening/night if possible.

Iron Giant
7 minutes ago, ks789 said:

Always find it daft when they water their lawns in the middle of the day, always better evening/night if possible.

Mine is down the allotment so 30 minutes on a morning and evening, only supposed to use water for 30 minutes a day 😅

Part Timer
2 hours ago, steve garwood said:

I usually only do this June onwards but did it twice in April and May.

dmw

It's  nice and lush up here in Northwest and I've had to borrow my brothers mower to cut the grass myself as we haven't seen the gardener this year.

Now he is getting on a bit, and I thought he might be self isolating, but not a word and he's got a fairly big round here.

I would have thought he'd have a friend or family to put some flyers through letterboxes but nothing so I'm thinking of buying a mower and strimmer and doing it myself.

It does have parallels with this job about vanishing window cleaners " he just stopped coming "..... I did pay the gardener, honest....

Part Timer
Just now, dmw said:

It's  nice and lush up here in Northwest and I've had to borrow my brothers mower to cut the grass myself as we haven't seen the gardener this year.

Now he is getting on a bit, and I thought he might be self isolating, but not a word and he's got a fairly big round here.

I would have thought he'd have a friend or family to put some flyers through letterboxes but nothing so I'm thinking of buying a mower and strimmer and doing it myself.

It does have parallels with this job about vanishing window cleaners " he just stopped coming "..... I did pay the gardener, honest....

Did you tell him miss me this time as it's going to rain 🤣

RWCleaning

We had a few hours of light rain early yesterday morning here on Bournemouth, first time in over 2 weeks I think. But overall since lockdown started 8 weeks ago, think it’s rained about 3 or 4 days. Gutter jobs have been horrible with rock solid moss last couple of months. 

scottish cleaning service
2 hours ago, dmw said:

I've ordered the Stihl Battery set up. Chainsaw, Hedge trimmers, Strimmer, Blower, Fast Charger and a AR 3000 Backpack. I can charge the backpack when its sunny from my solar panels, I think it takes a few hours. Got my first customer, my mum, council have cancelled hedge cutting till after the lockdown so she volunteered me.

dmw
38 minutes ago, RWCleaning said:

We had a few hours of light rain early yesterday morning here on Bournemouth, first time in over 2 weeks I think. But overall since lockdown started 8 weeks ago, think it’s rained about 3 or 4 days. Gutter jobs have been horrible with rock solid moss last couple of months. 

I'm not always to happy with these long dry spells, they're great for work but can play havoc with my tds levels. It's been at around 60ppm for the past 6 months but then they start to replenish water from other reservoirs and I've seen it go as high as 150ppm occasionally which is a bit heavy on resin with a double di set up. I should go the RO route but I'm a bit lazy.

4 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I've ordered the Stihl Battery set up. Chainsaw, Hedge trimmers, Strimmer, Blower, Fast Charger and a AR 3000 Backpack. I can charge the backpack when its sunny from my solar panels, I think it takes a few hours. Got my first customer, my mum, council have cancelled hedge cutting till after the lockdown so she volunteered me.

Shame you're not closer, you can nip round and do mine...

Iron Giant
3 hours ago, dmw said:

Shame you're not closer, you can nip round and do mine...

He enjoys a good drive out and natter I am sure he can fit you in 😅

Iron Giant
5 hours ago, Part Timer said:

I usually only do this June onwards but did it twice in April and May.

I have been thinking on this I have 100m of old microbore in the garage, I might run this around the garden you can get a little hose punch http://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IBYH6CW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3V49REC87V078&psc=1 thinking I could use this and set up a micro irrigation system 

steve garwood
1 hour ago, Iron Giant said:

I have been thinking on this I have 100m of old microbore in the garage, I might run this around the garden you can get a little hose punch http://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IBYH6CW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3V49REC87V078&psc=1 thinking I could use this and set up a micro irrigation system 

The long winter nights must just fly by 😘

Iron Giant
57 minutes ago, steve garwood said:

The long winter nights must just fly by 😘

It's grim up North 🤣