Jump to content

Advice on detailing


Dyl Wimbledon

Recommended Posts

Dyl Wimbledon

Hi all, 

Been practising on my house almost daily. 

Im getting fairly confident on all aspects of window cleaning. 

The only problem I have, I seem to be leaving a little bit of snail trails now and again on the window edges. It's bugging me as I want the windows to be perfect. 

Can anyone advice on what I could be doing wrong. 

I detail before and after using the squeege. 

I have used unger cloth , fishtail cloth and scrim and still seem to leave the odd trail with them all. 

Also, 

Is it safe to use green scouring pads on the glass? 

Thanks in advance. 

 

Link to post
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • NoName

    7

  • Dyl Wimbledon

    6

  • Part Timer

    5

  • Apw1210

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll get out of this conversation as my brain is starting to hurt.

Seriously watch polz'n'bladz on youtube. He designed the liquidators with moerman (and a very nice bloke to talk to if you need advice) Been meaning to catch up with him at a trade show for

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." 😉 How many Pilipinos have been tested ?  What's the classification criteria for a covd-19 death? i.e If someone dies of

Posted Images

scottish cleaning service
1 hour ago, Dyl Wimbledon said:

Is it safe to use green scouring pads on the glass? 

yes, just go on utube and look at videos that's how I started and learned on my own windows.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
2 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

yes, just go on utube and look at videos that's how I started and learned on my own windows.

I wouldn’t seen to many people scratch windows using them 

Link to post
57 minutes ago, Pjj said:

I wouldn’t seen to many people scratch windows using them 

Agree - shocking amount on new builds - post builders clean by numpties - much better off with a bladed 'window scraper' ensuring window is and stays nice and wet during use - or super fine bronze wool👍

Link to post
laddergarder

Make sure your cloth is dry, and try not put too much soap in the water.

I only detail at the end, not before. That helps if your straight stroking a window, but not nessasary if your fanning with the squeegee.

Link to post
Teddington Window Cleaners

only detail at the end and its all in the scrim. 

The scrim must be clean and damp but not wet, use only enough to squash in the the corner and work top to bottom. 

Link to post
Dyl Wimbledon

Thanks for all your replies. 

I will invest in some bronze wool and take all your advice on board. 

It's all trial and error at the moment. 

After reading your advice I think it could be down to using too much soap. 

Link to post
On 24/05/2020 at 19:14, Pjj said:

I wouldn’t seen to many people scratch windows using them 

What about the scrubbing pad on the ends of most applicator sleeves? It’s the same stuff isn’t it. I’ve always used it to get bird kicks off etc. 

Link to post
Dyl Wimbledon
3 minutes ago, Cleanco said:

What about the scrubbing pad on the ends of most applicator sleeves? It’s the same stuff isn’t it. I’ve always used it to get bird kicks off etc. 

Good point.

Maybe it's designed not to be as  abrasive as your standard household scourer ? 

Link to post
scottish cleaning service
1 hour ago, Dyl Wimbledon said:

Good point.

Maybe it's designed not to be as  abrasive as your standard household scourer ? 

I use the white scourer at end of pole from Gardiners.

Link to post
Kev martin
On 24/05/2020 at 17:15, Dyl Wimbledon said:

Hi all, 

Been practising on my house almost daily. 

Im getting fairly confident on all aspects of window cleaning. 

The only problem I have, I seem to be leaving a little bit of snail trails now and again on the window edges. It's bugging me as I want the windows to be perfect. 

Can anyone advice on what I could be doing wrong. 

I detail before and after using the squeege. 

I have used unger cloth , fishtail cloth and scrim and still seem to leave the odd trail with them all. 

Also, 

Is it safe to use green scouring pads on the glass? 

Thanks in advance. 

 

Hi , I’m doing exactly the same as u I done window cleaning a few yr ago trying to start up on me own now I’m following a guy on utube Darren @Green Pro Clean Ltd really interesting learning loads he says it how it is . Check it out & good luck 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
10 hours ago, Kev martin said:

I’m following a guy on utube Darren

When he's not busy filming - he drop's in here too 😉 

Link to post

Glad I dont do much trad. even with new rubber in, I go back and look, and under certain light, can see marks, like the blade hasnt pulled all the water/soap off evenly. Even holding a steady hand etc. Then another window will look fine. So I find now, every window im wiping over with a scrim after, just in case. So no, wfp is def king, and internals love? that will be triple.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Dyl Wimbledon
12 hours ago, Kev martin said:

Hi , I’m doing exactly the same as u I done window cleaning a few yr ago trying to start up on me own now I’m following a guy on utube Darren @Green Pro Clean Ltd really interesting learning loads he says it how it is . Check it out & good luck 👍

Thank you. 

I watch his videos any spare time I get. 

I agree with you, he is very good and informative. 

 

Link to post
On 24/05/2020 at 19:14, Pjj said:

I wouldn’t seen to many people scratch windows using them 

I use the washing up sponges with the green scourer one side.

Never had a scratch in nearly 30 years

On 25/05/2020 at 12:46, laddergarder said:

Make sure your cloth is dry, and try not put too much soap in the water.

I only detail at the end, not before. That helps if your straight stroking a window, but not nessasary if your fanning with the squeegee.

Or never detail with the right equipment and technique. 

Watch Bob Hatt (polz'n'bladz) on YouTube. 

I tested all the prototypes of the liquidator and you can't go wrong.

It is a game changer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

def need to try out the liquidator, seems like could often make some of my work easier, I guess it comes in various widths? I usually do straight pulls as I dont do enough trad to get the skill how the pros do it, so guess I would always have to go over with a scrim where the line would be?

Link to post
1 hour ago, ks789 said:

def need to try out the liquidator, seems like could often make some of my work easier, I guess it comes in various widths? I usually do straight pulls as I dont do enough trad to get the skill how the pros do it, so guess I would always have to go over with a scrim where the line would be?

Seriously watch polz'n'bladz on youtube.

He designed the liquidators with moerman (and a very nice bloke to talk to if you need advice)

Been meaning to catch up with him at a trade show for ages but never seem to get to one.

He wfp's tops or uses the liquidators on a pole and trads bottoms and like me can trad bottoms as quick as someone can wfp them.

Just plenty of practice and experience. 

Once you master fanning with one you won't mess about with straight pulls although nothing wrong with it just quicker to do it how we do.

Soapy rag on the frames and sill.

Soap up and squeegee glass.

Use squeegee blade to take the soap off the sill.

Walk away to next window.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...
Green Pro Clean Ltd
On 28/05/2020 at 04:17, Kev martin said:

Hi , I’m doing exactly the same as u I done window cleaning a few yr ago trying to start up on me own now I’m following a guy on utube Darren @Green Pro Clean Ltd really interesting learning loads he says it how it is . Check it out & good luck 👍

You need a Netflix subscription if your watching **** like that 

Link to post
5 hours ago, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

You need a Netflix subscription if your watching **** like that 

How's the lockdown going in the Philippines.

Link to post
Green Pro Clean Ltd
54 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

How's the lockdown going in the Philippines.

Hot, humid, dragging out like no tomoorw, supplies are really low, I mean like pointless trying to shop now TBH - and here's the one you iwll like PT - BOOZE BAN - to avoid socializing -- 

Population 100 mil++ total confirmed cases 24'800 total deaths less than 1100 - 
UK Population 67 mil -- total confirmed cases 292'950 - total deaths - 41'400 - 

Perhaps Boris can learn a thing or three from these backwoods third world places?  

With those kinds of stats PT I will happily ride it out here though I would kill for a Steak and Ale Pie and a pint of Thatchers.  

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.