Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on detailing

Dyl Wimbledon

Hi all, 

Been practising on my house almost daily. 

Im getting fairly confident on all aspects of window cleaning. 

The only problem I have, I seem to be leaving a little bit of snail trails now and again on the window edges. It's bugging me as I want the windows to be perfect. 

Can anyone advice on what I could be doing wrong. 

I detail before and after using the squeege. 

I have used unger cloth , fishtail cloth and scrim and still seem to leave the odd trail with them all. 

Also, 

Is it safe to use green scouring pads on the glass? 

Thanks in advance. 

I wouldn’t seen to many people scratch windows using them 
Agree - shocking amount on new builds - post builders clean by numpties - much better off with a bladed 'window scraper' ensuring window is and stays nice and wet during use - or super fine bronze wool?

Make sure your cloth is dry, and try not put too much soap in the water.

I only detail at the end, not before. That helps if your straight stroking a window, but not nessasary if your fanning with the squeegee.

Thanks for all your replies. 

I will invest in some bronze wool and take all your advice on board. 

It's all trial and error at the moment. 

After reading your advice I think it could be down to using too much soap. 

Hi all, 

Been practising on my house almost daily. 

Im getting fairly confident on all aspects of window cleaning. 

The only problem I have, I seem to be leaving a little bit of snail trails now and again on the window edges. It's bugging me as I want the windows to be perfect. 

Can anyone advice on what I could be doing wrong. 

I detail before and after using the squeege. 

I have used unger cloth , fishtail cloth and scrim and still seem to leave the odd trail with them all. 

Also, 

Is it safe to use green scouring pads on the glass? 

Thanks in advance. 
Hi , I’m doing exactly the same as u I done window cleaning a few yr ago trying to start up on me own now I’m following a guy on utube Darren @Green Pro Clean Ltd really interesting learning loads he says it how it is . Check it out & good luck ?

Glad I dont do much trad. even with new rubber in, I go back and look, and under certain light, can see marks, like the blade hasnt pulled all the water/soap off evenly. Even holding a steady hand etc. Then another window will look fine. So I find now, every window im wiping over with a scrim after, just in case. So no, wfp is def king, and internals love? that will be triple.

I wouldn’t seen to many people scratch windows using them 
I use the washing up sponges with the green scourer one side.

Never had a scratch in nearly 30 years

Make sure your cloth is dry, and try not put too much soap in the water.

I only detail at the end, not before. That helps if your straight stroking a window, but not nessasary if your fanning with the squeegee.
Or never detail with the right equipment and technique. 

Watch Bob Hatt (polz'n'bladz) on YouTube. 

I tested all the prototypes of the liquidator and you can't go wrong.

It is a game changer.

def need to try out the liquidator, seems like could often make some of my work easier, I guess it comes in various widths? I usually do straight pulls as I dont do enough trad to get the skill how the pros do it, so guess I would always have to go over with a scrim where the line would be?

def need to try out the liquidator, seems like could often make some of my work easier, I guess it comes in various widths? I usually do straight pulls as I dont do enough trad to get the skill how the pros do it, so guess I would always have to go over with a scrim where the line would be?
Seriously watch polz'n'bladz on youtube.

He designed the liquidators with moerman (and a very nice bloke to talk to if you need advice)

Been meaning to catch up with him at a trade show for ages but never seem to get to one.

He wfp's tops or uses the liquidators on a pole and trads bottoms and like me can trad bottoms as quick as someone can wfp them.

Just plenty of practice and experience. 

Once you master fanning with one you won't mess about with straight pulls although nothing wrong with it just quicker to do it how we do.

Soapy rag on the frames and sill.

Soap up and squeegee glass.

Use squeegee blade to take the soap off the sill.

Walk away to next window.

How's the lockdown going in the Philippines.
Hot, humid, dragging out like no tomoorw, supplies are really low, I mean like pointless trying to shop now TBH - and here's the one you iwll like PT - BOOZE BAN - to avoid socializing -- 

Population 100 mil++ total confirmed cases 24'800 total deaths less than 1100 - 
UK Population 67 mil -- total confirmed cases 292'950 - total deaths - 41'400 - 

Perhaps Boris can learn a thing or three from these backwoods third world places?  

With those kinds of stats PT I will happily ride it out here though I would kill for a Steak and Ale Pie and a pint of Thatchers.  

Hot, humid, dragging out like no tomoorw, supplies are really low, I mean like pointless trying to shop now TBH - and here's the one you iwll like PT - BOOZE BAN - to avoid socializing -- 

Population 100 mil++ total confirmed cases 24'800 total deaths less than 1100 - 
UK Population 67 mil -- total confirmed cases 292'950 - total deaths - 41'400 - 

Perhaps Boris can learn a thing or three from these backwoods third world places?  

With those kinds of stats PT I will happily ride it out here though I would kill for a Steak and Ale Pie and a pint of Thatchers.  
Well to be fair, and I'm not defending Boris, imposing martial is a tad easier in third world countries. Your President has bit of a reputation of allowing gun happy law enforcement to do pretty much as they want without fear of retribution.

There might as well be a booze ban here as I don't enjoy drinking in the house. I'm working away next week and the hotel has an inner grass courtyard. I'll end up drinking more in the 3 nights away then I have in the 12 weeks since the pubs were shut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back