Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Fed Pole Start

Azz1

Hello everyone. Second post now : ) . I have a small People carrier. A Vauxhall Meriva. I would like a water Fed Pole system. Can I get a small tank to start of with. Plus has anyone notified the taxman straight away or waited till there business proper started to progress before telling them? 

Thanks

You might struggle with the Meriva. As our family car the Meriva was great, but when my workhorse (T Reg Nissan Primera) went off the road briefly I found the Meriva to be less friendly WFP wise. This of course is only my experience as none of my kit would fit. For example, the boot in the Primera holds six 25l barrels and my trolley. However, the Meriva boot was actually quite small. I was lucky to squeeze in four barrels with the trolley. The spare wheel is under the floor so fitting a small tank is probably not preferable over 25l barrels.

Having said all that, if all your work is close to base and you trad the downstairs it could work as you wouldn't need so much water.

Hello everyone. Second post now : ) . I have a small People carrier. A Vauxhall Meriva. I would like a water Fed Pole system. Can I get a small tank to start of with. Plus has anyone notified the taxman straight away or waited till there business proper started to progress before telling them? 

Thanks
When you start on the back foot equipment wise it's harder to get onto the right foot later. I know that from experience and I already owned a Suzuki Carry van before I became a window cleaner. If you can't get rid of your car then its going to be even harder. I wonder what happened to the cleaner who was going to use his Citroen Xsara car as a window cleaning vehicle.

I don't know which forum its was on but there was a new starter who turned his mini into a window cleaning vehicle with a small fitted tank. He thought this was going to attract customers. As quickly as he came onto the forum he disappeared. This isn't the kind of business you can market using a Dellboy Robin Reliant.

Going into wfp is an expensive investment. If you haven't got the means or financial backing now then not many get over the first hurdle as you are always on the back foot.

At one time window cleaning equipment was a cheap ladder, an applicator, a squeegee, a bucket and some clothes. The family car with roof racks was the way of transporting the ladder. Its not any more. Not only do you need cleaning equipment, you also need pure water which is another topic.

If you are new to the business then starting into window cleaning isn't as easy as it was in years gone by. Work is harder to come by and we have had a lot of Covid19 cancellations and postponements due to the financial uncertainty of the times. Some areas are over run with window cleaners all competing for a slice of a shrinking market.

I don't mean to be negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to agree with spruce here. The Primera worked for me when I made the switch 13 years ago because I had a very compact round built up over 30 odd years of working on the estate I now live on. I will probably never need a van. However, if I were to start up now I would look for a small van at the very least. Something that could support the weight of a 350L tank at least for residential work. For commercial work it would have to be bigger 

Latest Posts

Back