Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best vans and pics ?

Joel

Hey all thinking of getting another van soon but wondered what the best vans are for realiability and price, I'm a vw fan anyway and currently looking into the ex British gas caddy maxi vans, pics and recommendations greatly appreciated, cheers guys

Hey all thinking of getting another van soon but wondered what the best vans are for realiability and price, I'm a vw fan anyway and currently looking into the ex British gas caddy maxi vans, pics and recommendations greatly appreciated, cheers guys
Citroen berlingo long wheel or dispatch if wantinh something abit bigger 

That’s my recommendations 

TBH, I am similar, not so much that im a VW 'fan', but I wont buy a french van, which rules out everything but VW?
If you do go for a Caddy Maxi, remember the payload isnt the biggest. And try and get a 1.9PD or a 2.0, the 1.6  Tdi has a terrible EGR system that costs a ton to replace/repair, and with lots of short journeys would become a problem pretty quick.
Our old Caddy has the good old faithful 1.9PD, 280,000 miles and counting? and no DPF to worry about.

IMG_20181022_164258.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH, I am similar, not so much that im a VW 'fan', but I wont buy a french van, which rules out everything but VW?
If you do go for a Caddy Maxi, remember the payload isnt the biggest. And try and get a 1.9PD or a 2.0, the 1.6  Tdi has a terrible EGR system that costs a ton to replace/repair, and with lots of short journeys would become a problem pretty quick.
Our old Caddy has the good old faithful 1.9PD, 280,000 miles and counting? and no DPF to worry about.
Haha yes, definately a 1.9 the current van I'm using now is my own VW T4 1.9td which is really my camper. But when made redundant from my previous job 2 years ago, it's the only van I have to use. Pains to me to use her for business so would like to get another and give the T4 the TLC it needs ?

Never had any problems with my long wheel berlingo, I found it at Bristol street motors coventry, 

65plate 24k on the clock 3seats 6.1k paid no vat
I also hate french vehicles but unfortunately it’s the only model of van  that will give you over 1500kg payload without going into the 5 ton and operators licence zone ????

I'm also into VW's.... but 3 years ago I wanted a van and the only one with a decent payload and capacity to carry a 500 litre tank and paraphernalia and so  I bought a 3 year-old Peugeot Partner with 55k for £5000 with vat and it's been totally reliable which really surprised me, however I think Caddys now have a bigger payload but are also reassuringly expensive.......

I'm also into VW's.... but 3 years ago I wanted a van and the only one with a decent payload and capacity to carry a 500 litre tank and paraphernalia and so  I bought a 3 year-old Peugeot Partner with 55k for £5000 with vat and it's been totally reliable which really surprised me, however I think Caddys now have a bigger payload but are also reassuringly expensive.......
Peugeot always had great engines. My mechanic was telling me he lifted the lid on an A class and a Belingo engine was staring him in the face.

PSA group do diesels for:

Mercedes
Nissan
Peugeot
Renault
Citroen
Ford
and probably soon Vauxhall after the takeover. Theres probably a couple I've missed too!

PSA group do diesels for:

Mercedes
Nissan
Peugeot
Renault
Citroen
Ford
and probably soon Vauxhall after the takeover. Theres probably a couple I've missed too!
They should do BMW because my customer bought a new one and the engine blew up. Apparently they are using plastic for their manifolds. He told me it was easier for them to fit a new engine in it. Heat and plastic don't mix but they are doing the same with combi boilers now, not sure why.

They should do BMW because my customer bought a new one and the engine blew up. Apparently they are using plastic for their manifolds. He told me it was easier for them to fit a new engine in it. Heat and plastic don't mix but they are doing the same with combi boilers now, not sure why.
Plastic manifolds have been around since the early 2000s on a lot of cars, absoloutely rediculous if you ask me..
Had similar with the only fault on my skoda over 200k of use, the thermostat housing is made of plastic, just the material for something that has constant heat cycles going through it! Went brittle and started to leak, all the metal parts work ok though?

Mercedes Benz Vito gets my vote. I've had years of super-reliable service from them. I don't know what the payload is. I have a 650ltr flat tank, two operators, two reels, two heavy leisure batteries, a backpack permanently strapped to an alloy sack truck, short double ladder inside, heavy duty tele ladder also inside and a large double ladder on the roof. Lots of other equipment also permanently carried inside. The Vito walks away with it, no problem.

20200317_153516.jpg

Nice van makes all the difference and I like it saying hot water system as not many do. I picked up another customer today in an area that all the other cleaners have left and looks like I'm the only one now. I can do the windows and gutters in 2hrs but I'm usually there 4hrs talking to customers or sawing off branches from over hanging trees. They have a factor but takes ages to get things done. If I keep doing all the small jobs around there then I may as well become the factor. ?

Nice van makes all the difference and I like it saying hot water system as not many do. I picked up another customer today in an area that all the other cleaners have left and looks like I'm the only one now. I can do the windows and gutters in 2hrs but I'm usually there 4hrs talking to customers or sawing off branches from over hanging trees. They have a factor but takes ages to get things done. If I keep doing all the small jobs around there then I may as well become the factor. ?
Thanks Scottish. Son and I are delighted with our van. ??

VW's come with quite a premium - Ford Transit for me - no problems to date - nice kit and payload and load compartment ?

With the £ saved I've pimped her too  

Latest Posts

Back