Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

HELP, lost cable to water system

Loops81

Good evening. 

My husband is new to this and we've mislaid the lead/charger during a house move. 

Spoke to an electrician who said we just needed a kettle lead but each then we try it, it trips the house. 

I've no idea what to do, the battery is almost gone and we have customers due. We only use it for unable to reach areas but we're just so stuck. 

Can I get any advice on what to do? My husband thinks it wasn't just a lead, it had a transformer type box too. This is the photo we have of it 

I really appreciate and thank you in advance for any replies 

Screenshot_20200524_212854_com.whatsapp.jpg

Good evening. 

My husband is new to this and we've mislaid the lead/charger during a house move. 

Spoke to an electrician who said we just needed a kettle lead but each then we try it, it trips the house. 

I've no idea what to do, the battery is almost gone and we have customers due. We only use it for unable to reach areas but we're just so stuck. 

Can I get any advice on what to do? My husband thinks it wasn't just a lead, it had a transformer type box too. This is the photo we have of it 

View attachment 20621
Good evening to you. Sorry it's so late but I only just saw your post. That looks like, or very similar to a Gardiner backpack. In which case the electrician is wrong and your husband is correct. The lead has a 12 volt transformer on it. An ordinary mains lead without the transformer could , if you get one to fit, at the very least fry the unit or blow up the battery. I would contact Gardiner on Tuesday morning : 01726 66400. They will sort you out rapidly, I'd be confident.

Good luck. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a car battery charger?

If you take the bottom off the backpack, you’ll be able to access the terminals on the small 12v battery inside and use the car battery charger.

Do you have a car battery charger?

If you take the bottom off the backpack, you’ll be able to access the terminals on the small 12v battery inside and use the car battery charger.
I would be scared of doing this. My son did it with his flat motor cycle battery and destroyed it.

Good evening to you. Sorry it's so late but I only just saw your post. That looks like, or very similar to a Gardiner backpack. In which case the electrician is wrong and your husband is correct. The lead has a 12 volt transformer on it. An ordinary mains lead without the transformer could , if you get one to fit, at the very least fry the unit or blow up the battery. I would contact Gardiner on Tuesday morning : 01726 66400. They will sort you out rapidly, I'd be confident.

Good luck. ?
Thank you so much for replying. I'll certainly do that, I really appreciate your help, so kind. 

Good evening. 

View attachment 20621
It clearly says on the label 12v. If you have put 230v into it then you have probably at worst damaged the battery as well.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/backpack-spares-v3/backpack-charger-240v-uk-plug.html

My first thought was just to replace the backpack but I see Gardiners are out of stock until July.

The backpack is available on Amazon at a price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure he is a qualified electrician?
Its a mistake that can easily happen. In the real world we know what's inside a backpack. Not everyone does. The backpack uses a 230 socket and plug which are generally found in old kettles and those hot water urns. He could well have thought it had its own 230v to 12v transformer inside. In all honesty, that socket should not be a 230v type socket. Its just not good electrical practice. It doesn't need a socket with 3 terminals as the charger uses a twin cable - positive and negative.

I questioned the Gardiner backpack using the same socket when we first got ours. The Shurflo backpack we had first had a different socket and plug as did our last backpack.

Back