Best soap and water mix? Im intrigued.

Hi guys, 

Been using good old fairy liquid since day one.... most of my customers are done with the WFP and only have a small bunch of trad customers each month now. One of these is a very large shop front which I find can leave small rainbow streaks. At first I thought it was the technique but I kept at it and revised vids etc online and yet no matter what fanning technique I used it always ended up showing those damn rainbow lines. I’ve changed rubbers for new ones, tried less slip in the bucket and more slip in the bucket! Any idea guys!? 

What slip do you guys use? 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teddington Window Cleaners

• Mx19

• Dave B

• Martyn

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s beacause wfp is far better , trad has its place but is a dying art I know many wfp cleaners who don’t  evan carry a squeegee let alone know how to use it . Would you want to drive a model t For

You're all talking tripe.....I firmly believe a rat tailed mop and beer towel  for the frames is the way forward!

Not at all, hence the reason I have invested thousands into my business. I just use what is necessary for the job at hand. Fairy liquid (other brands are available) will leave you with a window j

Posted Images

Teddington Window Cleaners

Washing up liquid is not great and I avoid it. 

I use HG or the Unger Liquid 

1 hour ago, Teddington Window Cleaners said:

Washing up liquid is not great and I avoid it. 

I use HG or the Unger Liquid 

Nothing wrong with washing up liquid at all..It was all I ever used in the years before going wfp without any issues, waste of money buying the “premium” liquids. Just use a minimal amount. 

• Agree 2
laddergarder

A bit of fairy on the applicator and dunk in the bucket, if it gets a bit too watery I add more. A couple of lines of fairy either side usually does it. I cant see the soap being the problem to be honest.

1 hour ago, laddergarder said:

A bit of fairy on the applicator and dunk in the bucket, if it gets a bit too watery I add more. A couple of lines of fairy either side usually does it. I cant see the soap being the problem to be honest.

This 👆🏼

Stick with the good old fairy. It’s done me right for the last 20+ years. Sounds more like you’ve got a batch of dodgy rubber. 

GG3 or GG4 are brilliant but produce no suds so in bright light it can be hard to see what you are doing. I used to use Ungers but found the quality dropped so gave up on it. If you like to apply it to your applicator try the Moerman Pro.

On 25/05/2020 at 10:42, Mx19 said:

Nothing wrong with washing up liquid at all..It was all I ever used in the years before going wfp without any issues, waste of money buying the “premium” liquids. Just use a minimal amount. 

Waste of money! How cheap are you? Premium liquids!! Do you wash your face with washing up liquid also? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Mx19 said:

No mate, not running a business washing faces though 😉 

Do you put washing up liquid in your WFP machines then? 

Just now, Teddington Window Cleaners said:

Do you put washing up liquid in your WFP machines then? 

No mate, no need for an additive in pure water.

I mostly wfp, but do a bit trad, mostly internal and just put a dash of any liquid, usually fairy, or whatevers there, in a bucket and gallon or so of pure and splosh it up. that does the whole house easy. tradders ive spoke to just use fairy or whatever their mrs buys.

2 minutes ago, Mx19 said:

No mate, no need for an additive in pure water.

So use washing up liquid when you don’t need to make excuses! And wen you don’t want to climb the ladder you use magic water? Hahaha!! 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Teddington Window Cleaners said:

So use washing up liquid when you don’t need to make excuses! And wen you don’t want to climb the ladder you use magic water? Hahaha!! 

Terribly sorry, have I hit a nerve Teddington? 

Edited by Mx19
3 minutes ago, ks789 said:

I mostly wfp, but do a bit trad, mostly internal and just put a dash of any liquid, usually fairy, or whatevers there, in a bucket and gallon or so of pure and splosh it up. that does the whole house easy. tradders ive spoke to just use fairy or whatever their mrs buys.

And some of those little cottages with small windows, ive just used damp scrim and dry scrim, was just as quick as squeegy and seemed less faff.

10 minutes ago, Mx19 said:

Have I hit a nerve Teddington? 

Well it just seems like you use cheap **** wen nobody  is questioning your integrity. 

I use quality product in all the windows I wash 

Not at all, hence the reason I have invested thousands into my business. I just use what is necessary for the job at hand.

Fairy liquid (other brands are available) will leave you with a window just as clean as any other soap/slip you choose to use when used correctly that is all I was stating.

We're all here for the same reasons, to provide a quality service, leaving customers with perfectly clean windows, all while turning a profit to keep the business running. We're all entitled to our opinions and I apologise if I insulted you with mine. 

5 minutes ago, Mx19 said:

Not at all, hence the reason I have invested thousands into my business. I just use what is necessary for the job at hand.

Fairy liquid (other brands are available) will leave you with a window just as clean as any other soap/slip you choose to use when used correctly that is all I was stating.

We're all here for the same reasons, to provide a quality service, leaving customers with perfectly clean windows, all while turning a profit to keep the business running. We're all entitled to our opinions and I apologise if I insulted you with mine. 

I just don’t understand why you wfp guys have to chip in all the trad posts, when most of you have no idea about traditional window cleaning!? 

fairy liquid is for washing dishes! You got a problem with streaks!!? Use the proper tools!! It’s easy! Don’t cut corners 

2 minutes ago, Teddington Window Cleaners said:

I just don’t understand why you wfp guys have to chip in all the trad posts, when most of you have no idea about traditional window cleaning!? 

fairy liquid is for washing dishes! You got a problem with streaks!!? Use the proper tools!! It’s easy! Don’t cut corners 

Most of us older  window cleaners have also got many years experience of trad cleaning under our belts as well as wfp so have a vast knowledge and are able to offer opinions on both ways to try and help new starters ,