Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello (and stuck to "take the plunge")

matt1458

Hi guys,

Have been reading posts for a few weeks now but only just registered. First post here so mostly wanted to say hi.

I've been looking at starting up in my local area for a little while now, there's a couple of businesses that work in the area but demand is clearly pretty good (we tried a few times over the last 6 months to get a regular clean but 2 businesses were too busy to even quote!)

I've worked for myself since 2014 so the actual business requirements, self employed pitfalls side of things isn't new to me, I worked for a commercial cleaning company a few years back but window cleaning isn't something I've done myself before, although I've watched endless videos on YouTube and have willing family houses to let me get the hang of things!

I've been researching systems for weeks that fit my budget, what size vehicle I'd need, payloads etc etc and I'm slightly concerned I might now be way overthinking this and its stopping me taking the plunge.

I have a budget to start up, its not massive, but from the research I've done, to have something that'll last me as I build up work I *think* I'm looking for a 350l system, RO (I bought a TDS meter and my tap water is 310ppm so I'm guessing RO is my only option!), based on what I've been looking at on thecleaningwarehouse, I think I need a van with a minimum payload (before me) of 650kg.

I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times so apologies for repeating the same old questions, but does anyone have any advice on the best starter systems, maybe what they would opt for if they were starting out again now? I'd also love to know how people rate their vans, the guys around me either seem to favour something the size of a Renault Trafic, or a Transit Connect. I'm still at a loss as to whether the larger van really benefits, but I also don't want something too small to fit the kit in!!

Thanks again, it's refreshing people on here are so open and helpful to eachother, makes me more confident in getting into the industry!

Cheers

Matt 

Personally don’t  think 350 ltr tank will give you much room to expand your round work wise , I started with a 650 ltr tank although I already was working trad so had a reasonable round most sole traders seam to use 400-600 per day , I know some will say the work all day and go home with water with a 350 ltr system but if you are going to be poling everything I feel a bigger tank would be better.  But it would get you going but would probably need a bigger tank later on. Good luck with the new venture . 

Thank you guys, really appreciate your input on this. So vehicle wise i think it makes sense to go bigger for the reasons you mention, I doubt weight wise I’d get a tank too much bigger in a smaller van without it dragging its backside etc.

System wise I’ve been looking at:

https://www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/350l-framed-budget-system-2391-p.asp

which looks pretty comprehensive for someone just starting out, but I am obviously absolutely no expert at this so if there’s anything I should be looking out for I’d really appreciate the heads up!

Understood on the limits of tank size, does anyone have any rough ideas what to expect number of houses wise you’d get out of a 350 tank? Probably a how long is a piece of string question but houses around here are mostly new estate 2 - 3 bed semis if that helps

S

Hi guys,

Have been reading posts for a few weeks now but only just registered. First post here so mostly wanted to say hi.

I've been looking at starting up in my local area for a little while now, there's a couple of businesses that work in the area but demand is clearly pretty good (we tried a few times over the last 6 months to get a regular clean but 2 businesses were too busy to even quote!)

I've worked for myself since 2014 so the actual business requirements, self employed pitfalls side of things isn't new to me, I worked for a commercial cleaning company a few years back but window cleaning isn't something I've done myself before, although I've watched endless videos on YouTube and have willing family houses to let me get the hang of things!

I've been researching systems for weeks that fit my budget, what size vehicle I'd need, payloads etc etc and I'm slightly concerned I might now be way overthinking this and its stopping me taking the plunge.

I have a budget to start up, its not massive, but from the research I've done, to have something that'll last me as I build up work I *think* I'm looking for a 350l system, RO (I bought a TDS meter and my tap water is 310ppm so I'm guessing RO is my only option!), based on what I've been looking at on thecleaningwarehouse, I think I need a van with a minimum payload (before me) of 650kg.

I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times so apologies for repeating the same old questions, but does anyone have any advice on the best starter systems, maybe what they would opt for if they were starting out again now? I'd also love to know how people rate their vans, the guys around me either seem to favour something the size of a Renault Trafic, or a Transit Connect. I'm still at a loss as to whether the larger van really benefits, but I also don't want something too small to fit the kit in!!

Thanks again, it's refreshing people on here are so open and helpful to eachother, makes me more confident in getting into the industry!

Cheers

Matt 
Hi Matt, welcome to the house of fun. There is a current discussion on vans on the forum. I'd suggest that you read it through, and think it through. I can say again from years of ownership that the Vito is a beast of a workhorse. Is a delight to own and drive, carries everything I need and is a nice, medium size van for working around town and countryside.

As others have said I'd start with a minimum of 500 litres. That will do you in the early stages when you will use more water as you are learning. It will be big enough for you as a single operator foraa long time, if not indefinitely once you gain experience. All the information you need is on the forum, I'd say.

Read, study, and take some time to think it through.

The bigger the tank, the more future proofing you are getting and more potential earning in a day you can get. I would 100% recommend higher then 350L. 500L minimum.

The bigger the tank, the more future proofing you are getting and more potential earning in a day you can get. I would 100% recommend higher then 350L. 500L minimum.
I'm a single operator and also use a 500 litre tank and it gets drained on a busy day and because you've got 500 litre capacity it doesn't mean you have to brim it , but it's always there.

Systems wise it depends what you want to spend.

I chose Grippatank and although a bit dearer the quality and backup is excellent I had a crash tested double Di system fitted on my driveway in my Peugeot Partner. It's a small van but I work in tight urban streets vans I'd struggle to park anything bigger, and get everything I need in it.

Good luck.

Thank you again guys this is really helpful. I wish I’d just asked here earlier! Considering there’s not a vast difference in price I think the 500l option makes good sense.

@Davy G thank you for suggesting the van thread, just read through (your Vito looks brilliant btw).

I think a medium sized van makes sense for both payload and hopefully a little bit of future proofing, there’s a chance of a little commercial work in the future via a friend etc.

One final question if I may, the website with the system on mentions a “fill time” of anything from 6 - 24 hours. This is probably a dumb question but I’m assuming that’s the time to filter the water through the system to be ready to use.. does anyone have an average on their own fill time for a 500l system? A bit confused.

Thanks again all, really helpful 

We process our water at home. We switch on the processing system when we get back from work. Usually that's before 4pm. It will have about 600 litres processed by about 11 pm. I switch it off then. In the morning I backflush while I'm having breakfast. We always fill up in the evening ready for the next day's work. My system is probably small in comparison to a lot of the good folk on here (Streamline 650 GPD) but it does me the finest. I chose to process at home so I can produce independently of the van, ie when it's in for a service. I can maintain the equipment without having to get in the van which is full of equipment. But most importantly two things : I don't have to carry the weight in the van and bulk of the processing equipment and, because I process at home I always have a reserve of water if ever I run out in the van (very rare). It also means I can keep working if there was ever a problem processing. As I have a tank full in the van and another one at home.

Lots to think about, eh? But enjoy the planning of your new venture. ??

Lots to think about, eh?
There certainly is!! Hadn’t even considered what you mention about processing at home off the van. I’ve learned more in the last 12 hours than in the previous 3 weeks!

You would need to upgrade your R/O, we produce between 200 - 300l an hour through our van mounted system but have a 4040 R/O with booster pump. This is the system we have.
Makes sense. Thank you for the link that looks like a serious piece of kit!

Ive messaged them about their DIY systems and recommendations.

Looking forward to getting this ball rolling ?

It's best, cheaper, to produce at home into a holding tank, IBC, and then transfer into van. Only get a van mounted system if you travel and need to fill up or you haven't got the room at home for the tank. You could upgrade the original R/O to produce quicker than the current one, without laying out fortunes on 4040 R/O's.

It's best, cheaper, to produce at home into a holding tank, IBC, and then transfer into van
Got it. I probably should have considered this before. Glad I haven’t committed to anything yet!

So (again apologies for the newbie questions) with this setup I’d have a tank at home such as https://purefreedom.co.uk/trolley-system-pure-water-500-lt-holding-tank.htm Process the water here, then transfer to a delivery only system in the van?

I’m guessing that in turn reduces the payload requirements of the van, plus the other advantages.

This might be the way to go then. especially considering there’s a spotless water location “coming soon” about 2 miles from my front door which could be useful for emergencies if I can just fill the van direct

That is the type of thing you need but is expensive for what it is. There are far more technical lads on here that could advise on setting up a system for probably half that price, at least. Try the search bar as well as there should be plenty of info regarding producing pure. As for the Spotless Water "opening soon", I joined them about 3 or 4 years ago when they first rolled out the "new" sites and the one I wanted to use is still "coming soon"

Got it. I probably should have considered this before. Glad I haven’t committed to anything yet!

So (again apologies for the newbie questions) with this setup I’d have a tank at home such as https://purefreedom.co.uk/trolley-system-pure-water-500-lt-holding-tank.htm Process the water here, then transfer to a delivery only system in the van?

I’m guessing that in turn reduces the payload requirements of the van, plus the other advantages.

This might be the way to go then. especially considering there’s a spotless water location “coming soon” about 2 miles from my front door which could be useful for emergencies if I can just fill the van direct
If you have the room I'd suggest using a 1000 litre IBC tank. That will give you a great reserve of water starting out. You will have several days water to hand and you will also be future ready.

HI, I'm starting up after being made redundant. I'm no good with the DIY side of things so looking to get a van with a preinstalled system. 

I found one on ebay by a company called Aquapure 121. Has anyone used them? Are they any good?

I'd looked at Baileys as well but they are considerably more difficult to get to.

Any and all advice or recommendations also appreciated

Thanks

HI, I'm starting up after being made redundant. I'm no good with the DIY side of things so looking to get a van with a preinstalled system. 

I found one on ebay by a company called Aquapure 121. Has anyone used them? Are they any good?

I'd looked at Baileys as well but they are considerably more difficult to get to.

Any and all advice or recommendations also appreciated

Thanks
I have merged your topic as considerations on tank size etc will be something you need to think about, Just noticed your location Scottish Borders your closet person is http://daqua.co.uk @Chris33 may have had his first system fitted by and possibly his second when Doug was at one point I think fitting GrippaTank systems , I personally went to https://purefreedom.co.uk/water-fed-pole-systems/fully-fitted-van-systems.html who are based in Grimsby 

Latest Posts

Back