Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Air locks how to avoid

Bwfc

Don't u just hate them. I thought the days of all things going badly wrong were over until today... Terrible air lock on Gardiner pump managed to unblock then started again half way through a job. Then when getting small hose off pump broken small part on it so leaks too much now. Pump wasted 6 months old. Just look ordered another Gardiner hopefully won't take long to arrive. When windows going well it's such a great job, then it turns on u so....

Don't u just hate them. I thought the days of all things going badly wrong were over until today... Terrible air lock on Gardiner pump managed to unblock then started again half way through a job. Then when getting small hose off pump broken small part on it so leaks too much now. Pump wasted 6 months old. Just look ordered another Gardiner hopefully won't take long to arrive. When windows going well it's such a great job, then it turns on u so....
I used to get loads of airlocks. Im not sure which particular measure stopped them, but I 1) fitted a non return valve about a foot after the water tank outlet 2) moved the pump as low as possible ( i know others have theirs up higher with no problem though, but thought I'd try everything) and 3) removed the pressure switch thing off the pump.,cant remember how or what that was now, but dont need it with a controller. And, touch wood, longest time without air locks.

Do u think that any leak can cause air locks cos the hozelock fitting from pump to hose reel always leaked?

Ordered new reel current one has plastic fittings

Do u think that any leak can cause air locks cos the hozelock fitting from pump to hose reel always leaked?

im not sure if mines hoselock, think its similar, has GE on the side I think. its on end of hose from pump, and attaches to brass elbow/swivel fitting on reel. leeks a bit but not much. keep it tightened good. doesnt seem to cause airlocks. Also the attachments to pump must be tight and not leek, use ptf tape etc.

There are two main causes of air locks as far as I know : a leak In the suction side, between tank and pump. Or, a drain-down from the pipe back into the tank. Nature won't allow a vacuum so if water drains down to the tank air will replace it in the system. This air may be sucked in through a leak In the system, or syphoned back from the brush, I'm not sure. I can't see it coming from the tank unless it's virtually empty. Someone might be able to give a more informed answer.

Back