Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sunny Streaks Hell

Tom2202

Hi everyone.

I'm at my wits end right now and need some help.
I am a traditional ladder, bucket and squeegee windowcleaner and have been doing it about a decade now with no issues.

However, just recently, since the sun came out here in the UK, I'm getting really bad streaks.

Thing is, I'm using fresh rubbers on my squeegee, the same washing up liquid I always have [Fairy or Ecover) and haven't changed my technique or anything.
I have also noticed that in the shade my windows are coming up just fine so doubt it's my action. Just seems to be this hot sun.

Would getting some of the detergent as seen in the photo help me?

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/collections/soaps-and-solvents/products/facelift-razrglide-premium-detergent

Or any other tips? 

Its getting to the point where I am losing morale a bit. It's still Spring here and I don't want to be going through this issue all through Summer to the Autumn. I am having to spend a lot of time detailing and it is slowing me down a lot and hitting my income. 

It's just me for my business I prefer to work alone and have a moderate sized round so it is getting to a point where I could have trouble paying my rent, which worries me.

I try to do about 7 or 8 houses a day, but at the moment it's more like 5 or 6 with this constant streak rubbing. 

This is why I much prefer overcast days!

Hi everyone.

I am a traditional ladder, bucket and squeegee windowcleaner and have been doing it about a decade now with no issues.

However, just recently, since the sun came out here in the UK, I'm getting really bad streaks.

Thing is, I'm using fresh rubbers on my squeegee, the same washing up liquid I always have [Fairy or Ecover) and haven't changed my technique or anything.
I have also noticed that in the shade my windows are coming up just fine so doubt it's my action. Just seems to be this hot sun.

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/collections/soaps-and-solvents/products/facelift-razrglide-premium-detergent

Or any other tips? 

Its getting to the point where I am losing morale a bit. It's still Spring here and I don't want to be going through this issue all through Summer to the Autumn. I am having to spend a lot of time detailing and it is slowing me down a lot and hitting my income. 

It's just me for my business I prefer to work alone and have a moderate sized round so it is getting to a point where I could have trouble paying my rent, which worries me.

I try to do about 7 or 8 houses a day, but at the moment it's more like 5 or 6 with this constant streak rubbing. 

I dont do much trad but I often get this. It seems like with me, I might not have been pressing the blade down quite hard enough, to pull all the soap/water down. Sure am glad Im nearly all wfp. I really would suggest you dip your toe into wfp, and then those problems will be gone. All the info is online, and yer away.

To me it sounds like the water is drying too quickly due to the heat, you could try using some Winsol super slip or Sorbo Glide which should slow the evaporation down. I'm not familiar with the product you linked to but would suggest trying GG3/4.

Hi everyone.

Or any other tips? 

Maybe you are using too much soap or leaving the solution on the glass to long? Sun dries up in solution is seconds when in direct sun, I think most of us have had that issue at some point in time. For me personally, it is usually I just put a bit too much solution in and it is drying up to quickly or soft rubber is bleeding a bit on the glass, causing a dragging motion. Are you using hard or soft rubbers? I use soft rubbers all year round and in the hot weather I do get dragging issues in direct sunlight.

Don't lose heart, I know it's easy to say that but just keep trying different things and eventually you will find ways to adapt to situations, we have all gone through the same sh*t at some point, you push on ad push through because you have to. Getting into wfp imo should be your goal if you are doing houses, you will never have to worry about the above issues, although of course others will arise. WFP imo is the best and most efficient way to clean residential windows. I'm mostly commercial and have taken a massive hit with covid but I have to try find ways to push through as I don't have a choice really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried wetting the window twice to cool the glass a bit?

That usually works well for me, dunk my applicator in my bucket wet in the window liberally then back over it to scrub properly and blade it off. takes a bit of time wiping the excess water from the frames and cills, but easier than detailing the glass. 

Just add a bit more soap, that slows the evaporation. If its a doulbe hung, soap-squeegee-detail each pane seperately, rather than soaping the whole window then squeegeeing.
Agree, when it is hot and sunny tend to do one at a time to stop liquid drying on the glass before you can squeegee off.

Thanks for the replies

I took delivery of a bottle of that red detergent yesterday so will be trying it out the rest of this week to see if it helps somewhat....

Will let you know how it goes.

I only had one brush to begin with and did a  degreaser job on PVC then I went and did many of my neighbours windows with it. Nightmare, streaked all their glass and had to go back to Trading them next day. That was months ago and I have 7 brushes now so I did their windows with the wfp yesterday and no complaints, I think I have changed their minds. Will find out next month. 

Latest Posts

Back