Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Something I've not asked, but everyones asked me....

Bongofish

What happens in the weeks where we get constant rain in the uk? As now the weather is good it seems like a great buisness. Can you still go out, earn money? Spend these days flyering and doing the books an collecting? 

Thanks all as everyone I've spoke to about setting up as a window cleaner, this is the first thing they reply with. 

Everyone has a different outlook on that point, some bash on regardless, others like me, dont want to annoy people, but loose out in the process, that's why you have to price things correctly to tide you over for holidays, bad weather n illness.,what about paying a pension? not got that one worked out

It kind of immaterial when one is using wfp because it leave the windows wet. You are providing an all round service, they either want it or they don't. Once you have many customers, you don't suffer fools gladly and move on. You want to build a relationship with your customer, money becomes immaterial unless they stop paying. ?

Rain is virtually pure and unless falling sideways won't make any difference if wfp.

I also trad bottoms in the rain as I have no detailing anyway so the glass is clean.

It kind of immaterial when one is using wfp because it leave the windows wet. You are providing an all round service, they either want it or they don't. Once you have many customers, you don't suffer fools gladly and move on. You want to build a relationship with your customer, money becomes immaterial unless they stop paying. ?
But window cleaning is only part of your business as you do loads of add ons which is why you were talking about needing a 7.5 tonner I seem to remember...so you have other work when raining?

When it’s heavy Showers I dodge them by sitting in the van for 5 mins. When it’s light I crack on. Call me a softy but when it’s pouring all day I go home. I make enough at other times and the few times I have cracked on and got soaked, I’ve ended up getting a cold and then being off anyway. 

When it’s heavy Showers I dodge them by sitting in the van for 5 mins. When it’s light I crack on. Call me a softy but when it’s pouring all day I go home. I make enough at other times and the few times I have cracked on and got soaked, I’ve ended up getting a cold and then being off anyway. 
Being cold and wet doesn't give you a cold.. complete fallacy..you need to be exposed to the virus or bacteria to catch something. 

But window cleaning is only part of your business as you do loads of add ons which is why you were talking about needing a 7.5 tonner I seem to remember...so you have other work when raining?
Yes, till I found out I need to get a kind of mot every 6 to 12 weeks. Today I was scraping a domestic garage roof and painting round the edge of it. Tomorrow I'm painting a small outside wall which any windy could easily do, its not rocket science. It all depends if a window cleaner wants to do odd jobs but the demand is there.

Being cold and wet doesn't give you a cold.. complete fallacy..you need to be exposed to the virus or bacteria to catch something. 
Interesting point, as I get a cold quite easily n at times get one after getting soaked, not had a cold for at least 10wks that's a record for me,but weather dry n not touching money without sanitizing. I'm not working at maximum, so body not getting wrecked n worn out making it more susceptible to catching bugs. 

Window surfer sounds like you need to boost your Vitamin C intake (Broccoli, cantaloupe, cauliflower, kale, kiwi, orange juice, papaya, red, green or yellow pepper, sweet potato, strawberries, and tomatoes or sunshine)...being based in Scotland I wouldn't rely on the warm dry weather? - being cold and getting a cold - not related in anyway - you need to improve your immune system - plenty of rest and nourishment - no more iron bru !

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting point, as I get a cold quite easily n at times get one after getting soaked, not had a cold for at least 10wks that's a record for me,but weather dry n not touching money without sanitizing. I'm not working at maximum, so body not getting wrecked n worn out making it more susceptible to catching bugs. 
I never get I'll except usually a winter cold around xmas.

Not been ill since then and probably won't be until around then again.

Immune system is spot on.

I never get I'll except usually a winter cold around xmas.

Not been ill since then and probably won't be until around then again.

Immune system is spot on.
That's the same as me, never had the.flu in my life. The virus is only the second time I've ever been unable to work because of an ailment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick one on the main point, I have a T&Cs list I send to new customers (and ask them to read) that mentions we work in the rain. Means I'm not worried cause if they do bring it up and moan they've already been told.

Back