Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing a house

Bongofish

So I figured the best way to work put my starting pries would be to see how long it takes me to clean my own windows. I have a semi detached 3 bedroom house with 3 windows an door at front and conservatory with 3 windows at rear. Here is a picture of the conservatory....a fairly standard size. 

What process would you be looking at to do my house with and without the conservatory roof included and what time frame would you be putting on spending cleaning my windows. 

Want to try and work out how long it takes me and how much to charge and work out a possible hourly rate. 
spacer.png

20200529_135839.jpg

You've got one of those conservatories where you can't clean the windows down the fence side. All they have to do is leave another 6 inches and we could clean them.
Agree, when you see a job that has that sort of access problem on one side to clean, best to tell the customer you cannot do that side...if you agree a higher price to do it you will still lose out because of the trouble  and faffing about entailed trying to accompish the task.

What I've found works well and has suited me is to walk around the house looking at each window and writing down how long you think it will take to clean each window and each door then add up all the minutes and that gives you your time.  Doing it this way cuts out the guess work. 

Some semi’s might look the same, but when you walk round adding up all the minutes you realise that they’re not the same, some can have an extra 3 windows with double doors or worse still bi-fold doors.  It all adds time, you might think it’s only 5 minutes but that’s another £3 to £4.

Some will tell you it’s seconds not minutes to clean windows, it all depends on your kit, how thorough you are and how fast you can physically work.  Only you can know how long it will take you so don’t take everyone elses advice on how long it will take, work it out for yourself and then decide on your hourly rate that you want. 

I aim for £35 to £40 per hour but rarely achieve above £30.  The work is priced up to earn that and more but something always holds me back, today I had an air lock that was almost impossible to solve, I thought the machine had broke, took 10 minutes to fix, each customer had at least 10 minute long conversations with me, it’s part of the parcel and why you need to price on the high side.

Back