TDS reading help?

Hi all

Sorry for many posts on different topics but going through didnt phases. Just got my TDS meter and our water registers at 262ppm an flashes red....however I tried with a cup of bottled water and that got a register of 273....amd I missing something here. Websites say we are in a soft water area but the reader is flashing red? 

1 hour ago, Bongofish said:

Hi all

Sorry for many posts on different topics but going through didnt phases. Just got my TDS meter and our water registers at 262ppm an flashes red....however I tried with a cup of bottled water and that got a register of 273....amd I missing something here. Websites say we are in a soft water area but the reader is flashing red? 

I can't answer for the flashing red but my guess for the 273 reading on the bottled water is that it's mineral water, so will probably have been naturally filtered through limestone or other minerals.

So is my only option at this point with a reading of 262 to buy purified water? Is this the simplest way? 

No. You could buy an RO and filter the water yourself. A decent RO should get your TDS down to around 007 / 008 ppm

12 minutes ago, Rickadoo said:

No. You could buy an RO and filter the water yourself. A decent RO should get your TDS down to around 007 / 008 ppm

Can you reccomend a reasonably priced system.? 

2 minutes ago, Bongofish said:

Can you reccomend a reasonably priced system.? 

The one I have I got from @doug atkinson at daqua.co.uk Maybe he’s your man. Got mine from there. About £600 a couple of years ago. Still brings my TDS down to around 002/ 003 ppm from around 115 at the tap. 

doug atkinson
18 hours ago, Bongofish said:

Hi all

Is there a flashing symbol x 10? If so you have water not fit for consumption