Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Looking for some training in soft washing

Hoops

Been cleaning windows for a short while now and now want to add softwashing to our services. A local friend has a huge softwash set up but seems to just wing it. He’s helped with bits here and there but I’m looking for a bunch of advice on here. 

I’ve ordered two Gardiner backpacks with lances and poles with fan jets to apply at height. We have PPE and now just need to become more confident in it. I look all over the internet, have read through all of Benz softwash stuff and countless you tube vids. Forums helped with window cleaning bits so hoping it helps here. 

We did our first test tonight on some of the lower coins on my house before it’s renovated. We have a tub of 15% sodium hypochlorite and added fairy to our three hand pumps at 1,2 and 3 percent mix. We tested small areas and though you could definitely see it working it didn’t have the desired affect. Didn’t look to us like it was sticking, we applied it to some dull black stained pvc window frames too and it barely did a thing. Watered down cif does a better job for Christ’s sake. 

Im sure I’m going to get some stick and told not to mix this stuff with knowledge found on the internet but what I’m really after is some definitive advice (by any of you lot that get desired results with similar chemicals and equipment) on the following:

- Mix Ratios (how do you get your %)?

- What ratios work on what surfaces?

- What surfactant to use and how much? 

- How long to let it dwell?

- Rub in or spray and rinse? 

- How do I know if it’s sticking? Is it foamy in any way as our test batch weren’t foamy at all. 

Any help is appreciated guys,

thanks 

B031E0B5-147E-4753-BB42-C18054E159A3.jpeg

E9FA449B-D2B1-456F-8A9E-0A0150CF4917.jpeg

Been cleaning windows for a short while now and now want to add softwashing to our services. A local friend has a huge softwash set up but seems to just wing it. He’s helped with bits here and there but I’m looking for a bunch of advice on here. 

I’ve ordered two Gardiner backpacks with lances and poles with fan jets to apply at height. We have PPE and now just need to become more confident in it. I look all over the internet, have read through all of Benz softwash stuff and countless you tube vids. Forums helped with window cleaning bits so hoping it helps here. 

We did our first test tonight on some of the lower coins on my house before it’s renovated. We have a tub of 15% sodium hypochlorite and added fairy to our three hand pumps at 1,2 and 3 percent mix. We tested small areas and though you could definitely see it working it didn’t have the desired affect. Didn’t look to us like it was sticking, we applied it to some dull black stained pvc window frames too and it barely did a thing. Watered down cif does a better job for Christ’s sake. 

Im sure I’m going to get some stick and told not to mix this stuff with knowledge found on the internet but what I’m really after is some definitive advice (by any of you lot that get desired results with similar chemicals and equipment) on the following:

- How do I know if it’s sticking? Is it foamy in any way as our test batch weren’t foamy at all. 

thanks 

View attachment 20665

View attachment 20666
Unfortunately a little knowledge is dangerous, do  not add washing up liquid to hypo it’s dangerous and illegal , best thing to do is go on a course , Darren at purple rhino dies them they are very well structured, there is no hard sell to buy there chemicals or kit  , but it will give you a good overall knowledge of the subject so you know what hypo will do and won’t .  

thanks 

View attachment 20665

View attachment 20666
Your two shiny new backpacks will not be covered under warranty if used for softwash chemical application such as SH. Also the standard supplier installed pumps are not chemical rated and dont have chemical grade Viton seals in them.

A cheap garden sprayer or a Ionics Constant flow using contact is the preferred method along with a vehicle mounted spray system 

Your two shiny new backpacks will not be covered under warranty if used for softwash chemical application such as SH. Also the standard supplier installed pumps are not chemical rated and dont have chemical grade Viton seals in them.

A cheap garden sprayer or a Ionics Constant flow using contact is the preferred method along with a vehicle mounted spray system 
Gardiner backpacks are very good for  softwashing with hypo yes it will In validate the warranty but at £115 a go it’s payed for on the first job , we find they last around 3 years or so , it’s a very good way to start off soft washing  have done  some quite big buildings using them 

Back