Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Large pure water storage

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BigFoot

My local Res is very low on water ( I find that ironic since it wasn’t long ago I was flooded out of my home!)

if this beautiful weather continues There will be a shortage and the possibility of residential stoppages in supply. 
I have a 1000 ibc keeps me going 2.5-3 days one user my brother fills up too he uses a little less so two days for two users at current demand.

has anyone on here experience of larger storage systems even if it’s staking Ibc’s im very interested.

My local Res is very low on water ( I find that ironic since it wasn’t long ago I was flooded out of my home!)

if this beautiful weather continues There will be a shortage and the possibility of residential stoppages in supply. 
I have a 1000 ibc keeps me going 2.5-3 days one user my brother fills up too he uses a little less so two days for two users at current demand.

has anyone on here experience of larger storage systems even if it’s staking Ibc’s im very interested.
Write to your local MP. We should all do the same. I'm intending on doing it tomorrow after work. You were flooded out. The reses need to be deepened but they won't be unless folk kick up a fuss with their MPs. We will end up paying when they are eventually forced to, if we don't make a fuss now and have the water companies forced to pay for what should be standard maintenance.

Write to your local MP. We should all do the same. I'm intending on doing it tomorrow after work. You were flooded out. The reses need to be deepened but they won't be unless folk kick up a fuss with their MPs. We will end up paying when they are eventually forced to, if we don't make a fuss now and have the water companies forced to pay for what should be standard maintenance.
They won't deepen the reservoir but what they could do would be to build up the sides. I heard the rich are into rainwater harvesting down south by fitting a massive tank under their gardens. That's the reason all the sink holes are appearing and the water table is gradually going down.

They won't deepen the reservoir but what they could do would be to build up the sides. I heard the rich are into rainwater harvesting down south by fitting a massive tank under their gardens. That's the reason all the sink holes are appearing and the water table is gradually going down.
Deepen the reses and use what comes out to raise the banks. Can't be difficult with modern machinery and the reses half dry. Mark my words, we will end up paying, while the executives and shareholders continue to make huge profits. They will blame everyone rather than spending money on maintenance.

I live in the South, I don't have an underground tank and I don't know anyone that has. The water tables are going down because there's not enough maintenance done, not because of a handful of underground tanks in private ownership. If everyone had huge storage and the reses were maintained there would be plenty water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two reses that fed into my main Ponsticill Res were decommissioned one a while ago the second last year Bulldozed it. One of the reasons the Taff flooded so bad in Pontypridd this year in my opinion is because the buffer of that Res was no longer there, our main Res had to open the floodgates and now it doesn’t have enough water. Bad management certainly.

Essential companies like electricity, gas and water should never be privatised because the money that should be spent on maintenance goes on dividends to shareholders. When the companies want more money then all they do is put up prices. We are lucky up here as Scottish Water wasn't privatised and that's why they are spending £4 Billion building a new sewer system. As for deepening the reservoir, you will find its mostly silt and sand at the bottom so no good for strengthening the sides. Japan built Kansia airport out on the sea and thought it was a great idea. Knocked down a mountain and used the rock to create an artificial island. It wasn't till they had ran out of stone that they began to understand what was happening. The sea bed is silt and sand so rocks sink to the bottom of it. I think they had to knock down another two mountains, dump the rock in the sea and build the airport on jacks because its still sinking an inch each year. Our new hospital is sinking 2 inches a year because of the marshy ground and fourteen stories standing on it.

I think your only answer Dave is to copy us and try and get your water company nationalised again but you would need to get all their customers to sign a petition. Good luck

Essential companies like electricity, gas and water should never be privatised because the money that should be spent on maintenance goes on dividends to shareholders. When the companies want more money then all they do is put up prices. We are lucky up here as Scottish Water wasn't privatised and that's why they are spending £4 Billion building a new sewer system. As for deepening the reservoir, you will find its mostly silt and sand at the bottom so no good for strengthening the sides. Japan built Kansia airport out on the sea and thought it was a great idea. Knocked down a mountain and used the rock to create an artificial island. It wasn't till they had ran out of stone that they began to understand what was happening. The sea bed is silt and sand so rocks sink to the bottom of it. I think they had to knock down another two mountains, dump the rock in the sea and build the airport on jacks because its still sinking an inch each year. Our new hospital is sinking 2 inches a year because of the marshy ground and fourteen stories standing on it.

I think your only answer Dave is to copy us and try and get your water company nationalised again but you would need to get all their customers to sign a petition. Good luck
Yeah! That'd be a doddle. ?

Two reses that fed into my main Ponsticill Res were decommissioned one a while ago the second last year Bulldozed it. One of the reasons the Taff flooded so bad in Pontypridd this year in my opinion is because the buffer of that Res was no longer there, our main Res had to open the floodgates and now it doesn’t have enough water. Bad management certainly.
Didn’t know they’d done that. What about Talybont?

Didn’t know they’d done that. What about Talybont?
Talybont has had no changes to the best of my knowledge.

attached are before and after drainage photos It is a building site at the moment JCB etc they have removed the dam wall and are now laying pathways and landscaping. Ruined if you ask me, I regularly walk the horseshoe trail and start at that Res.

AF504037-E1FE-4D05-A2EB-9F576C452A5B.jpeg

DF6C8CB5-FBA6-450D-B061-D5B209FD3EF8.jpeg

I have 3x1000L IBCs that I fill separately via a means of ball valves which connect into a PVC manifold system I made. I prefer the ball valve method as they are each individually protected from failure or leakage. If one fails I still have two remaining. I simply pump from one at a time into my van using IBC to hoselock style caps 

Back