Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pole advise please

Diamond geezer

I want to buy an slx 18 or 22,for an every day pole.i have a 33ft carbon fibre for the higher stuff. Iam just 6ft tall.ive given it a lot of thought,and was favoriing the 18 over the 22 to save a bit of weight was just about to buy it,but when using the 33 the other day I could stand further back not cricking my neck up so much,so now I don't know witch one would be best again.what would you guys with more experience choose.If I was buying an extreme, it would be an expensive to get the wrong one cheers ps all my work is domestic

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to buy an slx 18 or 22,for an every day pole.i have a 33ft carbon fibre for the higher stuff. Iam just 6ft tall.ive given it a lot of thought,and was favoriing the 18 over the 22 to save a bit of weight was just about to buy it,but when using the 33 the other day I could stand further back not cricking my neck up so much,so now I don't know witch one would be best again.what would you guys with more experience choose.If I was buying an extreme, it would be an expensive to get the wrong one cheers ps all my work is domestic
I have the 25 with the extension pack to take it up to 35. Best of both worlds, light pole and easily extendable to become a light big pole. Not cheap but worth it if you have a lot of high work.

Best pole length depends on the height of windows you are cleaning only you can determine that , I would get your long pole and extend it to reach the average window height then measure the pole length and you have your answer 

Best pole length depends on the height of windows you are cleaning only you can determine that , I would get your long pole and extend it to reach the average window height then measure the pole length and you have your answer 
What a good idea. I honestly never thought of that. Every day is a learning day. ?

We use two lengths Gardiner SLX 22, and extreme 22 for almost all of our work. And SLX 30 for just a couple of jobs. 18 ft would be of little use for most of our work. 25 ft would be overkill for us but a useful length for some people..

What I meant was, I realized I could stand further back.not having to look up somuch,but of course a 22 is a tad more heavyer to carry all day,(swings and roundabouts)Yes  Good idea Davy G

What a good idea. I honestly never thought of that. Every day is a learning day. ?

We use two lengths Gardiner SLX 22, and extreme 22 for almost all of our work. And SLX 30 for just a couple of jobs. 18 ft would be of little use for most of our work. 25 ft would be overkill for us but a useful length for some people..
Yes we all do different height buildings 80% of my estate type properties can be done  with an 18 foot pole , most 3 storey domestic and commercial with a 25 , hotels and apartment blocks 46-72 , I always opt for  the shortest pole that will do the job safely as it’s cheaper and lighter ???

xtreme 25 pole is a good all arounder and is very easy to use day in/day out for most of my work.....3 storey,skylights,awkward set back windows,its fantastic...

for anything higher i use an xtreme 47....these are the only 2 poles i use for my work....

Yes, wouldn't buy any SLX and only buy an Extreme for 30'+ Anything less than 30' I'd buy a CLX. For me the difference between CLX and SLX doesn't justify the price difference. 

However with the new extension options, if I was looking to buy 2 poles, I'd buy the one pole, the best I could afford, and get an extension.
That's suprized me  clx in preference to slx it crossed my mind however that a clx might be nicer to handle, with regards to black hand syndrome but what about weight and stiffness,please

Started with slx22, but now I use 18 and its soo much lighter/nicer to work all day ? Added 2 extensions to 22 for all jobs I cant reach with 18 (5%), half of those i could reach with 22, so will add new 22 slx or exreme soon... Still cheaper to replace slx18 used daily for most jobs.

xtreme 25 pole is a good all arounder and is very easy to use day in/day out for most of my work.
I would buy I think eighther an18 or 22 extreme just go as light as possible as most of my work is in this region,using the 33 carbon I have on 15% of work,it would prob feel like a ton weight though after an extremeWould you use it on gutter/facia cleaning or is it to delicate?

Started with slx22, but now I use 18 and its soo much lighter/nicer to work all day ? Added 2 extensions to 22 for all jobs I cant reach with 18 (5%), half of those i could reach wit
Yea that's what ive been wondering all a long,Its about lightness. would you be tempted to buy an extreme 18,go the whole hog like?

That's suprized me  clx in preference to slx it crossed my mind however that a clx might be nicer to handle, with regards to black hand syndrome but what about weight and stiffness,please
The SLX is slightly lighter and slightly stiffer than CLX but if  you put a really light brush, we're currently using 35cm Tapertec, it makes the CLX much easier to use, not that we find it hard as we still remember fibreglass poles.

With the additional cost and black hands I wouldn't  buy another SLX. I wouldn't buy a CLX above 27' though, that's if you can.

Extreme 18 

extreme 25 with extreme 35 extension pack and  a further two extension when needed.

and my favourite clx4

extreme 18’ covers approx 90% of my work so a no brainier for me.

Whats good for me might be no good for someone else’s round.

Yea that's what ive been wondering all a long,Its about lightness. would you be tempted to buy an extreme 18,go the whole hog like?
Yes, if you can, go ex18 must be lovely to work with ?  or start with slx18, great value and no maintanance... I will get extreme22 next to have for jobs I dont have to get 30 out. Its same weight as slx18. Then I will get ex18 next to have comparison to slx18.

I would buy I think eighther an18 or 22 extreme just go as light as possible as most of my work is in this region,using the 33 carbon I have on 15% of work,it would prob feel like a ton weight though after an extremeWould you use it on gutter/facia cleaning or is it to delicate?
Of course....I use my xtreme 25 for most work including f/s/g cleans,conny roofs,etc....

I dont see the point in messing about with different poles as the 25 is so light and rigid to use all day every day....I have lots of work with awkward angle windows though so it's the perfect pole for me....

With the additional cost and black hands I wouldn't  buy another SLX. I wouldn't buy a CLX above 27' though, that's if you can.
ill give this some serious thought.You were talking the other day,on a different post about brushes,one being"like a rolls Royce"If you remember, I was interested in trying a35cm to see if it would speed up my work,would you tell me please, which one you think would    best suit me, eg tapertech or ultimate etc. most of my WFP is 3 monthly my monthly trad which I now do with a pole, not much new stuff so maintainance really.If you would be so kind,Thank you 

Extream  will be fine for gfs 

ill give this some serious thought.You were talking the other day,on a different post about brushes,one being"like a rolls Royce"If you remember, I was interested in trying a35cm to see if it would speed up my work,would you tell me please, which one you think would    best suit me, eg tapertech or ultimate etc. most of my WFP is 3 monthly my monthly trad which I now do with a pole, not much new stuff so maintainance really.If you would be so kind,Thank you 
If you buy a stiffer more expensive pole then I'd have an ultimate, if you buy a cheap CLX I would put a 35cm Tapertec on. I actually rate the Tapertec as nearly as good as the Ultimate and it's probably half the weight as well. Only problem might be its longevity as it's starting to show signs of wear after 6 weeks. I also think the scrubbing power of the Tapertec is better and if you're on 3 monthly schedules it will probably be quicker.  

Back