Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New pfr ro system.

[email protected]

Tds from the tap is testing at 270, I know really bad tap water, so I'm running it through the new system and it's coming in at 17. It's putting out alot of waste water and a low volume of product. Is this normal for the first time. Thanks in advance lads. 

Kenny. 

Tds from the tap is testing at 270, I know really bad tap water, so I'm running it through the new system and it's coming in at 17. It's putting out alot of waste water and a low volume of product. Is this normal for the first time. Thanks in advance lads. 

Kenny. 
Not sure what system you have but they do say flush for several hours when new, and it should gradually improve. It should get down to about 7 after the ro and before the di from a tap reading of 270

Kenny. 
My tank was taking 20 hours to fill 650l and I couldn't understand why. It turned out I had the waste and water main round the wrong way because the connections are the same and not marked. When I was told the reason I painted connections white and blue so I don't make the same mistake again, now it takes 3 hours to fill because I have good pressure. Today I had pulled out lots of hose and started cleaning when my pure stopped. After checking the van and changing poles I realised my PU hose had a kink in it, so won't be making that mistake again. ?

Kenny. 
We presume you are referring to a PFR r/o.

Unfortunately this r/o isn't the most efficient as it isn't designed for window cleaning. Its designed to as a third tap (faucet) in American kitchens producing 'pure' drinking water. As such its fine to produce water that hasn't had the majority of the minerals stripped out of it.

Your r/o is removing 94% of the dissolved solids in the water which is better than the old Merlin it replaced where 90% was the best you would ever get new with a 5 waste to 1 pure ratio.  After that it steadily got worse.

You could get a gate valve of the right pipe size and fit it in the waste pipe throttle back some of that waste. Ideally you should have about 2 waste to 1 pure with that tds.

Unfortunately I believe you are on a road to no where with that r/o. If you are on a water meter then you need to sell it as quickly as your can and get the right r/o. Its equivalent is a 4021 which is much more efficient with a descent membrane. if you don't you will be spending money of wasted water and resin to polish that high tds off.

Sorry!

Cheers lads for your help. No meters on water here just yet, water tds is ****. My only issue was the length of time it takes to fill the tank. But once I know that it is a slower fill, I can plan for that. See how she goes. Thanks again. 

Kenny 

Cheers lads for your help. No meters on water here just yet, water tds is ****. My only issue was the length of time it takes to fill the tank. But once I know that it is a slower fill, I can plan for that. See how she goes. Thanks again. 

Kenny 
Your r/o should achieve around 1 lpm of pure.

The issue you are going to have is that this r/o uses one of those housings as a combo Fiberdyne carbon block and sediment filter. With a high output to waste the service life of that prefilter expires very quickly. Once the service life expires the filter stops removing chlorine from the water passing through it. Chlorine eats away at r/o membranes.

So its a good idea to add a gate valve into the waste pipe to throttle that waste a bit. It will help production rates and help lower the product waters tds a little. This will reduce resin costs and prefilter replacement costs.

One of the local lads has the earlier Merlin. Our water can be full of sediment at times. So he fitted a separate inline sediment filter. The best rejection rate he ever got was 90%.

Back