Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Go Cardless VAT

Poles Apart

Just had an email saying 20% VAT is being applied to payments this is shocking you'll pay £4 for a £20 job this is on top of a previous increase.

Bleedin heck that's a right kick in the teeth after the last increase, not much chance of me increasing my prices twice in a year

If that’s the case I’m no longer using them. I’d rather take on the extra burden of chasing up debts myself than pay a real high proportion of my takings to GoCardless. 

I think it might be 20 per cent of there fee they haven't made it very clear surely it can't be 20% of the amount that would be outrageous?  

They must of just registered for VAT . Glad i never used go cardless or id end up bankrupt 

This is just another reason we won’t use theses firms they wait until you  are committed to them then drop the bomb shell prices are going up and there is nothing you  can do , we only accept cash, cheque, and bacs payment in my opinion the old wages are best . 

Someone was posting on the other forum that a customer hadn’t paid  them for Over a year but go cardless  and a soft   ware provider was saying they had paid then suddenly said they owed over a years money , and you  are paying  a monthly subscription for  this rubbish , right rip off .

This is just another reason we won’t use theses firms they wait until you  are committed to them then drop the bomb shell prices are going up and there is nothing you  can do , we only accept cash, cheque, and bacs payment in my opinion the old wages are best . 

Someone was posting on the other forum that a customer hadn’t paid  them for Over a year but go cardless  and a soft   ware provider was saying they had paid then suddenly said they owed over a years money , and you  are paying  a monthly subscription for  this rubbish , right rip off .
It's HMRC that's applying this, they used to be exempt but not now.

I think it might be 20 per cent of there fee they haven't made it very clear surely it can't be 20% of the amount that would be outrageous?  
If they're charging VAT that is payable to HMRC. They could only charge 20% on top of what they currently charge. Still getting a bit much though, my fees doubled in Feb ?

I really fancied going GoCardless but this worried me, they had a lot of control. Glad I didn't, to be honest.

If they're charging VAT that is payable to HMRC. They could only charge 20% on top of what they currently charge. Still getting a bit much though, my fees doubled in Feb ?
Mate, if it helps, Squeegee are going to be implementing auto payment recorder for BACs payments. Using the new open banking software you can give the app access to read all incoming transactions and then assign them to the correct person. No idea about the details, you may need to manually assign each one to start so Squeegee knows, but it will make it a lot easier to keep track of payments when using Bacs, then simply remind those who flag as still owning. Just a thought if GoCardless taking the mic with new prices!

I received the email from Go Cardless.  It says they will start charging VAT only on their fees.  Therefore as an example, a £15 transaction will incur a fee of 35p, but VAT will now add an extra 7p.

I only have a few customers on Go Cardless so I'm happy to soak up the VAT on their fees but I imagine for those with 100s of customers on Go Cardless, the cost will start adding up to a significant sum.  I will no longer offer Go Cardless to new customers though.

For VAT qualifying companies, the VAT can be reclaimed.

VAT charges will apply from 1 September.

Good to see you back ? hope all has been and is good with you, mine are stupidly high now with 311 jobs and counting on GC some months my fees are over £80. 

2 questions IG, will you offer Gocardless for new sign ups, and can you claim their fees back off the revenue?
GC is all I offer to new sign ups unless they are retired and typically going to always be around what I offer won't change I would rather have the expense than mess on chasing payments every evening all new jobs are priced slightly higher to cover the increased fees, GC fees are an allowable expense so my total monthly fees go down as an expense

Back