Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thoughts on a dual van setup wfp/powerwashing

Bobsonduggnutt

Hi folks, I'll apologise in advance for a lengthy post but I think this might make an interesting discussion. I'm a newbie just starting my business and am currently looking at options for kitting my van out (2014 vivaro sbw) I want to build a decent window round but have the ability to take on power washing jobs out of the same van. I'm sure there are many schools of thought on this but I have been throwing around a few ideas and would love to hear your ideas. To start with I'm up north so my TDS from the tap is around 40 and I'll be going for a twin 27ltr DI setup for purification, however I'm unsure if it's possible to place the DI's after the tank in my van which I'll mention later??? Anyway here is what I'm thinking.

option1

A single 1000ltr tank filled from the tap, two outputs.....one feeding the power washer and one going to the DI's then then the pole. With regards to pumps here I'm not sure if I'd need a pump before the DI's and a pump after.

option 2

Two 500ltr tanks independent of eachother one for the washer and one for the pure. This is probably the obvious way to go but I'm on a bit of a budget haha

option 3

one 650ltr tank and a 350ltr tank. The 650 with two outputs...one feeding the washer and one going to the DI's then to the 350 then to the pole. I think this setup would be interesting as I could just open a valve to fill my 350 as needed but still have a big tank that I can fill straight from the tap for the washer.

Any thoughts you have on this would be appreciated, as I said earlier I'm a noob so I'm not even sure some of this stuff is possible ie. Filtering water as working etc.. I just want to be as diverse as I can to try and get off to a good start and get cash flowing.

I’ve done this , set up a 600 litre window cleaning setup at side door and 400 litre tank feeding a powerwasher at rear doors , I never run round with both tanks full so no weight issues , 65 plate 2900 vivaro lwb 

I’ve done this , set up a 600 litre window cleaning setup at side door and 400 litre tank feeding a powerwasher at rear doors , I never run round with both tanks full so no weight issues , 65 plate 2900 vivaro lwb 
Nice one, yeah I was thinking about that then just splitting the days I'm using each tank for weight, also I have been toying with the idea of just using one tank and filling it with tap water on the days I'm using the washer then draining it to fill with pure, do you reckon that is doable or will it mess to much with the TDS?

Use 1 tank and double di after the pump.

Connect customers tap to keep full when pressure washing and then can always use it for wfp.

Wouldn't work for me with 340ppm down here but ideal for you.

Use a float valve to stop water when tank is full and leave the job with a full tank for the windows.

Just sold all my gear but had a 210l wheelie bin for pressure washing with washer mounted in van and bin next to van.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tank you mount in the van for pressure washing will get emptied in no time, so I'd forget that and just use a wheelie bin next to the customers tap. Takes a bit longer to haul the gear out of the van but if it's all fixed in and its a big property you'll need mile of hose which is heavy and awkward. 

If ever there is no water supply you can use the window cleaning tank through the lid but it won't happen very often

I can empty a 240l wheelie bin in less than 20mins with my washer. After watching dirty driveaway on utube he came up with a good idea. You can buy a twin feed connection and plug it into the wheelie bin's inlet. Then if you can get access to two taps then draw water from both. I had to do this a few weeks ago because of poor supply. I also PW the other neighbours path for letting me use their outside tap, everyone was a winner but might not happen it houses are on water meters.  

Nice one, yeah I was thinking about that then just splitting the days I'm using each tank for weight, also I have been toying with the idea of just using one tank and filling it with tap water on the days I'm using the washer then draining it to fill with pure, do you reckon that is doable or will it mess to much with the TDS?
Not something I’d do personally , pure only for window cleaning , also my washers use a outer bypass so returnsvthe water to tank when your off the trigger , I’d go with twin tanks 

Any tank you mount in the van for pressure washing will get emptied in no time, so I'd forget that and just use a wheelie bin next to the customers tap. Takes a bit longer to haul the gear out of the van but if it's all fixed in and its a big property you'll need mile of hose which is heavy and awkward. 

If ever there is no water supply you can use the window cleaning tank through the lid but it won't happen very often
I’ve a reel with 40 metres of hose , reaches most jobs ,reel attached beside washer , tank has a water stop like you get inside a cistern to prevent it overfilling  I also use a wheelie bin and a gx390 on a trolley for those jobs the van can’t do 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got 800l tank in 2900 vivaro lwb guna chuck plunger in top of tank fit ball valve job done guna fit di after pump 

Use 1 tank and double di after the pump.

Connect customers tap to keep full when pressure washing and then can always use it for wfp.

Wouldn't work for me with 340ppm down here but ideal for you.

Use a float valve to stop water when tank is full and leave the job with a full tank for the windows.

Just sold all my gear but had a 210l wheelie bin for pressure washing with washer mounted in van and bin next to van.
This is what I'm going to go for I think,one question tho, would one pump be sufficient  and if so would that be before the DI's or after?. Cheers.

Back