Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scrim Cloth or Other

Are you guys still using the traditional scrim cloths or is there a new kid on the block that people find as good
I don't do as much trad now but when I do, 90% of the time, I opt for scrim.  With leaded  windows or 'buffing' glass then microfibre and sometimes with windows that have streaky coatings on I'll use microfibre.  Keep a mix of both and see what works best for you ? 

Are you guys still using the traditional scrim cloths or is there a new kid on the block that people find as good
I still use Unger prewashed premium grade preshrunk scrims. Microfibre cloths are only good for wiping sills as they get soaked hold grit and don't dry as quickly as traditional scrims 

Many years ago I got some Irish linen scrim from Scrim City, apart from being a so and so to break in it was fantastic stuff. Unfortunately it eventually wore out and the so called grade 1 stuff that I got to replace it was just nowhere near as good, shedding fibres being one of it's shortcomings.

Having read some of the threads on here and being interested in something that would make my life easier I decided to get one of those large microfibre cloths to try, not quite as big as a scrim but not far off. I haven't had much chance to use it yet but so far I'm impressed, I suspect that scrim is going to go the way of the chamois.

Many years ago I got some Irish linen scrim from Scrim City, apart from being a so and so to break in it was fantastic stuff. Unfortunately it eventually wore out and the so called grade 1 stuff that I got to replace it was just nowhere near as good, shedding fibres being one of it's shortcomings.

Having read some of the threads on here and being interested in something that would make my life easier I decided to get one of those large microfibre cloths to try, not quite as big as a scrim but not far off. I haven't had much chance to use it yet but so far I'm impressed, I suspect that scrim is going to go the way of the chamois.
Microfibres won’t hold as much water as scrim but for the last 2 years I was trad I used microfibres rather than scrim and found them a lot better and easier going in the fingers ,and no bits coming off them 

Microfibres won’t hold as much water as scrim but for the last 2 years I was trad I used microfibres rather than scrim and found them a lot better and easier going in the fingers ,and no bits coming off them 
Sounds good, for my limited use it will be fine, if I were still trad I think a few extra cloths in the van might be a reasonable price to pay for less faffing. ?

Back