Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Changing Gardiner Clamps to Phantom Clamps

WCF

Help Support WCF:

THL4KEL

Its been mentioned that the Gardiner Clamps can be switch over to the Facelift Phantom Clamps. They have the rubber insert which protects compacting the pole that causes the pole to not lock into place when the clamp is closed.

Has anyone actually done this and if you did does it make a difference?

I bought a new Gardiner pole probably eight weeks ago and now its at the stage where it needs electric tape on section one to be ale to grip. From past experience that will last a short while until it needs glue to be applied to the damaged section to make the clamp grip.

After 8 weeks!! 

Crikey something not right there I've got a gardiner 5 years old that still clamps ok. 
My SLX is nearly 9 years old and its had 1 clamp upgrade. It has also been sprayed with engine lacquer every once in a while.

My SLX is nearly 9 years old and its had 1 clamp upgrade. It has also been sprayed with engine lacquer every once in a while.
I think you should donate it to the Gardiners museum hall of fame ???? , having said that I have one in my garage must be similar age all original still works fine I keep it as a spare just in case .

Think my SLX clamp 1 & 2 lasted about two years before needing work.

This latest clamp to go is no 1 on an Xtreme pole.

What pole is it on the gardner range i use a extreme and get 2 years out of the pole before its on its last legs 

What has happened is when clamp 1 is in the closed position, the the top of section one has compacted slightly so that the brush spins if for example your cleaning ground floor windows. I have put some electrical tape on it to build it up. I haven't contacted Gardiners because doesn't this just fall into wear of the pole as its delicate.. Its an Extreme 22.

Just been thinking of buying the Phantom clamps and replacing clamp 0&1 - instead of gluing the compacted part of the pole, in the hope it stops this happening.

In the past its always clamp 1&2 where this problem happens, probably because they are the most used sections of the pole.

Over the years I have found wear rate a bit shocking on Gardiner poles, SLX poles etc that are 5 years plus are more robust and thicker carbon sections my best pole in the past was an S-Max it hardly ever wore down and if it did it was still use able it could be totally abused

Bought a Xtreme years ago with the holy grail sections with metal bands simply nothing better on a pole for sections 1 & 2 nowt can beat them, bought a SLX-22 as a spare wear rate I was disappointed with in weeks it's in the garage in bits sort of and I have section 3 & 4 in my Xtreme which is made up off sections 1,2 & 5 been xtreme sections and 3 & 4 been SLX sections, I have an old section 1 from my S-Max it would be interesting to trail the phantom clamps on the top 2 sections of a Gardiner pole, I've said it before in the past I would happily buy a phantom pole if the clamps are as good as they claim and thus reduce wear

Maybe gardiner will swith to Glueless eventually what you think Alex gardiner? 
Funnily enough I upgraded the clamps on my old Gardiner SLX22 a good 5 years ago now. I've only had the first clamp come loose just recently which I reglued. This is the section that I tend to let drop when collapsing the pole so it get hammered each time I do this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is guilty of doing this.

Was it Squeaky Clean Dave who suggested buying an O ring kit and fitting one on each section to act as a shockabsorber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funnily enough I upgraded the clamps on my old Gardiner SLX22 a good 5 years ago now. I've only had the first clamp come loose just recently which I reglued. The is the section that I tend to let drop when collapsing the pole so it get hammered each time I do this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is guilty of doing this.

Was it Squeaky Clean Dave who suggested buying an O ring kit and fitting one on each section to act as a shockabsorber.
It was. We did it. It works well but we still slow the sections down before they hit.

Its been mentioned that the Gardiner Clamps can be switch over to the Facelift Phantom Clamps. They have the rubber insert which protects compacting the pole that causes the pole to not lock into place when the clamp is closed.

Has anyone actually done this and if you did does it make a difference?

I bought a new Gardiner pole probably eight weeks ago and now its at the stage where it needs electric tape on section one to be ale to grip. From past experience that will last a short while until it needs glue to be applied to the damaged section to make the clamp grip.
Did you get round to buying Phantom Clamps to replace the Gardiner Extreme ones?

My SLX - 27 bought in 2017 was spinning far too much for my liking by the end of 2020 even with tape and lacquer applied so bought a set of Phantom Clamps and hey presto no adjustments needed to them since last year when I fitted them and no more black hands.  I've now cut the clamps of a 9 year old 5 section streamline pole and added phantom clamps and end cap and now use it for Trad work with the Liqs/excelerator. 

Anyone attempted putting the facelift clamps on the gardiners pole successfully?
IMG_20211106_212709.jpg

Facelift Clamps 1-6 replace like for like on a Gardiner SLX27 (you can see that's I've got SLX extension #7 on this pole at the moment with factory fitted lateral smart clamp). Pole was quite well worn so just had to shave off a couple of mil from the middle open part of the clamp and innnr TPU insert so they held the pole section. Gardiner water through gooseneck insert fits nicely into facelift clamp 1 on this pole as pictured.

IMG_20211106_212722.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 25967

Facelift Clamps 1-6 replace like for like on a Gardiner SLX27 (you can see that's I've got SLX extension #7 on this pole at the moment with factory fitted lateral smart clamp). Pole was quite well worn so just had to shave off a couple of mil from the middle open part of the clamp and innnr TPU insert so they held the pole section. Gardiner water through gooseneck insert fits nicely into facelift clamp 1 on this pole as pictured.

View attachment 25968
Hi Guys ?..

Ive been hearing for a while now, both Gardiner & Phantom certain wfpole parts : - clamps, goose necks, brush heads to name some can be Mixed & Matched...Is this true ?.

Thanks for feedback,
Pane.

View attachment 25967

View attachment 25968
Do you still get black hands using the facelift clamps?

Did you get round to buying Phantom Clamps to replace the Gardiner Extreme ones?

My SLX - 27 bought in 2017 was spinning far too much for my liking by the end of 2020 even with tape and lacquer applied so bought a set of Phantom Clamps and hey presto no adjustments needed to them since last year when I fitted them and no more black hands. I've now cut the clamps of a 9 year old 5 section streamline pole and added phantom clamps and end cap and now use it for Trad work with the Liqs/excelerator.
hi i have a 33 streamline with in line clamps an old one i bought the correct phantom clamps over a year ago to upgrade but the old glued on clamps are longer thangardiner clamps ive seen someone cut through and prize off gardyner clamps but theirs more surface area glued to the pole was this the case on your streamline?iam scaredi might messit up at the moment the pole copes with my highest work dont want to lay out for a new un thanks

Back