Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The Price of cleaning after Covid 19 a realistic shift for our industry

Whats everyone's opinion of pricing now that the government have chosen to avoid providing support for so many trades and self employed persons, in that I mean, many simply just don't qualify for grants or loans at all and are having to work anyway... This is just a thought but we all know someone who is suffering because of this virus or at least i do. when i measure what we charge now against our american brothers for window cleans is it now not time to agree on mass a rise in our charges? many will not like this suggestion but that old fashioned way of thinking never makes a living, but that's ok i'd rather cover times like this and any future outbreak because i don't want to expose my family to something like that by working when i should not be, so charging cheap has really got to get kicked out the house, if we want to be called a business and not just a sole trader or self employed, not that there is anything wrong with that. My eyes fell out my head when i heard what Americans charge for cleaning, makes me feel like i don't charge nearly enough for what i do... maybe we don't  i am not sure anymore... Thoughts ? other industries are going to do this when it is all over.       

Last edited by a moderator:
Define what the americans charge as far as I am aware a regular clean is every 12 weeks or or even less plus they do internals and remove fly screens etc so in America it's a much bigger job and priced accordingly nothing like the regular 4-8 weekly intervals over here

I've never charge a cheap price for I don't know how many years, I am usually as much as 50% more than some of my competitors, which may sound a lot, priced a job yesterday at £9.50 the previous guy was only charging £6 in some areas across the UK prices are outdated by 10 years or more.

Define what the americans charge as far as I am aware a regular clean is every 12 weeks or or even less plus they do internals and remove fly screens etc so in America it's a much bigger job and priced accordingly nothing like the regular 4-8 weekly intervals over here

I've never charge a cheap price for I don't know how many years, I am usually as much as 50% more than some of my competitors, which may sound a lot, priced a job yesterday at £9.50 the previous guy was only charging £6 in some areas across the UK prices are outdated by 10 years or more.
The americans quite often do annual or 1 off cleans.

Nothing like we do.

If you look on YouTube etc. They are often quoting $20 per window type price.

No way we could work like that here. 

Just about to do my last 2 "cheap priced" jobs and then go home with another £247 earned.

????

Last edited by a moderator:
Can only charge what the locals will pay which is why different areas of the country charge differently for same size property. You can say I charge £20 for a 2 bed terrace, but if those customers living in the terraces think that is too much, you are not getting the job, the guy who says he will charge £10 for that terrace will be earning £50 a hour while you are sitting at home wondering why you aint getting customers.You give a price and they say yes or no......they keep saying no, then you are overpriced, conversely they all say yes, you are probably underpricing. And the customer cannot give a flying whatever about your bills, van repayments or whatever, they just want their windows cleaned for a what they see as a "fair" price. 

so charging cheap has really got to get kicked out the house
What you call charging cheap might appear to be a good price to others. Being self employed means you choose the price you want to do the job for and when you want to do it. If you don't like your prices then either put them up or do something else. All I know is if I did 40 hours a week on the glass I would gross over £1k and nett, before tax, circa £800. If people earning this type of money cant put something aside for rainy days then good luck finding a better paid job.

The americans quite often do annual or 1 off cleans.

Nothing like we do.

If you look on YouTube etc. They are often quoting $20 per window type price.

No way we could work like that here. 

Just about to do my last 2 "cheap priced" jobs and then go home with another £247 earned.

????
As I wrote my reply I was thinking it was longer frequencies and they are usually half day or full day jobs both internal and external as well so a massive difference in pricing.

It was lashing down this morning so got caught up on a few jobs and accounts so had a skive it dried up but was elbow deep in accounts then I couldn't be chewed with going out.

Whats everyone's opinion of pricing now that the government have chosen to avoid providing support for so many trades and self employed persons, in that I mean, many simply just don't qualify for grants or loans at all and are having to work anyway...
We can't all have a free ride for the foreseeable future, businesses need to adapt and survive I have been back to work 8 weeks now so I see no issue and I am talking window cleaning take the right precautions and get out earning if your health allows. ?

when i measure what we charge now against our american brothers for window cleans is it now not time to agree on mass a rise in our charges?
Industry price fixing happens to be illegal unfortunately. It's seen as anti competitive in a country that wants there to be competition. Don't ask me how hte energy sector get away with it cos i've no idea.

A few years ago i saw about 40 driving instructors parked up outside the pub up the road. I think we can all guess what unofficially got agreed on in there! Estate agents are the worst though, i see them as a national disgrace.

When it comes to WC I don't think you could realisitically fix the price across the nation anyway, you get poor and rich areas, people with differing amount of spare cash etc. I got one lady, lives in a bungalow, takes me 20mins to do her windows and i get £20 for it. If i tried that price in some other areas for a house with 2 floors and a conservatory they'd slam the door in my face.

Whats everyone's opinion of pricing now that the government have chosen to avoid providing support for so many trades and self employed persons, in that I mean, many simply just don't qualify for grants or loans at all and are having to work anyway... This is just a thought but we all know someone who is suffering because of this virus or at least i do. when i measure what we charge now against our american brothers for window cleans is it now not time to agree on mass a rise in our charges? many will not like this suggestion but that old fashioned way of thinking never makes a living, but that's ok i'd rather cover times like this and any future outbreak because i don't want to expose my family to something like that by working when i should not be, so charging cheap has really got to get kicked out the house, if we want to be called a business and not just a sole trader or self employed, not that there is anything wrong with that. My eyes fell out my head when i heard what Americans charge for cleaning, makes me feel like i don't charge nearly enough for what i do... maybe we don't  i am not sure anymore... Thoughts ? other industries are going to do this when it is all over.       
I put all my jobs up last year!    It's up 2 you what YOU charge and how often you increase your prices.  

But you don't want to be the cheapest window cleaner in your area..

Price fixing is illegal, as mentioned above. That said I have seen posts one here 10 years ago mentioning '£1 per window', and even today you hear this allot. I think in most cases that would be too cheap now IMO, and we should aim for more.

That said, its how long the job takes that really matters. I have some jobs, priced close to £1 pw which I make a good hourly rate on, and others in the £1.50 pw average, where I can make less per hour. The size of the windows, hieght etc has to be factored into it.

That's before you get into london city prices against rural areas up north etc.

I have a mixture of cheap and cheerful jobs and well priced jobs .....I put most of mine up a quid and some a fiver in April this year.......

Dont underestimate the smaller cheaper jobs.....I earn £45-£50 an hour on cheap estate work which I'm happy with and obviously more on other work.......

Nearly all my work is condensed into a 3 mile affluent area(340+ jobs)....27 years of refining my round.....

Personally I'd hate the American way of window cleaning....spending all day at a customers property cleaning insides as well as outside windows!plus all them screens full of bugs and insects!no thanks!they only have them cleaned once or twice a year.....I like to keep my eggs in lots of different baskets .....??

Totally agree with you @Iron Giant I priced a job for a new customer the other week, and my quote was for £18. She was previously paying her window cleaner £6!! She was ok with my quote as the other cleaner was un reliable and didn't do a very good job.

Totally agree with you @Iron Giant I priced a job for a new customer the other week, and my quote was for £18. She was previously paying her window cleaner £6!! She was ok with my quote as the other cleaner was un reliable and didn't do a very good job.
I lost one customer to a sixpounder when he was paying me £13 a month. I expect him to come back when the winter comes in but not sure if I will have him back. I have lost trust and loyalty in him and may just say I'm full up. Kind of cutting my nose off to spite my face but the feeling I would get could be worth it.

I lost one customer to a sixpounder when he was paying me £13 a month. I expect him to come back when the winter comes in but not sure if I will have him back. I have lost trust and loyalty in him and may just say I'm full up. Kind of cutting my nose off to spite my face but the feeling I would get could be worth it.
Dont do this.....take him back if he enquires again....usually these customers dont jump ship again if the other guys rubbish as well as cheap....if he does it again then yes never take him back on again but give him one chance....

I've just been binned by a custy today who i visited yesterday. Was a £15 job which took me the best part of 40mins each time. Windows were absolutely splattered with bird poo but apparently hubby is going to take over the job.

If i get a text in a few weeks i'll spin the bottle on it.

Some see the value in a decent service others don't that's the difference with window cleaning way to many doing it dirt cheap and people still expect cheap prices even these days

I've just been binned by a custy today who i visited yesterday. Was a £15 job which took me the best part of 40mins each time. Windows were absolutely splattered with bird poo but apparently hubby is going to take over the job.

If i get a text in a few weeks i'll spin the bottle on it.
I would have no regrets getting dumped if it took me 40mins every time for £15.

I suppose what i am getting at is covering costs where the government lets us down, I am not talking about a massive price hike simply banding together as cleaners to set in place an industry wide increase that protects us from situation where it might not be safe to be in the public space, it's good to see everyone's opinion & yes large volumes of customers do try to play the system to get cheap jobs, but those that fall for that trap of cheap work also do splash & dash 20 minute spray and prey's through customer manipulation. I made my prices £20 per clean from January as I wanted to be free to do all the extra detailing over a 40 minutes to an hour per job ratio, my customers are happy think i lost one who was over reactive with the classic "that's to expensive" he had a conservatory that i did not mind letting go of...mostly because i never really charged him what it was worth, last week he came begging back i said no thanks... But i still say £20 is too cheap for most houses i like to take my time with jobs no point rushing when there are always so many customers asking... I now charge £65 for a first time clean and for that i make sure they get a chemical clean so good those windows look new, never had a call back or complaint since i put those prices in place, trust of my customers has also bought in more work, I am just trying to think about those starting out and how to give them a break, an industry wide increase or set price would help those new guys get established, given the history of our trade we would do well to set the record straight once and for all across the board... I know some people seem to think their customers would never pay that much but to them i say it's you job it's your business it's your time and you choose what you are worth if they don't want it they don't have to take it yes you will do less work but in weeks days even, you will get more work knock some doors sell your product you will soon see...  Thanks for your input those who took the time really helped me get a good view of things...         

I suppose what i am getting at is covering costs where the government lets us down, I am not talking about a massive price hike simply banding together as cleaners to set in place an industry wide increase that protects us from situation where it might not be safe to be in the public space, it's good to see everyone's opinion & yes large volumes of customers do try to play the system to get cheap jobs, but those that fall for that trap of cheap work also do splash & dash 20 minute spray and prey's through customer manipulation. I made my prices £20 per clean from January as I wanted to be free to do all the extra detailing over a 40 minutes to an hour per job ratio, my customers are happy think i lost one who was over reactive with the classic "that's to expensive" he had a conservatory that i did not mind letting go of...mostly because i never really charged him what it was worth, last week he came begging back i said no thanks... But i still say £20 is too cheap for most houses i like to take my time with jobs no point rushing when there are always so many customers asking... I now charge £65 for a first time clean and for that i make sure they get a chemical clean so good those windows look new, never had a call back or complaint since i put those prices in place, trust of my customers has also bought in more work, I am just trying to think about those starting out and how to give them a break, an industry wide increase or set price would help those new guys get established, given the history of our trade we would do well to set the record straight once and for all across the board... I know some people seem to think their customers would never pay that much but to them i say it's you job it's your business it's your time and you choose what you are worth if they don't want it they don't have to take it yes you will do less work but in weeks days even, you will get more work knock some doors sell your product you will soon see...  Thanks for your input those who took the time really helped me get a good view of things...         
It will always be about what your happy earning you self.

Its hard when you first start and don't have many customer to price what you should, you just want to get something on the board and have some money at the end of that day. so you are always going to be tempted to charge £1 or £2 less to get the job. But you can always then put it up, you don't after stay at that price for ever! 

When you are well established and can afford to turn lots of work down, and have years of experience under your belt having made lots of mistakes a long the way. You no what you want to earn, and that its achievable. 

If the newbie's can get into window cleaning and earn good money from the start and don't after touch a fiber glass pole... they are very lucky.

But I do agree with you that in some areas the charges  that some window cleaner are charging is ridicules'   And I do feel for the people trying to make a living in those area's with these stupid prices being quoted.  

I don't think the Gov did let us down they have paid out millions to the self-employed so hardly letting us down.

Charging £20 per job is great, but if you are spending 40 minutes or more on a regular clean of a 4 bed house lets say over us Slap & Dash wfper's as I am guessing a trad guy like yourself as you mention detailing then £20 per job isn't as great as it sounds, to get £65 for a average 4 bed house on a first clean I would have had to put LSD in their drinking water the day before I went knocking doors 

Back