Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

transfer water pump needed

johnny bravo

im after upgrading my transfer pump  used to move water from 220 litre tanks to van tank,     atm  im using a not very fast pond pump   I got years ago.   seems to be a wee bit slow  for me.      takes around 10+ minutes to transfer water .       I believe there will be better and faster pumps to use.    

Any recommendations,     don't need anything too big or expensive.

pump2.jpg

20200604_125117.jpg

10 minutes aint bad to empty 220 litres into van. I have a clarkes sub pump, was only about £30 from machine mart and takes about 15 mins to pump 250 litre into van. Think it could do it quicker if I used bigger diameter hose, not sure, but its plenty quick enough for me. I have 350 litre van tank. If I had 650 litre in van and pumping from ibc tank maybe i'd want quicker. Just have a cuppa and a *** while waiting.

10 minutes aint bad to empty 220 litres into van. I have a clarkes sub pump, was only about £30 from machine mart and takes about 15 mins to pump 250 litre into van. Think it could do it quicker if I used bigger diameter hose, not sure, but its plenty quick enough for me. I have 350 litre van tank. If I had 650 litre in van and pumping from ibc tank maybe i'd want quicker. Just have a cuppa and a *** while waiting.
ok, a cigarette then. Didnt realise oily rag (rhyming slang) was not allowed. Must become more pc (I dont think)

im after upgrading my transfer pump  used to move water from 220 litre tanks to van tank,     atm  im using a not very fast pond pump   I got years ago.   seems to be a wee bit slow  for me.      takes around 10+ minutes to transfer water .       I believe there will be better and faster pumps to use.    

View attachment 20778

View attachment 20779
I personally use the Clarke SPE1200SS water pump. Used them for many years. Reliable quiet for early morning use and tank refills. 

Paired with a generic flow control switch assembly they can be used like you'd use your normal household hosepipe on a tap. 

No more running from your van to your garage or shed to switch off the pump when your tank is full. Close off the hosepipe nozzle and the pump switches off. If you need any advice or technical information give me a message 

Kind regards Austin 

Screenshot_20200604-202604_Instagram.jpg

I use this combo. 1 inch pipe. Takes about 5 min for 300L. Quicker than filling a barrel out of a water butt. 

IMG_20200605_071404.jpg

IMG_20200605_071356.jpg

IMG_20200605_071353.jpg

IMG_20200605_071416.jpg

Wasn't expensive at all 

11 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

I personally use the Clarke SPE1200SS water pump. Used them for many years. Reliable quiet for early morning use and tank refills. 

Paired with a generic flow control switch assembly they can be used like you'd use your normal household hosepipe on a tap. 

No more running from your van to your garage or shed to switch off the pump when your tank is full. Close off the hosepipe nozzle and the pump switches off. If you need any advice or technical information give me a message 

I use a Clarke SPE800 with 1" transfer hose. The pump is rated at 41lpm of flow so it can take a while (15 minutes) to completely fill my 650 liter tank.

If I was using a fill trigger then the electronic cutoff switch is a good idea.

the one I use atm   I think is classed as a pond pump,    still does the job ,  just have to keep checking its not tooooo  near the top of tank in Van.    only happened a couple of times , I suppose it breaks  our routing keeping on your toes , in / out  checking,  haha.     Cant have everything perfect .       ill take a look in machine mart.   im not sure what the lpm   is on mine .

I use this combo. 1 inch pipe. Takes about 5 min for 300L. Quicker than filling a barrel out of a water butt. 

View attachment 20795

View attachment 20796

View attachment 20797

View attachment 20798

Wasn't expensive at all 
5 mins  not too bad ,  300 ltrs

12 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

Mines rated at 61 Lpm based upton the full bore of 1" 

View attachment 20778

View attachment 20779
Have you used tights around your pump to stop **** getting into your system ?

I have used 1 1/2 inch transfer hose from machine mart wh8ch is really fast but hard to handle.

Id recommend the 1 inch.

( know its not about pumps but still good to know ? )

I just put a stocking over the filter areas  . usually clean filter also on pump  after water tank in van.     most people do forget about the filter on the Shurflo pump.     it will surprise you sometimes what **** can end up in it.      Smurf once suggested the stocking.    does work and so cheap.   usually my old ones I done wear anymore in winter.    I may try to fit a bigger hose. atm  its a 1 inch garden hose 

I should be happy really that it all does work to how it should,    Spruce knows only too well how long ive been going on about upgrading to a 4040.      Its all to do with outside access and fitting in place to suit the lay out of the house

I just put a stocking over the filter areas  . usually clean filter also on pump  after water tank in van.     most people do forget about the filter on the Shurflo pump.     it will surprise you sometimes what **** can end up in it.      Smurf once suggested the stocking.    does work and so cheap.   usually my old ones I done wear anymore in winter.    I may try to fit a bigger hose. atm  its a 1 inch garden hose 
Thanks for  the reply,  been thinking for a while how to stop **** from one tank getting into my van tank,  thats a great idea.

Id stick with a 1inch hose, as fast as the 1 1/2 inch hose is its difficult to wrap up snd handle.

Pump went this morning Panick attack,     Pump needed,   searched about.    toolstation had none.    Machine mart   here i come.  £47.99.  Should do the job i thought.    Model PSV3A

I could have been quicker shyphoning it with a  hose myself.  

Heading back now to change to a powerfull one than this one.  PSV4A  model  or  PSV7A..  £65.99.

Need something with a bit of umph.        First model seems ok to transfer water from a Hot Tub.      If you are not used to using a submersable pump.

Well i hope this next model is ok. Hopefully they will change it

Well. went back,     they gave me a demo out the back as to what the flow will be like with a bigger Hose attatched.     Better Flow than i was getting  with my 1.2 in.  silicon hose.    Upgraded to the Larger  1inch hose.   Should have done this years ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Back