Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Two man setup what to pay

paul1

Really struggling to get through work load on my own and still taking work on lol. Looking at a two man setup next year. 

How much should I pay staff member? 

Employed or self employed? 

Any tips or advice? Cheers 

I might take on someone one day, but I’m in no rush and will pro long it as long as possible. But if i was going to take on someone this year hypothetically, I’d employ them on a temporary contract of 8 weeks at say £8.50ph, If we get on & goes well then a new proper contract at £10ph, 4 days a week. Proper contract with terms & conditions, sick pay holiday pay, tax sorted etc. (When I do employ eventually employ I’m only gonna offer a 4 day contract as it allows for a day of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, plus gives me a bit of flexibility too) Obviously hourly pay will differ on where you’re based in the country. I also like the idea of a small bonus scheme, but not sure what yet.

My advice put up prices so you lose a bit of work then you will get more proffit less hours ide never take any one on sod that unless they were self employed and sub contract off me then ide be very picky who i use 

If you are struggling with your workload either as @tench0771 says hike prices, or shift from for example a 4 weekly schedule to once every 5 weeks, if you employ you will take a hit plus the cost of a 2 man system paying an employee and the hassle that goes with that either way you will have to take a hit somehow 

With recent the bank holidays of late plus high winds and now rain I keep getting knocked back and some jobs week after week are taking 5 weeks to get around also if my rounds keep on growing as they are I will eventually shift to a 5 weekly rota, I will take a hit money wise but it will be so much easier to manage my rounds instead of working flat out without much of break at times as I will have 80-100 jobs to do a week instead of a 100+ 

Really struggling to get through work load on my own and still taking work on lol. Looking at a two man setup next year. 

I employ somebody and wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes it can be a hassel at times but overall works out ok.

I agree with what was said, start with £8.50 ph for a training period of 1 or 2 months with the promise of a good wage rise after that.

This gives you plenty of time to suss people out.

When they start explaine there might be the odd day you get rained off and you only get paid for the hours you do.

Can honestly say never had time off for windy days.

Simply not possible to safely clean windows or to a good standard in 25-40mph+ winds or stronger gusts I have been cleaning just over 20 years and there is limit to what is possible the other week it was around 30mph winds with stronger gusts up to 50mph pure madness to be cleaning in such weather with ? blowing around 

My work is commercial so im probably doing insides if its too bad, its just i cant  honestly remember having a day off because of the wind

Simply not possible to safely clean windows or to a good standard in 25-40mph+ winds or stronger gusts I have been cleaning just over 20 years and there is limit to what is possible the other week it was around 30mph winds with stronger gusts up to 50mph pure madness to be cleaning in such weather with ? blowing around 
Was thinking this the other day when I called it a day after a couple of houses due to the wind. All the debris blowing around will just stick to the newly cleaned glass the moment you stop rinsing.

We are on the coast and loose more days off due to high winds than rain , you can work in rain but not strong winds .

I employ somebody and wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes it can be a hassel at times but overall works out ok.

I agree with what was said, start with £8.50 ph for a training period of 1 or 2 months with the promise of a good wage rise after that.

This gives you plenty of time to suss people out.

When they start explaine there might be the odd day you get rained off and you only get paid for the hours you do.

Thanks how do you employ them then on a zero hour contract or other way? Do You have to pay pensions. And. Stuff? Cheers 

you will find it hard to employ some one on a zero hour contract, it will screw any benefits up if the claim say Tax credits. you have to offer a pension by law, and its up to them if they will want to have one. You then have to put in an amount depending on how much they are paying in. The real killer for me is the 5.5 weeks holiday you have to pay...... sick pay is not a problem unless they are on long term sick, any time after 7 days then you pay for that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks how do you employ them then on a zero hour contract or other way? Do You have to pay pensions. And. Stuff? Cheers 
Yes pay pension,  holiday pay and sick pay.

Not a zero hours contract but can only work when weather permits, same as bricklayers, roofers ect ect 

TBH its not that often we get rained off and i alway try to offer Saturday work if they really want to make the time up.

My work is commercial so im probably doing insides if its too bad, its just i cant  honestly remember having a day off because of the wind
Fair do's if you're commercial it's a case of carry on regardless no matter what the weather there must be a lot of tall buildings reducing the effect of the wind as well ?

Fair do's if you're commercial it's a case of carry on regardless no matter what the weather there must be a lot of tall buildings reducing the effect of the wind as well ?
Funny you should say about tall buildings because i have a job in the middle of nowhere and the wind is really bad there, no protection what soever.

Think it makes a big difference when your in a built up city.

Finally something good about living in Coventry  lol

Is there any way you get someone to come in as an equal partner? I know it's not always easy, and it doesn't always work out but It can and has been done very successfully.

With the right person on board it can be really good. They would ideally need to show commitment by buying into the business and sharing the costs and responsibilities for the running costs of the equipment and vehicle and all expenses.

It works very well for us and we know two other two men, one van equal partnerships that have both been in successful business much longer than we have.

Certainly in my case I enjoy working as part of a small, fast, efficient team. We both like the fact that while one starts at the back the other starts at the front. Both sides are being cleaned and we work together and meet wherever we meet. There is No dead time. We're both busy the whole time and we absolutely fly through the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back