Jump to content

Gardiner Backpack Battery upgrade


Recommended Posts

Hello. I want replace the battery in the Gardiner Backpack v3 to a lithium battery like this

Are you able to charge it the same way as the stock battery with the stock charger it comes with? If not what would be the best way to charge it?

Link to post
6 hours ago, Jeffery said:

Hello. I want replace the battery in the Gardiner Backpack v3 to a lithium battery like this

Are you able to charge it the same way as the stock battery with the stock charger it comes with? If not what would be the best way to charge it?

I would believe that these batteries require a charger specific to lithium batteries to recharge them.

https://expertpower.us/products/epc122-2a

Your best bet is to contact Expert Power directly and ask them for their advice.

The Gardiner backpack comes with a standard sealed lead acid battery. The charger output is 13.8v. I've just put the charger on my multimeter to get that reading for you. If the charger I have highlighted is the correct charger then it charges at 14.6v. The Gardiner charger's output voltage is too low.

If this is the charger then you will need to find the plug that will fit the socket on the backpack. You must wire it up correctly.

Example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C13-IEC-Rewireable-Female-Inline-Socket-Plug-10A-250V-3-Pin-For-Kettle-Plug/383533352995?hash=item594c5e8823:g:KuwAAOSw0~desWLq

If you look carefully on the plug on the Gardiners backpack charger you will see that the 2 outer terminals are marked L and N. You will need to use this as a guide to wiring the charger plug up correctly.

Why do you want to replace the battery with Lithium?

The Gardiner battery is 12amph. You have 6 amph to use if you only use the battery to the recommended maximum 50% discharge level. The lithium battery you link to is 10 amph. They recommend you can use a lithium battery to 20% of charge. All you are gaining is 2 amph for a rather high initial cost outlay.

 

 

 

Link to post
9 hours ago, Jeffery said:

Hello. I want replace the battery in the Gardiner Backpack v3 to a lithium battery like this

Are you able to charge it the same way as the stock battery with the stock charger it comes with? If not what would be the best way to charge it?

Lifpo lipo batteries are like semtex when they go wrong. Moisture is the biggest risk to them 

The battery you're hyperlinked has a built in BMS (battery management system) which in theory balances the cells.

If you're backpack is out of warranty then you do so at your own risk.

 

Ive been using standard SLA batteries for years with no issues and ensuring you use the approximately SLA management charger you shouldn't experience any issues other than age related cell degradation 

Link to post
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

Lifpo lipo batteries are like semtex when they go wrong. Moisture is the biggest risk to them 

The battery you're hyperlinked has a built in BMS (battery management system) which in theory balances the cells.

If you're backpack is out of warranty then you do so at your own risk.

 

Ive been using standard SLA batteries for years with no issues and ensuring you use the approximately SLA management charger you shouldn't experience any issues other than age related cell degradation 

I didn't know that.

I agree. We have had no issues using the standard SLA battery and charger. In fact we haven't had a battery or charger problem in the 10 years son has used a backpack.

Its charged after each usage and the battery still lasts the day out.

The previous 2 backpacks failed because they aren't meant to be dropped.

The other consideration is temperature. Whilst these batteries can be used at minus temperatures they can't be charged at minus temps. My DeWalt drill has Lithium batteries and the instructions say the charger won't work at temperatures below freezing.

 

Edited by spruce
  • Haha 2
Link to post

Well the main reason for wanting to replace the battery would be to reduce the overall weight of the backpack. But I guess if it's more trouble than it's worth, dealing with a few extra pounds isn't a big deal.

Link to post
31 minutes ago, Jeffery said:

Well the main reason for wanting to replace the battery would be to reduce the overall weight of the backpack. But I guess if it's more trouble than it's worth, dealing with a few extra pounds isn't a big deal.

Ime assuming you have the backpack on a trolley or sack truck not on your back ?. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.