Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van - 'Up and over' rear door?

Bart90

I'm in the market for a Transit Custom.  I notice some of them have one 'up and over' style rear door as opposed to twin opening doors. Any practical difference?  

Cheers

If you carry long ladders or need to get to the roof you are better off with barn doors , if not a tailgate should be ok ,it’s down to personal preference really 

I have a custom with tailgate and it's great for a quick cover/canopy to hide from the rain, they are generally only available from ex AA or RAC as they use it for the same principal and most other firms don't due to not being able to get a fork truck upto the vehicle for loading

I have a custom with tailgate and it's great for a quick cover/canopy to hide from the rain, they are generally only available from ex AA or RAC as they use it for the same principal and most other firms don't due to not being able to get a fork truck upto the vehicle for loading
Which version custom do you have?  There's little payload infor out there but I'm pretty sure that a 290 L2 will give 1000kg payload? 310 a little more again?  The aim is for a 650L tank although in reality I wouldn't need that capacity right now but planning ahead for the future too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which version custom do you have?  There's little payload infor out there but I'm pretty sure that a 290 L2 will give 1000kg payload? 310 a little more again?  The aim is for a 650L tank although in reality I wouldn't need that capacity right now but planning ahead for the future too.
Not exactly sure on figures though

20200606_140735.jpg

I'm in the market for a Transit Custom.  I notice some of them have one 'up and over' style rear door as opposed to twin opening doors. Any practical difference?  

Cheers
1, you dont get wet when playing around in the tail end of the van

2, youll smash the glass or dent the panel if you have ladders on a roof rack

3, dangerous in high winds when open 

4, you'll keep smashing your head on the edge if you are 6'2" 

Haha 

I have a tailgate on my ex AA Vauxhall Vivaro and I absolutely love it. It shelters you from the rain if it starts and you're reeling in etc. And also when you need to clean a house in front of your van there's no door(s) to snag on or whatever so I would recommend a tailgate for WFP work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back