Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Quotes for Customers

Mark75

Hi Guys  just need a bit of advice about giving customers quotes.  Do you guys give written or just tell the customers how much the job is . And do you guys give overall price or just under what you was going to charge and add VAT . Any help would be great 

I just tell them the price and frequency. Explain that this includes all frames, sills and doors (as well as glass!) - in this way they're more likely to accept the quote.

You only need to add VAT if you're VAT registered. 

Hi Guys  just need a bit of advice about giving customers quotes.  Do you guys give written or just tell the customers how much the job is . And do you guys give overall price or just under what you was going to charge and add VAT . Any help would be great 
This would be my basic record on my small notebook for a regular wash quotation for our use and future reference only. Not for the customers eyes.

Q reg

Name: Mr wosname .address 22 Imaginery Drive. tel ::0780 123 4567

Ist w £22 , est 18min,    6w £18 est 9min

GZ.

The above is in my shorthand in my pad book for speed. Q reg = quote reg wash, G =gate, Z=Zip lock bag given for them to leave the payment out the back when they unlock the gate on the morning of the clean. The Z bag will have a business card in it with the price and frequency handwritten on the back.

For the customer, I would simply write on the back of a business card:   

First wash £22.  Six weekly £18.

I place the card in a small Zip lock sandwich bag. This is given to the prospective customer. Sometimes they agree on the day. Sometimes they want a bit of time to think either way they have a card, the price and a zb.

The notebook photo is a more detailed sheet for: gmt =gutter empty, sw=soapwash, cons=conservatory. Pending ~likely =how I feel about the likelyhood of getting the job. Sometimes I'd write pending ~doubtful. I'm usually right in my gut feelings.

20200606_183920.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be my basic record on my small notebook for a regular wash quotation for our use and future reference only. Not for the customers eyes.

Q reg

Name: Mr wosname .address 22 Imaginery Drive. tel ::0780 123 4567

Ist w £22 , est 18min,    6w £18 est 9min

GZ.

The above is in my shorthand in my pad book for speed. Q reg = quote reg wash, G =gate, Z=Zip lock bag given for them to leave the payment out the back when they unlock the gate on the morning of the clean. The Z bag will have a business card in it with the price and frequency handwritten on the back.

For the customer, I would simply write on the back of a business card:   

First wash £22.  Six weekly £18.

I place the card in a small Zip lock sandwich bag. This is given to the prospective customer. Sometimes they agree on the day. Sometimes they want a bit of time to think either way they have a card, the price and a zb.

The notebook photo is a more detailed sheet for: gmt =gutter empty, sw=soapwash, cons=conservatory. Pending ~likely =how I feel about the likelyhood of getting the job. Sometimes I'd write pending ~doubtful. I'm usually right in my gut feelings.

View attachment 20827
Thanks Davy that does help a lot . I will do something like that . That's a big help I like the idea of keeping notes like that . Thanks for Replying 

Thanks Davy that does help a lot . I will do something like that . That's a big help I like the idea of keeping notes like that . Thanks for Replying 
Very welcome Mark. We remove the sheets from the pad and keep them all together. That way we have a full record of what what was quoted and if it's done we have a record of pricing, time taken, outside tap etc. For instance some of the gmts and soapwashes are repeated every two or three years. So it's handy to have the details and prices, so we can put the price up a bit to keep pace with inflation.

Very welcome Mark. We remove the sheets from the pad and keep them all together. That way we have a full record of what what was quoted and if it's done we have a record of pricing, time taken, outside tap etc. For instance some of the gmts and soapwashes are repeated every two or three years. So it's handy to have the details and prices, so we can put the price up a bit to keep pace with inflation.
I keep all this this does help a lot . This is all I have been doing is picking people brains and watching you tube videos . These forums really help with guys with years of experience . Helps the Newbies thanks again . I will pick your brain one more time sorry . What pole do you think is the best around at moment and do you use pencil jets or fan spray . 

I keep all this this does help a lot . This is all I have been doing is picking people brains and watching you tube videos . These forums really help with guys with years of experience . Helps the Newbies thanks again . I will pick your brain one more time sorry . What pole do you think is the best around at moment and do you use pencil jets or fan spray . 
Ha ha! Now you've opened a can of worms. Opinions are very divided and entrenched. ?

I would recommend the SLX 22 pole as it's been our every day pole for several years, is robust and shortens to a nice compact length. I would suggest the standard quicklock gooseneck. The medium mixed sill brush. And this is where it might get really divisive. I will only use 100 degree fan jets. Pencil jets make no sense to me at all but an awful lot of people swear by them.

I suggest you use the search bar and search : fan jets v pencil jets. There are several in-depth posts on the subject. You might need to try different word combinations to find them. Take your time and study the arguments thoroughly before you make your choices. Jets for instance aren't too expensive if you wanted to try a couple of different options. ??

Ha ha! Now you've opened a can of worms. Opinions are very divided and entrenched. ?

I would recommend the SLX 22 pole as it's been our every day pole for several years, is robust and shortens to a nice compact length. I would suggest the standard quicklock gooseneck. The medium mixed sill brush. And this is where it might get really divisive. I will only use 100 degree fan jets. Pencil jets make no sense to me at all but an awful lot of people swear by them.

I suggest you use the search bar and search : fan jets v pencil jets. There are several in-depth posts on the subject. You might need to try different word combinations to find them. Take your time and study the arguments thoroughly before you make your choices. Jets for instance aren't too expensive if you wanted to try a couple of different options. ??
Thanks I will . The you tube channels that I have watched say Pencil Jets give you the best rinse and the guy I went out with used pencil jets . He said he tried fan but said the rinse was not as good . I wondered why not the fan as it gives all over rinse . But as you say everyone has there own thoughts I will look at that pole also that you recommended  Thanks for your time in all this . I have a clearer picture tonight 

Thanks I will . The you tube channels that I have watched say Pencil Jets give you the best rinse and the guy I went out with used pencil jets . He said he tried fan but said the rinse was not as good . I wondered why not the fan as it gives all over rinse . But as you say everyone has there own thoughts I will look at that pole also that you recommended  Thanks for your time in all this . I have a clearer picture tonight 
I think it has a lot to do with the brush and water setting used. I have two inside 100% fan jets and two outside 50% fan jets on my brushes. My controller is set to 60 so probably giving out 2 litres a minute, never had a problem bar the amount of pure I use.

If you are new to window cleaning, I would suggest the pencil jets, the reason being, when your starting out you have to wash all the frames, and the top of the frame you can control The water easier, more directly without catching the brickwork with the pencil jets. With fan jets they spray in a much wider area,and are more difficult to control,  you may be fine starting out with fan jets I don’t know how you feel. Just my thoughts, I do now use fanjets sometimes not always though, but I haven’t used the new style capsule jets from Gardiners. I agree too on the six 22 it’s my everyday pole. 

I firmly believe that 100 degree fan jets will eat pencil jets for breakfast during every stage of the process, especially in the rinse. But most people don't take the time to learn how to use them properly.

You will see that people say they're hard to control and that the water goes everywhere. They are not, and it doesn't. You simply keep the brush on or very close to the window during the whole wash and rinse. The only way the water can go outside of the window is because of user error. Folk need to be in control of their technique not fighting it. I reckon they've probably knocked an hour off our days work and saved enough water for us to get a at least a couple of more jobs done with our tank of water. ?

I think it has a lot to do with the brush and water setting used. I have two inside 100% fan jets and two outside 50% fan jets on my brushes. My controller is set to 60 so probably giving out 2 litres a minute, never had a problem bar the amount of pure I use.
Thanks Scottish for your Reply . I get a couple of poles one set up as pencil and one fan see how it goes .appreciate the advice i liked the fan jets it was just what I got told that changed my mind . I am looking forward to this new start in life not being stuck at a Desk anymore being your own boss deciding what to.do.in your Day Not someone telling you what to.do 

I firmly believe that 100 degree fan jets will eat pencil jets for breakfast during every stage of the process, especially in the rinse. But most people don't take the time to learn how to use them properly. ?
Ha Ha well I go Fan then,  I let you guys know how I get on . 

I firmly believe that 100 degree fan jets will eat pencil jets for breakfast during every stage of the process, especially in the rinse. But most people don't take the time to learn how to use them properly. ?
My first brush was a soft flocked sill brush and I got 100% fan jets with it. Turned out it was rubbish because the bristles got in the way, so I would have said they were rubbish. This year I have purchased many new brushes and the bristles don't get in the way because of good design. So maybe that's why there is such a divide on here but if you move with the times, you won't be disappointed. I buy new equipment all the time, one or two out of ten will be real nuggets that save me time in the future like the 35cm tapertape new brush that came out. You have got to speculate to accumulate in this game, I'm afraid.

Ha Ha well I go Fan then,  I let you guys know how I get on . 
I suggest, give them a proper try. Set your settings fairly high. If they ain't fizzing when the brush is against the glass the settings are too low. Make sure you bring down a continuous, full width curtain flow of water from the top to the bottom during the rinse.

Thanks Scottish for your Reply . I get a couple of poles one set up as pencil and one fan see how it goes .appreciate the advice i liked the fan jets it was just what I got told that changed my mind . I am looking forward to this new start in life not being stuck at a Desk anymore being your own boss deciding what to.do.in your Day Not someone telling you what to.do 
I don't think you will regret it, I've only being going over two years now and fell into it by accident, well my windy fell off his ladder and never came back so I bought a squeegee and the rest is history. I was fitting a garage drain for my mate today after I PW his driveway and water pooled at his front door. Even picked up a new customer who noticed my van in her area. Best thing I have bought is a hot water system because I can take on any job now, that's what you want to be heading for, a wfp system. ?

My first brush was a soft flocked sill brush and I got 100% fan jets with it. Turned out it was rubbish because the bristles got in the way, so I would have said they were rubbish. This year I have purchased many new brushes and the bristles don't get in the way because of good design. So maybe that's why there is such a divide on here but if you move with the times, you won't be disappointed. I buy new equipment all the time, one or two out of ten will be real nuggets that save me time in the future like the 35cm tapertape new brush that came out. You have got to speculate to accumulate in this game, I'm afraid.
Thanks Mate what Company sell that Brush that's just come out . Yeah there is so much Divide in Poles and Brushes . I did read with the Fan it has to be close to the window and you can rinse as you go so will save you water 

You have to cut the bristles away a bit, when using the jets. It tells you on Gardiner website, that’s why you haven’t got on with them with the flocked. That’s the brush I’ve got them on and like. 
mots so true many different opinions, that’s why you have to try everything for yourself. I’m tempted by that new brush you speak about. But these last 6 months I’ve bought 4 new brushes, I’m getting like you always spending???

If you are new to window cleaning, I would suggest the pencil jets, the reason being, when your starting out you have to wash all the frames, and the top of the frame you can control The water easier, more directly without catching the brickwork with the pencil jets. With fan jets they spray in a much wider area,and are more difficult to control,  you may be fine starting out with fan jets I don’t know how you feel. Just my thoughts, I do now use fanjets sometimes not always though, but I haven’t used the new style capsule jets from Gardiners. I agree too on the six 22 it’s my everyday pole. 
Thanks Jango for your Reply . I def get that pole then with a couple of you guys suggesting it . I get both pencil and fan try and get use to both of them . It does help so much to get peoples thoughts . Especially when you just starting up . Thanks again 

Back