Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can’t power 4 jets

Dirty dan

I got a problem and literally ripped everything out and started again and I still can’t find the problem. I’ve been using a Gardiner pole with a window cleaning warehouse Brush until recently, I’ve just bought a Gardiner brush with 4 fan jets but there isn’t enough water coming through, they look like pencil jets, I’ve turned the controller to maximum but still no joy, I’ve changed all hozelock fitting to brass ones and even by-passed the filters (after buying a new Unger filter). Still nothing works, the water does project out about 4-5 foot so I THINK that should be enough pressure. I’ve even tried a back up pump. Any ideas what I can try next. Thanks ?

So no water out of the pole then ?? Check the pole hose for kinks or blockages in the pole hose or jets take  the pole hose out of the John guest fitting below the brush have you got water to there ok ? Is so then it must be the jets or jet hose 

I am getting water, it comes out as a small pencil jet type stream, not the fans that’s it’s supposed to be
Are you using a backpack? If so just wonder if the battery isn’t up to the job , or the pumps on the way out ??? 

Your controller probably needs calibrating, go through the Internet and you will find how to calibrate your controller. I did away with all but one hoselock fittings, especially the brass ones as I suspected they were sucking in air when not under pressure

I use a 35cm brush with 4 100° fans with no issue with a cheap chinese 5lpm pump.

Definitely calibrate the controller as it may be dead ending.

This is spring controllers vid who make most controllers on the market no matter what brand.

I’ve tried recalibrating it, screwed it up as it won’t auto calibrate, only just managed to get water coming back through but it still won’t work on 4 jets, My van is now a mess with tools, hoses and pump all over the floor. Good news is I sealed my floor properly as there is about 4 inches of water trying to get out of the van! ?
I’ve tried and changed everything except the pump and controller, after everything I’ve done I don’t think it’s an air lock in the pump, I’ve got a suspicion it’s something to do with the controller but I don’t know how

I have a suspicion it might be air. Along with what the other guys have kindly suggested, I'd try a different (2 jet) brush and see if that's any better. To remove the occasional partial air lock in my system I disconnect the hose at the reel and set the flow on full bore. The sound in the pump and system changes as the air is forced out. We generally only have an issue after a week or two of not working and it's normally only a couple of minutes to remedy.

Good luck. Please don't forget to let us know how you sorted it out when you have. Don't worry too much, you will sort it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a suspicion it might be air. Along with what the other guys have kindly suggested, I'd try a different (2 jet) brush and see if that's any better. To remove the occasional partial air lock in my system I disconnect the hose at the reel and set the flow on full bore. The sound in the pump and system changes as the air is forced out. We generally only have an issue after a week or two of not working and it's normally only a couple of minutes to remedy.

Good luck. Please don't forget to let us know how you sorted it out when you have. Don't worry too much, you will sort it.
I’m taking everything on board that everyone is saying so far. And I will let people know how I’ve got on, Now it’s behaving different again, ive set controller to 50, pressure was getting weaker and weaker, then I turned it off and on, it’s only just doing the job at 50 but dead ended when I try to turn up the controller ??‍♂️

Can you remove the fans from the brush and see if they work. We had to remove, cut off, quite a few bristles for our fans to work. Either that or Gardiners have sent you pencil jets to annoy you ?
It’s playing up when I try to use 4 of wcw jets too that I know work as jets in pairs but again not as 4. It’s something stupid that I haven’t figured out yet ?

I’m taking everything on board that everyone is saying so far. And I will let people know how I’ve got on, Now it’s behaving different again, ive set controller to 50, pressure was getting weaker and weaker, then I turned it off and on, it’s only just doing the job at 50 but dead ended when I try to turn up the controller ??‍♂️
Maybe the calibration needs increasing?

Sorry Dan, just seen that you've increased the cal. ?

I’ve got it booked into window cleaning warehouse for a quick look in the morning. I don’t want to play anymore, maybe a fresh set of eyes will figure it out, I’ll let you all know tomorrow what they say

Can you remove the fans from the brush and see if they work. We had to remove, cut off, quite a few bristles for our fans to work. Either that or Gardiners have sent you pencil jets to annoy you ?
You can remove press fitted conventional fan & pencil jets. The beat method is an automatic punch and one firm press should eject them from your brush head. The other method is using a pair or standard pliers and carefully yet firmly hold the hose barb end and with a minor twist and pull they will come out 

Well after having the engineer at window cleaning warehouse having a look at my system this morning, he Changed to calibration setting to 60 so I’m not dead ending at 50. As for using 4 jets he has no idea why it isn’t working. Nothing wrong with set up, plenty of flow on 2 jets. ??‍♂️ 
thanks for the advice you all given but I think I’m just going to have to settle for 2 jets only. 

Well after having the engineer at window cleaning warehouse having a look at my system this morning, he Changed to calibration setting to 60 so I’m not dead ending at 50. As for using 4 jets he has no idea why it isn’t working. Nothing wrong with set up, plenty of flow on 2 jets. ??‍♂️ 
thanks for the advice you all given but I think I’m just going to have to settle for 2 jets only. 
Just a thought what psi pump have you got is it 60 or 100 psi ?? 

Back