Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Easiest way to remove ivy roots from pvc

Cleanco

Hi guys, I’m currently pricing a job up that has loads of ivy surrounding it. Most of the ivy has been removed from the gutters and fascias but they have  left all the roots that are like little dots engrained into the plastic. I know I could get up there and remove them by hand but the whole house is covered and would take too long with an abrasive cleaner but I was wandering if there was a spray and leave application that I could apply on one visit then on the next visit they just come off with a basic fascia clean. 

Pressure washer will remove them just go carefully with water ingress into  roof space , only other way is get up there with magic sponge and cream cleaner , biocides won’t remove theses root systems  

1 hour ago, Pjj said:
Pressure washer will remove them just go carefully with water ingress into  roof space , only other way is get up there with magic sponge and cream cleaner , biocides won’t remove theses root systems  
I didn’t really want to do it by hand as I know it’s just gonna be a right pita and was hoping for an easier option. Have you successfully done it with a power wash before as that looks like a better option for me?

I didn’t really want to do it by hand as I know it’s just gonna be a right pita and was hoping for an easier option. Have you successfully done it with a power wash before as that looks like a better option for me?
Yes I have on my own house when we moved in but not done it for customers it’s not something I would want to do , steam cleaners high temperature low pressure will remove it as well but they are difficult to get a hold of thermal tech or doff are the well known makes , but no one hires them . 

Run a mile!
Haha, that did cross my mind. It’s for a long term window cleaning customer and although I did tell her that they wouldn’t come off with just a normal fascia wash down I just thought I’d go the extra mile and see if there was an easy way of doing it as I certainly dont want to be doing it by hand as I haven’t the time. I did her a test patch last time I was there and she said it was ok but IMO I wouldnt be paying someone to leave em in that state even though they do look a lot better. 

Has the customer specifically asked for it to be removed? I'm just thinking don't make work for yourself if the customer ain't bothered. I have a couple that have the remains of ivy on the frames and they aren't bothered as long as they're clean. If they specifically want it done then it becomes a restoration job, just charge accordingly, if it takes all day it takes all day, as long as you're making what you want from it you're away.

Haha, that did cross my mind. It’s for a long term window cleaning customer and although I did tell her that they wouldn’t come off with just a normal fascia wash down I just thought I’d go the extra mile and see if there was an easy way of doing it as I certainly dont want to be doing it by hand as I haven’t the time. I did her a test patch last time I was there and she said it was ok but IMO I wouldnt be paying someone to leave em in that state even though they do look a lot better. 
Lifes too short mate seriously. Don’t make it harder than it has to be and demoralize yourself. Its plastic pvc guttering not a 17th century chandelier lol. Move on to easier stuff and learn from it. The extra mile will land up ? creek without a paddle. Don’t try and defeat ivy mate it will win. Even if you come out the other side you’ll feel like you’ve done 12 rounds with tyson

Lifes too short mate seriously. Don’t make it harder than it has to be and demoralize yourself. Its plastic pvc guttering not a 17th century chandelier lol. Move on to easier stuff and learn from it. The extra mile will land up ? creek without a paddle. Don’t try and defeat ivy mate it will win. Even if you come out the other side you’ll feel like you’ve done 12 rounds with tyson

Has the customer specifically asked for it to be removed? I'm just thinking don't make work for yourself if the customer ain't bothered. I have a couple that have the remains of ivy on the frames and they aren't bothered as long as they're clean. If they specifically want it done then it becomes a restoration job, just charge accordingly, if it takes all day it takes all day, as long as you're making what you want from it you're away.
Cheers guys but I have said that I won’t be doing it unless there’s an easier option than doing it by hand hence this post. I’m way to busy with my regular stuff to be messin about with jobs like that. It would probs be cheaper and easier to stick some fascia veneers over the top for what I would charge to do it by hand. 

Back