Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Boost water pressure

WCF

Help Support WCF:

omni

Hi all.

Ive been using this system on and off for years but now have a need to use it full time. Unfortunately my water pressure has dropped to only 2 bar (I blame all the new houses) and Im in need of a booster pump. Im not certain which to buy as there seem to be a few different types. 

Heres a photo of what I have. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Matt

IMG_20200609_150726.jpg

Hi all.

Ive been using this system on and off for years but now have a need to use it full time. Unfortunately my water pressure has dropped to only 2 bar (I blame all the new houses) and Im in need of a booster pump. Im not certain which to buy as there seem to be a few different types. 

Heres a photo of what I have. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Matt

View attachment 20858
Good afternoon to you. Machine mart Clarke booster pumps are very good and reliable at a reasonable price to. 

Easy to install and get up and running. Always use an RCD with them. 

Heres an example of the most affordable. Stay away from cheap Ebay Amazon shite. They'll flood you out 

Screenshot_20200609-151349_Chrome.jpg

Thanks Apw1210. I have already looked at that pump and the manual states it only cuts in at 1,5bar so wouldn't be any good to me as mine runs at 2 bar. 

Hi Omni,  yes I'm looking at getting a booster pump. My pressure has dropped to 40psi was 45-50. I am getting 2.5 lpm of pure and 4.3lpm of waste. There's quite a few booster pumps I've looked at Pure Freedoms, the Clarke cbm240e and waiting for Doug at Daqua to get back to me. This probably hasn't helped you but the people with the best knowledge will probably be on here later, so I'll also keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks Rick

Good afternoon to you. Machine mart Clarke booster pumps are very good and reliable at a reasonable price to. 

Easy to install and get up and running. Always use an RCD with them. 

Heres an example of the most affordable. Stay away from cheap Ebay Amazon shite. They'll flood you out 

View attachment 20859
This is by no means my area of knowledge. But 50 Lpm looks like a very high flow rate to me. That's faster than my Ibc to van transfer pump. My booster pump pushes between 1 and 1.5 Lpm. Like I say it's not really my area, and I may well be wrong but I'd be worried it might blow your housings apart.

You'll get some more knowledgeable advice from the other guys, I'm sure.

This is by no means my area of knowledge. But 50 Lpm looks like a very high flow rate to me. That's faster than my Ibc to van transfer pump. My booster pump pushes between 1 and 1.5 Lpm. Like I say it's not really my area, and I may well be wrong but I'd be worried it might blow your housings apart.

You'll get some more knowledgeable advice from the other guys, I'm sure.
I would say thats up too 50Lpm. If the pressure doesn't drop below 1.5bar the manual says it wont even start the pump so it wouldn't actually do anything. They do have more powerful ones but I'd read it runs at 86 decibels! That in my garage would deafen me!

I would say thats up too 50Lpm. If the pressure doesn't drop below 1.5bar the manual says it wont even start the pump so it wouldn't actually do anything. They do have more powerful ones but I'd read it runs at 86 decibels! That in my garage would deafen me!
It's only early evening. I reckon you will get some more knowledgeable info later on as folk settle after the day's work. I think what you need is low volume but high pressure. I'm interested in what the other guys will say.

It's only early evening. I reckon you will get some more knowledgeable info later on as folk settle after the day's work. I think what you need is low volume but high pressure. I'm interested in what the other guys will say.
I had thought about changing all the pipework (especially the waste and pure from RO) to a smaller width. I imagine that would increase the pressure in the RO....?

I had thought about changing all the pipework (especially the waste and pure from RO) to a smaller width. I imagine that would increase the pressure in the RO....?
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cbm240e-1in-multi-stage-230v-booster-pum/

you can buy it cheaper from other sources.

https://www.anglianpumping.com/product/water-boosting-pumps/cbm240e-230v-7230670

(the boys at MachineMart have become a bunch of bandits.)

or this

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/xline-shop/filters-filter-systems/filter-systems/240v-booster-pump-detail

plus this

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/xline-shop/filters-filter-systems/filter-systems/electronic-shutoff-controller-for-booster-pump-detail

ask them to supply fittings for 1/2" pipe and wire the electronic controller up for you. They will charge a little extra for doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have only got 2 bar pressure I think any booster pump is going tk be over running the supply and sucking water out of the mains , sounds like you will need a break tank Ime sure @spruce or @doug atkinson will be able to advise better than me .
You will not need a break tank when producing water using a single 4040 membrane. Water authority regulations limit the amount of water a booster pump can draw from the network to 12lpm.

When flushing the r/o the booster pump needs to be turned off.

It doesn't work this way.

Hi Omni,  yes I'm looking at getting a booster pump. My pressure has dropped to 40psi was 45-50. I am getting 2.5 lpm of pure and 4.3lpm of waste. There's quite a few booster pumps I've looked at Pure Freedoms, the Clarke cbm240e and waiting for Doug at Daqua to get back to me. This probably hasn't helped you but the people with the best knowledge will probably be on here later, so I'll also keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks Rick
Doug has a booster for 4021 r/o's.

Hi Spruce, I've talked to him and I have a 4040, he is talking to a manufacturer this week and is going to let me know when he will have a pump ready that I could use on a 4040.

Thanks Richard

Wire your own controller. 2 minute job by adding 1 metre of 3 core flex and a single trailing end extension socket. Their flow switches are grossly overpriced 

https://youtu.be/WIcImRh-9yc

Thanks for that info!

Only thing that worries me is both pumps have a cut in pressure of 1.6/1.5 bar respectively. If my pressure is 2 bar surely there only going to work for a minute then cut out...

Thanks for that info!

Only thing that worries me is both pumps have a cut in pressure of 1.6/1.5 bar respectively. If my pressure is 2 bar surely there only going to work for a minute then cut out...
cbm240e requires a start pressure of 1.6 bar so within your 2 bar water pressure. The pump will boost to 4.8bar.

https://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manuals/water_pumps/cbm_cpe_handy_pump2.pdf

see page 10

Xline pump.

I don't know what the boost pressure is of the pump but the electronic controller requires a water pressure of 1.5bar to activate the pump, so again within your requirements.

Wortex do a number of different pumps. These are the ones Xline sell for their 4040's. You could phone them and ask what the boost pressure of the pump is. They will tell you.

Gardiners used to sell the same pump for 4040's. If memory serves me a poster reported a 65psi plus but I could be wrong.

I agree that the controller is easy to wire up. but I recall one poster a while back went into panic mode when he thought he had to wire it up himself. This is why I suggested getting them to do it @Apw1210

This post from 2 years ago might help you. It shows a pump number. Maybe @tuffers can tell us a bit more detail regarding output pressures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate I’ve just got one from vyair if I remember rightly it was £180 it makes a massive difference it’s a e-chen ev-636-1000h or drop vyair a email there really help full and know these systems inside out 

Latest Posts

Back