how to claim for water we use

just wondering if adding the water bill to business expenses would be right ? and legal ?  just received the bill ( £190  ) from south east water , and  at  least half of that  goes into my van so logically I can put it down  as an expense ??!  can't I

any thoughts ?

thx 🙂

Edited by Iurie
scottish cleaning service
26 minutes ago, Iurie said:

just wondering if adding the water bill to business expenses would be right ? and legal ?  just received the bill ( £190  ) from south east water , and  at  least half of that  goes into my van so logically I can put it down  as an expense ??!  can't I

any thoughts ?

thx 🙂

I'm £400 a year for water and sewerage but I can use as much tap water as I like but I don't think I could use it as an expense. With yourself having a water meter then I think you can claim 50% of what you use but most of the cost maybe a standing charge. fwiw  

2 hours ago, Iurie said:

any thoughts ?

thx 🙂

You need to get it separated, household and business, then you can.

On 10/06/2020 at 15:06, scottish cleaning service said:

I'm £400 a year for water and sewerage but I can use as much tap water as I like but I don't think I could use it as an expense. With yourself having a water meter then I think you can claim 50% of what you use but most of the cost maybe a standing charge. fwiw  

I wouldn’t imagine 50% would go through the books. I know my accountant doesn’t claim 50% for me. Like part timer says. It needs to be separate to be more accurate. 

Or fit a sub meter and claim the exact amount you use. I also do this with electricity, I have a meter on the outdoor circuits that feeds my van (charger and immersion on separate circuits).

Edited by AGlassAct
11 hours ago, AGlassAct said:

Or fit a sub meter and claim the exact amount you use. I also do this with electricity, I have a meter on the outdoor circuits that feeds my van (charger and immersion on separate circuits).

Im gonna fit a meter  and start counting from now on .  Thanks for your time guys