Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Measuring water usage.

JJ-window-cleaner86

Hi everyone.

I've been window cleaning for 11 years for a company and have decided to go it alone.

I have a question about measuring water usage from my outside tap to the tank in the van. I spoke to Anglia water and they suggested a sub meter and to send them recordings. I haven't the slightest clue about sub meters so thought I'd ask here.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Thanks.

You will have your main water meter with all water to your property registered on it , then you need a sub meter on your outside tap all water that goes through that will also be recorded , then they will take the sub meter reading away from your main meters reading , you will only pay for the water  on the sub meter not the sewage charge ,this will make a big difference to the bills , just make sure that any waist water doesnt  go into the drains ,if it does then they will charge you the sewage rate as well , Ime with south west water but I believe most water authorities work a similar system they will fit the sub meter for  you as it has to be sealed with there special pliers and lead seal so you cannot fiddle the amount you use , any questions just ask  

Hi everyone.

I've been window cleaning for 11 years for a company and have decided to go it alone.

I have a question about measuring water usage from my outside tap to the tank in the van. I spoke to Anglia water and they suggested a sub meter and to send them recordings. I haven't the slightest clue about sub meters so thought I'd ask here.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Thanks.
@NoNamedid a write up about how this works with his water supplier quite a while back. I can't find it on this forum or the other he frequents.

Thanks for the replies.

Pjj, thanks for all the info.

I sent an email to Anglia water and they seemed pretty laid back. No mention about them fitting it or seals to make it tamper proof. They essentially said buy one and fit it. Didn't even recommend a certain type. I'll send them another message and ask for something more specific.

Thanks again.

I was told to fit any standard in line water meter. No real specifics. I was sent a form to enable me to re-claim the sewerage charge (as far as they are concerned I take all the water away and non goes to drain). I don’t claim this at the moment I just claim my water as a normal business expense for the metered portion. I do a ‘meter’ read on my sub meter every month and pay the appropriate amount directly to my wife who pays the bill

1ECDD413-D3EB-492E-8BD2-D01F930D7354.png

Thanks for that AGlassAct. I was looking at that model on ebay and wondering if it was the right kind of thing. I've got a plumber fitting an outside tap in a couple of weeks, so I'll get him install one of those as well.

Back