Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Size Tank is needed for going jobsite to jobsite (backpack & trolley system)

KingKat

I've been doing WFP cleaning for about a year now and am looking for a system to speed up production. Started out with a small Di only filter and two poles, then added a trailer, RO/Di, poles, hoses, pump etc. But I've found that the loading and unloading time, rearranging hoses, getting tangled up with your partner ha really been slowing down production. So I'm strongly considering moving to a tank & backpack/trolley system but I have no idea how much water we use. Based on your previous experience if a team of two backpacks is doing 5 two storey houses with 20 windows each, what size tank do I need to bring along for the day?  

There is no simple answer no two people work at the same speed , depends how dirty the windows are , and how many properties you do  per day , a van mount system will save you loads of time so you should be much faster and do a lot more work , as a rule of thumb from 20 years experience I have found one man on his own needs 500-650 ltr  per day , and two guys need 1000+ per day . 

Based on your previous experience if a team of two backpacks is doing 5 two storey houses with 20 windows each, what size tank do I need to bring along for the day?  
This doesn't really help as you've not told us how long it takes. I work on the basis that 2 men will use anything from 100 - 175 litres an hour depending on how compact the work is.

a van mount system will save you loads of time so you should be much faster and do a lot more work
With the van mount would you be recommending to use the customers water source?

as a rule of thumb from 20 years experience I have found one man on his own needs 500-650 ltr  per day , and two guys need 1000+ per day . 
Can you explain what the estimate is based off? how many house & windows per house (assume the windows arent in bad shape)

Thank you for your input @Pjj

This doesn't really help as you've not told us how long it takes. I work on the basis that 2 men will use anything from 100 - 175 litres an hour depending on how compact the work is.
Isn't the idea of backpacks to also reduce consumption? ie stop water flow once your off the window. However that estimate does help 100-175 litres per hour, thank you

With the van mount would you be recommending to use the customers water source?

Can you explain what the estimate is based off? how many house & windows per house (assume the windows arent in bad shape)

Thank you for your input @Pjj
Filtration of water will depend on your TDS , I have no idear what yours would be in Canada , in England generally speaking if your TDS is above 100 you need to filter the water using an RO system , if below 100 TDS you can just use DI resin most of us purify our water at home but if using DI resin only yes you could fill up at the customers house .

500-650 ltr of pure water would last me working on my own for up tk 8 hours doing compact domestic work , if doing commercial without moving the van probably last 5-6 hours .

Again not sure what size houses you do in Canada si difficult tk say how many could be cleaned .  

Isn't the idea of backpacks to also reduce consumption? ie stop water flow once your off the window. However that estimate does help 100-175 litres per hour, thank you
Using a backpack  won’t reduce  the water volume used , it will however take a lot longer to do the clean stopping to re fill it and get it in and out if the van , with a van mount and fixed reels we have the pole in the window within seconds of pulling up at the property 

49E9D758-0383-4941-9328-A531C2E48DE9.jpeg

100EED38-2114-4921-B035-B47A2727BE09.jpeg

Using a backpack  won’t reduce  the water volume used , it will however take a lot longer to do the clean stopping to re fill it and get it in and out if the van , with a van mount and fixed reels we have the pole in the window within seconds of pulling up at the property 

View attachment 20935

View attachment 20936
Man that's a sweet set up! Convenience and speed is my top priority, so perhaps the backpack are nice on really small jobs, but an average job or above I'm getting the sense that there will be many many refills, wasting precious time..

What id are those yellow and blue hoses? I had 40m of 4.7mm line but it significantly reduced my pressure, had to find another solution.

Also for a pump for my RO, what would you recommend for maximum psi and a maximum gpm or gph?

Man that's a sweet set up! Convenience and speed is my top priority, so perhaps the backpack are nice on really small jobs, but an average job or above I'm getting the sense that there will be many many refills, wasting precious time..

What id are those yellow and blue hoses? I had 40m of 4.7mm line but it significantly reduced my pressure, had to find another solution.

Also for a pump for my RO, what would you recommend for maximum psi and a maximum gpm or gph?
The hose on the reels is microbore one is yellow the other red one is hydro heat hose we use hot water the smaller hose on the reels is connected to the microbore and goes up inside the poles it’s called a hoseless system  ,each reel has 100 meters of microbore hose with 30 meters of pole hose connected to the microbore the hose exits the van through the floor and a roller system , I have an 800 ltr booster pump and can produce  1000 ltr of pure in under 2 hours . 

@Pjj The backpack & trolley system was my option 1A, now most likely go another route.

My option 1B was:
- Enclosed trailer
- Ro
- pump
- 3 hose reels
- 1 hose goes from customer supply to pump to RO (16mm id hose)

- 2 pure water hoses (80m hose 8mm id     &     60m hose 8mm id)

Total cost is about $6000 CAD, any suggestions you might make to this set up? 

@Pjj The backpack & trolley system was my option 1A, now most likely go another route.

My option 1B was:
- Enclosed trailer
- Ro
- pump
- 3 hose reels
- 1 hose goes from customer supply to pump to RO (16mm id hose)

- 2 pure water hoses (80m hose 8mm id     &     60m hose 8mm id)

Total cost is about $6000 CAD, any suggestions you might make to this set up? 
Sounds like the way you do it in Canada is a bit different to us , but provided you have a TDS of 000 it doesn’t really matter what your set up is , you have to go with equipment that’s available in your country , try talking to any suppliers near you and ask there advice . 

Sounds like the way you do it in Canada is a bit different to us , but provided you have a TDS of 000 it doesn’t really matter what your set up is , you have to go with equipment that’s available in your country , try talking to any suppliers near you and ask there advice . 
There's not many people with WFP experience where I live, so unfortunately I have to go to the internet for advice.

Ok ware do you buy your kit from ??? Is water fed pole cleaning common in Canada ?
There are only 4 or 5 retailers across Canada, none of which I can visit in person. Their mark--up is ridiculous, and they have a very slim selection. And none of the retailers have experience with the equipment, they're merely resellers. So its hard to get real advice when they don't know what their doing themselves. 

There are only 4 or 5 retailers across Canada, none of which I can visit in person. Their mark--up is ridiculous, and they have a very slim selection. And none of the retailers have experience with the equipment, they're merely resellers. So its hard to get real advice when they don't know what their doing themselves. 
Would something like this be what you need, there are smaller cheaper versions. 

https://purefreedom.co.uk/ro-2-go-stainless-steel-trolley-mounted-pumped-ro-di-system.html

Both @Pjj and I, and many others, start the day off with tanks full of pure, usually between 650 - 1000 litres. We have a filtration system in the van where, if required, we can produce pure whilst still working. All we need is a water source and power so never run out. We also have fixed powered hose reels which makes reeling in quicker and easier.

Back