Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Construction site dust

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Phumble

Hi Guys, looking for a bit of advice, recently I've come in to quite a bit of business in a new build estate, one that is partly still under construction in fact.

I have noticed that some of the windows have lots of staining on them  almost like water marks, extremely difficult to remove and I'm not removing them at all with standard application, I suspect it's some kind of cement/clay dust from the construction site.

Any recommendations on how to get rid of it would be massively appreciated.

Cheers 

PH

Hi Guys, looking for a bit of advice, recently I've come in to quite a bit of business in a new build estate, one that is partly still under construction in fact.

I have noticed that some of the windows have lots of staining on them  almost like water marks, extremely difficult to remove and I'm not removing them at all with standard application, I suspect it's some kind of cement/clay dust from the construction site.

Any recommendations on how to get rid of it would be massively appreciated.

Cheers 

PH
Sometimes on these sites they spray water around to try and keep the dust down, it could just be hard water marks. Either that or remains of glue where the plastic glass protector has been removed. Viakal for hard water and WD40 for the glue. Someone that does builders cleans should be able to help better.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Phumble as you are in Ireland not sure if you have soft water or not with regards to hard water staining , builders and the cheap contractors they get to do the work are getting worse as the years go by but who knows a photo on your next job(s) may well help to identify the issue 

I just done a big job where the house had been gutted extended, had new windows, new plaster, paint, rendering on the outside. 

The project manager wanted me to do the whole house, top to bottom, inside and out. 

The windows were caked in everything and each individual window and frame had to be washed, scrapped and scrubbed. 

you have to charge for the extra time, as your clothes will be filthy after every window.

Each window will take so much longer than  normal. 

Do not underestimate how long it will take.

I just done a big job where the house had been gutted extended, had new windows, new plaster, paint, rendering on the outside. 

The project manager wanted me to do the whole house, top to bottom, inside and out. 

The windows were caked in everything and each individual window and frame had to be washed, scrapped and scrubbed. 

you have to charge for the extra time, as your clothes will be filthy after every window.

Each window will take so much longer than  normal. 

Do not underestimate how long it will take.
Jobs like yours are into the £100's for a sparkle clean

I quoted just under £200 and wish I had charged more in the end. 
They are always far more work than anyone realises until you get into them I have done a fair few in the past and you really don't see everything when quoting, hopefully a good learning curve but also you will get more work from the job and earn some more ££££

Yeah the area I cover is known to have hard water so maybe that is the issue, i was just worried it was something linked to the building site that I was unfamiliar with, the frames and dirt have been removed from the windows but these spots remain, thanks for the viakal and kilrock recommendations, are there any other hard water removers worth looking at? 

Yeah the area I cover is known to have hard water so maybe that is the issue, i was just worried it was something linked to the building site that I was unfamiliar with, the frames and dirt have been removed from the windows but these spots remain, thanks for the viakal and kilrock recommendations, are there any other hard water removers worth looking at? 
Over here some new brick built houses get pressure washed down after completion to wash off the dust from brickwork but they usually do a window clean on the same day straight after by the same lads, maybe they have been pressure washed and left 

I've got a big job where they are building some new properties right next to and the last two times I've cleaned it I've had the same problem on a pyramid skylight it's got. The glass is all rough to the feel even after washing. Tried a couple of things and in the end it was the kilrock limescale remover that shifted it easily. 

Back