Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What's this please

Azz1

Hello everyone. I have just done my neighbors windows for them and just noticed this. I can't remember if it was already there or not. I know it's not clear but it like some mark or some mist on the outside. Can anybody please advise. Thanks

IMG_20200613_192424.jpg

IMG_20200613_192129.jpg

It looks like the window has 'blown' to me,  quite possibly if it hasn't been cleaned in a while it may not have have been as evident prior to doing so. Nothing that you have done, if I'm correct , they only way to rectify would be to replace the panel.

Do you mean that it is letting water in and condensation etc ? That just my luck that if it is
It's nothing to worry about - it's not been caused by you. It happens to all double glazing units - it's basically caused by age - those facing south tend to 'blow' sooner than those facing other directions since they get the full force of the sun. The only solution is for your neighbour to get the unit replaced (if they are bothered by it).

To me, and I'll be honest I've had a few drinks,so apologies if my squinting at my phone is incorrect! It looks like condensation between the glazing panels, if I'm right, its nothing that you have done but would be evident now that the glass is clean. If the glass has blown, it ould normally be more evident between temperature differences on the internal and external glass. 

Has this happened to anyone before ? How would you go on about dealing with it of the customer comes to blame you. I'm starting to get new business. Should I mention that this could happen to new customers prior to starting the first clean ? Thanks everyone ?

Has this happened to anyone before ? How would you go on about dealing with it of the customer comes to blame you. I'm starting to get new business. Should I mention that this could happen to new customers prior to starting the first clean ? Thanks everyone ?
If you take on a new customer and do a external glass survey and simply tell them you need new sealed units as they are F@#ked. 

Nothing caused by a window cleaner 

Not something that can be cleaned 

You can't polish a turd 

Can't see too clearly on my laptop but it could also be limescale damage caused by a leaking overflow. If it is, it'll be on the outside of the glass and can sometimes be removed with a limescale remover such as ViaKal. I've done this successfully on ground floor windows but never tried it on a brush on upper windows. If I were to try it I'd wear a mask as I wouldn't want to breath in any spray falling from above whilst I was doing it and I'd make sure no one was nearby as well

Like the other comments have said, if it's inside the double glazed unit it won't be anything you have done. If the unit is fairly new it will be a manufacturing fault or a damaged unit. If the unit is older it will be weathering as explained in another comment. However, the beads of water we leave on a blown unit can make it look worse especially on a sunny day as the little beads act like lenses and warm up patches of glass making condensation appear on the inside of the unit momentarily until the water dries off the outside. In my experience this is what causes customers to think it's our fault. If you have a reasonable customer they will understand when you explain it to them. Unreasonable customers will convince themselves you are making excuses. Like many of us on here, I have experienced both. 

I hope you have good neighbours 

Units don't last forever and fail eventually, if you go up and inspect it from a ladder then you will have a better idea. I got the blame of scratching the glass on new windows but it turned out it was the roller when the unit was getting made. The scratches were inside the unit so they knew it couldn't be me.

Back