Stains on glass from run offs from render above glass!

Luke Macclesfield

Luke Macclesfield

Does anyone know if there’s any chemical that will remove the stains from the render run offs on the glass? 

I’ve got 2 houses on my round with the same problem, the windows have been put in directly below the new render (without stepping them back from the wall) so drips from the render have stained the glass... 

Ive used oil flo 141, which is usually good for removing building stains on glass, but not these.. 

Could they possibly be permanently stained? 🤔

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Luke. 

Sounds like it could be lime scale , try vikal lime scale remover or similar products , hopefully it should get it off , I know some use bronze wool as well 

• Thanks 1
Luke Macclesfield
5 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Sounds like it could be lime scale , try vikal lime scale remover or similar products , hopefully it should get it off , I know some use bronze wool as well 

Thanks mate, I’ll give that a try. 👍👍

Luke Macclesfield
8 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Have you ever had any similar stains on the glass that simply can’t be removed? 

Ive used “ettore water spot remover” from windowcleancentre.co.uk, which is meant to remove limescale.. That didn’t work either.. 

Luke Macclesfield
10 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Crystal Clear 550 maybe.

Thanks Martyn.

I’ve just read up on that, looks like that might do the trick, I’ll give it a try. 👍

Any ideas of anything else if that doesn’t work?

Have you ever used acid to remove stains? 🤔

Let me know how you get on mate as I’ve got the same problem only on one of my houses but it annoys me as the house is otherwise perfect. 

I’ve tried viakal, bronze wool even a scraper and had no joy 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
Luke Macclesfield
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Doddy111 said:

Let me know how you get on mate as I’ve got the same problem only on one of my houses but it annoys me as the house is otherwise perfect. 

I’ve tried viakal, bronze wool even a scraper and had no joy 

Will do mate. 👍

Like I said above, that oil flo 141 usually removes similar stains to them.. They are bedded droplet marks in the glass, they don’t smudge when you put your fingers through them.. So a scraper wouldn’t work.. 

Don’t think limescale remover will work as they’re stains from the render, I may be wrong tho.. 

Im going to try that crystal clear 550, what Martyn recommended, hopefully that’ll work! 🤞🤞

Edited by Luke Macclesfield
40 minutes ago, Luke Macclesfield said:

Thanks Martyn.

I’ve just read up on that, looks like that might do the trick, I’ll give it a try. 👍

I Know it's not the same thing but I use it on a car wash that we clean, the first time we did it it hadn't been done for years. I can't even begin to describe the build up of crud, in some spots it was maybe a millimeter thick and set like concrete.

This stuff is awesome but obviously I can't guarantee success. Good luck!

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Luke Macclesfield said:

Will do mate. 👍

Like I said above, that oil flo 141 usually removes similar stains to them.. They are bedded droplet marks in the glass, they don’t smudge when you put your fingers through them.. So a scraper wouldn’t work.. 

Don’t think limescale remover will work as they’re stains from the render, I may be wrong tho.. 

Im going to try that crystal clear 550, what Martyn recommended, hopefully that’ll work! 🤞🤞

Are you sure it’s not the unit breaking down. If it’s not coming off with a blade it’s probably inside. 

10 hours ago, Luke Macclesfield said:

Have you ever had any similar stains on the glass that simply can’t be removed? 

Ive used “ettore water spot remover” from windowcleancentre.co.uk, which is meant to remove limescale.. That didn’t work either.. 

Luckily we don’t get much of this type of thing , I have had mixed rest sometimes we can get it off sometime s not 😬😬😬

• Like 1
Daniel Perkins
10 hours ago, Luke Macclesfield said:

Thanks Martyn.

I've been using Crystal Clear for years. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection using it as the acid in it can be nasty. It's brilliant stuff for hard water stains, cloudiness or haze on glass though, you can use neat or dilute. For small areas I just use neat and for larger haziness I will dilute slightly. Not sure how it will do for run off, Cement-Off is quite good is that doesn't work out and obvously won't be a waste of money as both products will come in handy for other issues.

Edited by Daniel Perkins
  • Like 2

TBH mate if viakal wont get it off then i wouldnt bother...i have a few different windows on my round that have either lead runs/hard water marks,fence paint on frames,etc....ill clean off normal dirt and grime,bird muck,pollen,bird strikes,etc,.maybe the odd paint fleck but im not a magician.......its really not your problem IMO.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
scottish cleaning service
On 15/06/2020 at 22:55, Luke Macclesfield said:

Thanks Martyn.

I have limescale on pvc to clean. Bought a few acids to try because the vinegar took ages and I don't run a chip van. I will update when I find the correct chemical to get rid of it, there must be one out there that makes life a lot easier. 

• Thanks 1
Luke Macclesfield
On 17/06/2020 at 23:43, PrideCleaning said:

I had the same issue, I used a solvent UPVC Cleaner. Works a charm, 

My issue is stains on the glass mate, you can’t use that on the glass can you? 🤔

I use Unger Rubout, a bronze wool pad, and elbow grease 😀. That should do the trick. If that doesn't work then nothing will.

John

Gleam Clean

Tamar Valley Cornwall

Edited by mupps
  • Thanks 1