Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stains on glass from run offs from render above glass!

Does anyone know if there’s any chemical that will remove the stains from the render run offs on the glass? 

I’ve got 2 houses on my round with the same problem, the windows have been put in directly below the new render (without stepping them back from the wall) so drips from the render have stained the glass... 

Ive used oil flo 141, which is usually good for removing building stains on glass, but not these.. 

Could they possibly be permanently stained? ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Luke. 

Sounds like it could be lime scale , try vikal lime scale remover or similar products , hopefully it should get it off , I know some use bronze wool as well 
Have you ever had any similar stains on the glass that simply can’t be removed? 

Ive used “ettore water spot remover” from windowcleancentre.co.uk, which is meant to remove limescale.. That didn’t work either.. 

Let me know how you get on mate as I’ve got the same problem only on one of my houses but it annoys me as the house is otherwise perfect. 

I’ve tried viakal, bronze wool even a scraper and had no joy 

Let me know how you get on mate as I’ve got the same problem only on one of my houses but it annoys me as the house is otherwise perfect. 

I’ve tried viakal, bronze wool even a scraper and had no joy 
Will do mate. ?

Like I said above, that oil flo 141 usually removes similar stains to them.. They are bedded droplet marks in the glass, they don’t smudge when you put your fingers through them.. So a scraper wouldn’t work.. 

Don’t think limescale remover will work as they’re stains from the render, I may be wrong tho.. 

Im going to try that crystal clear 550, what Martyn recommended, hopefully that’ll work! ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Martyn.

I’ve just read up on that, looks like that might do the trick, I’ll give it a try. ?

Any ideas of anything else if that doesn’t work?

Have you ever used acid to remove stains? ?
I Know it's not the same thing but I use it on a car wash that we clean, the first time we did it it hadn't been done for years. I can't even begin to describe the build up of crud, in some spots it was maybe a millimeter thick and set like concrete.

This stuff is awesome but obviously I can't guarantee success. Good luck!

Will do mate. ?

Like I said above, that oil flo 141 usually removes similar stains to them.. They are bedded droplet marks in the glass, they don’t smudge when you put your fingers through them.. So a scraper wouldn’t work.. 

Don’t think limescale remover will work as they’re stains from the render, I may be wrong tho.. 

Im going to try that crystal clear 550, what Martyn recommended, hopefully that’ll work! ??
Are you sure it’s not the unit breaking down. If it’s not coming off with a blade it’s probably inside. 

Have you ever had any similar stains on the glass that simply can’t be removed? 

Ive used “ettore water spot remover” from windowcleancentre.co.uk, which is meant to remove limescale.. That didn’t work either.. 
Luckily we don’t get much of this type of thing , I have had mixed rest sometimes we can get it off sometime s not ???

Thanks Martyn.

I’ve just read up on that, looks like that might do the trick, I’ll give it a try. ?

I've been using Crystal Clear for years. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection using it as the acid in it can be nasty. It's brilliant stuff for hard water stains, cloudiness or haze on glass though, you can use neat or dilute. For small areas I just use neat and for larger haziness I will dilute slightly. Not sure how it will do for run off, Cement-Off is quite good is that doesn't work out and obvously won't be a waste of money as both products will come in handy for other issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH mate if viakal wont get it off then i wouldnt bother...i have a few different windows on my round that have either lead runs/hard water marks,fence paint on frames,etc....ill clean off normal dirt and grime,bird muck,pollen,bird strikes,etc,.maybe the odd paint fleck but im not a magician.......its really not your problem IMO.....

Thanks Martyn.

I have limescale on pvc to clean. Bought a few acids to try because the vinegar took ages and I don't run a chip van. I will update when I find the correct chemical to get rid of it, there must be one out there that makes life a lot easier. 

Hi, just posting this on here in hope it helps someone else! I've had terrible water drop marks from render on my bi-folding doors for over 2 years, I thought I had tried everything and I was at the point of getting quotes for new panes (£250 each needing 5 x panes :( ) as when the sunlight hit the windows it looked awful, went a hazy white colour and I couldn't stand looking at them any longer. I had Unger Rubout, a bronze wool pads on order as per Mupps recommendation but with the time off over Xmas I thought I'd get out there and give something else a try whilst I waited! I used Pink Stuff Paste and a polishing pad on a drill attachment. Slowly applied to the glass dry, buffed off on speed 2 on the drill and they're gone, I slowly watched them buff away as I was doing it! Over the moon! Windows look like new and saved £1250! Finally something worked! I tried Viakal, Toothpase, Vinegar and Alcohol, Various cleaning agents, scrapers, it wouldn't budge! Best thing about it was the drill did all the hard work! PS I'm not in the trade, I'm not sure if I've caused any long term damage to the glass, use this method if you wish. Ijust know I've watched countless Youtube videos, read various forums and this is the first thing that worked. Good luck, I hope this helps someone else!

Hi, just posting this on here in hope it helps someone else! I've had terrible water drop marks from render on my bi-folding doors for over 2 years, I thought I had tried everything and I was at the point of getting quotes for new panes (£250 each needing 5 x panes :( ) as when the sunlight hit the windows it looked awful, went a hazy white colour and I couldn't stand looking at them any longer. I had Unger Rubout, a bronze wool pads on order as per Mupps recommendation but with the time off over Xmas I thought I'd get out there and give something else a try whilst I waited! I used Pink Stuff Paste and a polishing pad on a drill attachment. Slowly applied to the glass dry, buffed off on speed 2 on the drill and they're gone, I slowly watched them buff away as I was doing it! Over the moon! Windows look like new and saved £1250! Finally something worked! I tried Viakal, Toothpase, Vinegar and Alcohol, Various cleaning agents, scrapers, it wouldn't budge! Best thing about it was the drill did all the hard work! PS I'm not in the trade, I'm not sure if I've caused any long term damage to the glass, use this method if you wish. Ijust know I've watched countless Youtube videos, read various forums and this is the first thing that worked. Good luck, I hope this helps someone else!
Hi, I have the same issue. Did you apply the link stuff before using the polishing pad, or apply the paste to the pad and use it at speed 2 to apply?

Hi, I have the same issue. Did you apply the pink stuff before using the polishing pad, or apply the paste to the pad and use it at speed 2 to apply?

Hi just tried this tip over the weeked (bought a cheap polishing pad kit for £9 on amazon) and this worked a treat.

I had tried everything also, including getting one window's glass replaced.

This was a great tip, thanks!

Back