Gardiner backpack issues with fuse

My Gardiner backpack stopped taking a charge and noticed the charger led flashing 

on inspection the 3 amp fuse had blown so I replaced thinking it would be nice and easy on replacing it it blew again probably when I plugged the charger in did it again and same results. I dismantled the backpack and looked at the wiring and all looks as it should.

the battery was flat so put that on to charge with my professional battery charger and was brought back to life. Not got any additional fuses yet so will pick up from Halfords later but all I’ve done really is put a charge into the battery. Any one know of any fuse related faults that could be causing my troubles as the pack is seldom used and other than the fuse blowing in what I’d consider good condition.

Thoughts?

32 minutes ago, BigFoot said:

My Gardiner backpack stopped taking a charge and noticed the charger led flashing 

on inspection the 3 amp fuse had blown so I replaced thinking it would be nice and easy on replacing it it blew again probably when I plugged the charger in did it again and same results. I dismantled the backpack and looked at the wiring and all looks as it should.

the battery was flat so put that on to charge with my professional battery charger and was brought back to life. Not got any additional fuses yet so will pick up from Halfords later but all I’ve done really is put a charge into the battery. Any one know of any fuse related faults that could be causing my troubles as the pack is seldom used and other than the fuse blowing in what I’d consider good condition.

Thoughts?

Most likely the charger has blown a mosfet or triac or the flow controller circuit has the same issues. High current depicts a short circuit or board failure. Is it under warranty and been used for pure water ONLY? 

18 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Most likely the charger has blown a mosfet or triac or the flow controller circuit has the same issues. High current depicts a short circuit or board failure. Is it under warranty and been used for pure water ONLY? 

Probably out of warranty I’ll check,  yep only water.

1 hour ago, BigFoot said:

Probably out of warranty I’ll check,  yep only water.

Not to panic. 

If you are confident to take the backpack apart by removing any water in the tank

Put it on the the best kitchen table cloth and remove the bottom access panel and check the matchbox sized flow controller for white pixie dust or moisture ? Common issues can be condensation and moisture causing undue resistance on the board and blowing it.

Its a serviceable part from Gardiner or a replacement is available from Darren Ansbro at DA COMPONENTS 

Try that first as its a cheap fix. Then if it's still tits up get a new replacement charger or try your nearest friend with the same backpack 

Kind regards Austin 

3 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Not to panic. 

If you are confident to take the backpack apart by removing any water in the tank

Put it on the the best kitchen table cloth and remove the bottom access panel and check the matchbox sized flow controller for white pixie dust or moisture ? Common issues can be condensation and moisture causing undue resistance on the board and blowing it.

Its a serviceable part from Gardiner or a replacement is available from Darren Ansbro at DA COMPONENTS 

Try that first as its a cheap fix. Then if it's still tits up get a new replacement charger or try your nearest friend with the same backpack 

Kind regards Austin 

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/backpack-flow-speed-controller-v3.html

https://www.da-components.com/mini-flow-controller-type-1.html

6 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

Not to panic. 

Kind regards Austin 

Thanks @Apw1210 looks like a little bit of open heart surgery on the weekend for the backpack!