Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rude customer....

Bwfc

Came across one of the rudest customers today. When I quoted it my gut feeling was leave it as she kept saying how much & surely roof only take 5 mins  so I dropped price but as had few in that road I let it go. So turned up today did the job 15 mins in she said oh have u finished the roof cos means be a lot cheaper? I said no needs rinsing with pure water still. Once all complete after hour 10 £49 for Windows & roof. She said oh u do £80 hour then? I said no been here just over an hour £49. Afterwards I thought got to tx to let her go can't have that lack of respect. Some people don't like u earning decent money... SAD.

Some people will do that. They don't understand that the cost also covers:

• Van expenses
  • Tools
  • Public liability insurance
  • Accountant (if you have one)
  • Holidays (inc. bank holidays)
  • Illness
  • Tax
  • etc...

I have explained this once or twice when people (now ex-customers) make comments like this & it's usually met with silence. 

Came across one of the rudest customers today. When I quoted it my gut feeling was leave it as she kept saying how much & surely roof only take 5 mins  so I dropped price but as had few in that road I let it go. So turned up today did the job 15 mins in she said oh have u finished the roof cos means be a lot cheaper? I said no needs rinsing with pure water still. Once all complete after hour 10 £49 for Windows & roof. She said oh u do £80 hour then? I said no been here just over an hour £49. Afterwards I thought got to tx to let her go can't have that lack of respect. Some people don't like u earning decent money... SAD.
If she were my customer I wouldn't be wasting my time texting her. If she contacted me later about a future clean, I'd be telling her that I'm running a business. I'm not prepared to be interrogated by a customer over pricing or how long a job takes. No more explanation than that and certainly NO apologies, justification or price lowering.

Each job is assessed by me. My price is given in writing on the back of a business card, with the work clearly itemised. I keep a detailed copy for myself in a notepad. This will have estimated time and anything else I deem relevant, for our company eyes only. .

Some people don't like us earning decent money. I treat rude people with the contempt they deserve, customer or no. But I do it without actually being rude... Mostly! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep had that experience, quite unnerving, when someone basically calling you a overpricing cowboy.  Some  people think we should be on £10 an hour others are nice n reasonable.

So true great I'm in a position to get rid of her in the past I would just take it. The reason I txt is because was set up for regular cleaning and wanted her to know better to get someone else if there is a problem with money. Absolutely loaded aswell the attitude was shocking. Funny she tx back saying we feel upset u feel that way. Nuts!!

So true great I'm in a position to get rid of her in the past I would just take it. The reason I txt is because was set up for regular cleaning and wanted her to know better to get someone else if there is a problem with money. Absolutely loaded aswell the attitude was shocking. Funny she tx back saying we feel upset u feel that way. Nuts!!
What did you actually text her, if you don’t mind my asking? I wouldn’t know where to start with phrasing a text to say you’ve disrespected me so you’re binned. 

What did you actually text her, if you don’t mind my asking? I wouldn’t know where to start with phrasing a text to say you’ve disrespected me so you’re binned. 
I just said if you have an issue with the price think better to get someone else as really busy any customers are happy with what I charge. She tried to blame me for changing quote but that was because she got really funny and reduced it so don't see how that didn't help her. Should of known because few years ago I priced it and she never got back to me. 

Must stick to original price. Think when someone gets nasty about it it throws me or every now and then u get someone say can u wipe down roof say extra £5. Like it's a done deal. It's when it's comes out of the blue it's hard not to go soft

I just said if you have an issue with the price think better to get someone else as really busy any customers are happy with what I charge. She tried to blame me for changing quote but that was because she got really funny and reduced it so don't see how that didn't help her. Should of known because few years ago I priced it and she never got back to me. 
If you reduce the price, as you did, the customer mostly doesn't see it as you being kind. More often than not they'd see it as proof, in their mind that they were right, you were overcharging. Others, used to bullying and bargaining will see it as a victory for them.

You need to stand your ground.

If she were my customer I wouldn't be wasting my time texting her. If she contacted me later about a future clean, I'd be telling her that I'm running a business. I'm not prepared to be interrogated by a customer over pricing or how long a job takes. No more explanation than that and certainly NO apologies, justification or price lowering.

Each job is assessed by me. My price is given in writing on the back of a business card, with the work clearly itemised. I keep a detailed copy for myself in a notepad. This will have estimated time and anything else I deem relevant, for our company eyes only. .

Some people don't like us earning decent money. I treat rude people with the contempt they deserve, customer or no. But I do it without actually being rude... Mostly! ?

I have been rude on occasion lol.

Hard to bite your tongue sometimes. 

I would point blank text to say didn't like your attitude towards me so may be best to find another window cleaner.

Done it several times in the past.

It's your business and these idiots need to realise that the attitude will lead to people walking away.

You quoted £49 to do the windows and whatever was agreed that you would to the roof.......you did  the job, got paid....she just moaned.......(bet you have when receiving a garage bill sometime for labour plus parts) happens.....why bin her?....Christ you must be a Saint (lol)

You quoted £49 to do the windows and whatever was agreed that you would to the roof.......you did  the job, got paid....she just moaned.......(bet you have when receiving a garage bill sometime for labour plus parts) happens.....why bin her?....Christ you must be a Saint (lol)
It's the bad attitude from start to finish. It's also different when you agree to a price u should respect the agreement

It’s very hard but be polite, respectful and courteous even if they are rude. Then forget about them. Don’t let the rude minority take up a large part of your thought.

use the mind power to better yourself and your business. These types of clients waste your time and energy.

instead use that time and energy to further the relationships with those clients that appreciate you and deserve us going that extra mile.

easier said than done but it’s a constant effort.

i always try to find a polite way to explain it’s not worth us doing business in extreme circumstances. Being rude back doesn’t help as so often, these people will never accept they’re rude so just don’t worry on it.

it all comes back around anyway. When you’re in business and conduct yourselves properly you will attract mostly those types of clients. The rude ones tend to attract like minded people.

birds of a feather flock together.

It’s very hard but be polite, respectful and courteous even if they are rude. Then forget about them. Don’t let the rude minority take up a large part of your thought.

use the mind power to better yourself and your business. These types of clients waste your time and energy.

instead use that time and energy to further the relationships with those clients that appreciate you and deserve us going that extra mile.

easier said than done but it’s a constant effort.

i always try to find a polite way to explain it’s not worth us doing business in extreme circumstances. Being rude back doesn’t help as so often, these people will never accept they’re rude so just don’t worry on it.

it all comes back around anyway. When you’re in business and conduct yourselves properly you will attract mostly those types of clients. The rude ones tend to attract like minded people.

birds of a feather flock together.
I leave them in no doubt of my displeasure if they are rude and disrespectful. They are left with No choice but to accept from me that their attitude is unacceptable. B..... ks to treading on eggshells. Too many people are afraid to tell it like it is these days and that's why that type of people get away with it.

I'm very polite and sincere. I wouldn't dream of being disrespectful to anyone, neither will I accept it. If they are rude or disrespectful, they will receive a a slice of my displeasure but I will maintain my composure and dignity... Mostly.

Most of our customers are very friendly. Some others are a tad standoffish. None are rude or disrespectful. That's simply not tolerated.

I had a few customers like that and I bent over backwards for them and then they dumped me. Live and learn, now all I do is vanish and don't go back. If they text or call me I just say I got the feeling you didn't want me back. You don't want customers like that, just time-wasters. By experience you soon weed them out and it makes our working life fairly easy. ?

It's the bad attitude from start to finish. It's also different when you agree to a price u should respect the agreement
Seems she did by paying it. You will find with experience not all customers  are naturally polite (we are dealing with people, and you know some people are w*****s) course you can bin whoever you wish on your round. I only suggest why bin her when she paid and indeed wanted you to carry on with the Monthly cleans.

We are going to find us all losing customers when this furlough scheme ceases and firms  making large scale redundancies,this customer may be alright but a couple of dozen of your others may cancel?. And with new start ups perhaps taking some of your customer base by under cutting your pricing.
Consolidation I think is the key at the moment until we know what effect this Covid-19 will have on our businesses longer term , and the results of the mass unemployment that will happen

I had a few customers like that and I bent over backwards for them and then they dumped me. Live and learn, now all I do is vanish and don't go back. If they text or call me I just say I got the feeling you didn't want me back. You don't want customers like that, just time-wasters. By experience you soon weed them out and it makes our working life fairly easy. ?
Perhaps soon there will not be enough customer base "to weed"

I leave them in no doubt of my displeasure if they are rude and disrespectful. They are left with No choice but to accept from me that their attitude is unacceptable. B..... ks to treading on eggshells. Too many people are afraid to tell it like it is these days and that's why that type of people get away with it.

I'm very polite and sincere. I wouldn't dream of being disrespectful to anyone, neither will I accept it. If they are rude or disrespectful, they will receive a a slice of my displeasure but I will maintain my composure and dignity... Mostly.

Most of our customers are very friendly. Some others are a tad standoffish. None are rude or disrespectful. That's simply not tolerated.
You and that customer have the same attitude it seem?

I have to wonder if this is a problem of perception? - We've all known people we've taken a disliking to or had a misunderstanding with. Sometimes people just manage to wind us up the wrong way without even trying and we can't see them as innocent. I know i've had that problem many times and yet when you look at it logically the person might not actually be a problem.

Did the custy swear at you? Did they call you a name? Did they tell you to take a hike? Did they start raving and shouting at you?

If the answer to at least 3 of them is "No" then you might have misunderstood their mentality. I'm not saying you're in the wrong, just that wires have got crossed and you've perceived them as seeing you in a negative light. Happens to me frequently. The fact that they text back saying they're upset that you won't be returning shows that they did actually have some positive feeling towards you even if they did their best to make you think otherwise.

It's taken me years to learn how to "let it go over my head" but these days feeling bitter and getting annoyed takes more energy than i can really be bothered to spend on peoples petty attitudes towards me. I've had loads of spats with the missus and a few colleagues, do you think i can even remember what half of them were about now? With that in mind it really ain't worth getting fed up over things - in a few weeks i won't even remember what it was all about anyway.

Back