Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is Black Lichen

WCF

Help Support WCF:

scottish cleaning service

I was asked to price a Softwashing job on Indian Sandstone which was covered in Black Lichen. So I wondered why no other lichen bar the black spot variety.

The patio black spots that grow on your garden stonework are actually spots of black lichen. The spores from the black lichen start life as tiny dust-like spores growing on the underside of leaves on trees and plants. These spores are carried, by the wind and the rain, onto your stonework in their millions.

Their backdoor is surrounded by mature trees so maybe that's the reason the patio is covered in black lichen and a bit of a nightmare to get rid of it. If I get the job then I'll take some photos before and after. 

I was asked to price a Softwashing job on Indian Sandstone which was covered in Black Lichen. So I wondered why no other lichen bar the black spot variety.

The patio black spots that grow on your garden stonework are actually spots of black lichen. The spores from the black lichen start life as tiny dust-like spores growing on the underside of leaves on trees and plants. These spores are carried, by the wind and the rain, onto your stonework in their millions.

Their backdoor is surrounded by mature trees so maybe that's the reason the patio is covered in black lichen and a bit of a nightmare to get rid of it. If I get the job then I'll take some photos before and after. 
Plenty of hypo good dwell time and a decent pressure wash will look like new ??

I do it all the time now and doesn't stain the slabs and looks great.
Gotta agree a mate of mine does it on his landscaping jobs and did it last year on our new sandstone paving, he did a proper job in the first place with hardcore and a full bed of cement underneath which filled the lower parts of the joints, 

Just in case you get the job and the custy wants the paving sealing seal it first then brush in the easy joint stuff after otherwise if you do the joints first then seal the jointing sand stuff will lift out and have to be redone the joint stuff needs to fully cure otherwise it reacts with sealer 

Just in case you get the job and the custy wants the paving sealing seal it first then brush in the easy joint stuff after otherwise if you do the joints first then seal the jointing sand stuff will lift out and have to be redone the joint stuff needs to fully cure otherwise it reacts with sealer 
I was at a potential customers house to price for a monthly window clean and I was looking at his newly cleaned sandstone slabs. All the silka or easyjoint mortar was sticking out way above the slabs. The more I looked at it the more it resembled expanding foam, I have never seen it before. He didn't want to discuss it so we moved on to the windows. Maybe the reason was exactly what you said had happened, bizarre. (I still haven't heard from him regarding windows)

I was at a potential customers house to price for a monthly window clean and I was looking at his newly cleaned sandstone slabs. All the silka or easyjoint mortar was sticking out way above the slabs. The more I looked at it the more it resembled expanding foam, I have never seen it before. He didn't want to discuss it so we moved on to the windows. Maybe the reason was exactly what you said had happened, bizarre. (I still haven't heard from him regarding windows)
I reckon that's what will have happened,  my mate said it was nightmare to remove and redo and cautioned me to wait weeks before doing an extra coat of sealer just to be 100% certain there was no reaction. 

Back