Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO/ DI system in a unit, whats the cost?

windowwales

Evening all, 

as a company we are getting a unit for the vans to fil up in, living in south wales water is classed as soft. But resin is costing a lot through a van mount system. Looking at getting an RO system for the unit to reduce cost of resin for the DI system in the van. Struggling to find average costs of RO systems, and DI systems and the refilll cost to work out the annual cost. Any help or suggests would be great! 

Thanks 

Evening all, 

as a company we are getting a unit for the vans to fil up in, living in south wales water is classed as soft. But resin is costing a lot through a van mount system. Looking at getting an RO system for the unit to reduce cost of resin for the DI system in the van. Struggling to find average costs of RO systems, and DI systems and the refilll cost to work out the annual cost. Any help or suggests would be great! 

Thanks 
How much water are you needing to produce per day ?. Also a TDS reading would be useful just saying it’s soft water doesn’t give us much information,also what’s your water pressure and flow like ?  ime  guessing a 4040 single or double ro would be what you need , @spruce or @doug atkinson are the experts on this subject Ime sure they will see this and offer some advice 

How much water are you needing to produce per day ?. Also a TDS reading would be useful just saying it’s soft water doesn’t give us much information,also what’s your water pressure and flow like ?  ime  guessing a 4040 single or double ro would be what you need , @spruce or @doug atkinson are the experts on this subject Ime sure they will see this and offer some advice 
Agree ^^^^^

@windowwales. How many vans? how much water do you use a day and all the other questions Pjj has asked.

Also important is when these van's will fill up and what size tanks they have?

Agree ^^^^^

@windowwales. How many vans? how much water do you use a day and all the other questions Pjj has asked.

Also important is when these van's will fill up and what size tanks they have?
we are on to our second van, hoping to get third soon. each van has a 400L tank which they use easily each day which they will fill each morning. The flow rate on WFP we have reduced to 70% of 100 PSI pump when cleaning. i have tried to research the exact tds of water pre DI filtration but not been able it find it, and my tds meter monitors in the vans post DI filtration. I'm currently using resin at £50 per week at least. 

The flow rate on WFP we have reduced to 70% of 100 PSI pump when cleaning.
So does that mean you were running the pumps flat out at a Flow of 99 but now 70, if so I would consider trying different jets to reduce water consumption lots of brushes have or had always been fitted with 2mm pencil jets, about 12  years ago i switched to 1mm pencil jets but recently converted to 50 degree fan jets with a current Flo of 29 a good flow and fast rinse also saving some water as well. 

This is what you need;

https://www.daqua.co.uk/ro_systems.htm

The 4040 version with 20'' Pre filters. It comes basically assembled and tested by @doug atkinson. Then get 2 IBC tanks, link them together to fill into. A flood pump from Screwfix for £40 and some hose to hook up to that.

Optional extras;

Booster pump

In line TDS Meter

Water flow meter

Solenoid shut off valve.
Agree. The reason why @windowwales needs 2 ibc tanks is that the guys will all fill up at the same time in the morning so he needs the storage facilities to do that.

20" prefilters are important.

Personally my choice would be an HF5 Axeon membrane.

Water pressure is important as is the amount of water available from the tap in lpm.  If water pressure is below 50psi then a booster pump would be required - automatic would make life much easier.

A 4040 needs around 9 lpm of available water with hard water and a booster pump. My 4040 uses about 4 lpm with waste and pure and 13lpm from the tap at 50psi with no booster  I get around 2 lpm of pure.

He might also have to put the system on a timer so he is producing water over night if there is a general demand for water during the day.

He should do a search on Fiberdyne carbon block filters and another search on booster pumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
@doug atkinsonatkinson will be able to price a system for you @windowwales.

I have a single ibc tank with float switch controlling a solenoid valve. I have my r/o in a heated cabinet. A tube heater kicks on when the temp drops to 5 degrees. It stops the ro from freezing. I needed the system to be fully automatic.

I also have my unit on a water metre so I know when to change prefilters.

I have a 2 sensor inline tds meter so I can see the tds of the water leaving the ro and the tds of the water after Di and before storage.

This system worked for us back in the day when we had 3 vans, 2 with 500 liter tanks and mine with a 650l tank. But I filled my van at night and soon filled his first thing in the morning. Son in law usually filled his mid morning. So staggering full times meant I only needed 1 ibc tank.

My system cost me around £1100 all in which included a Di vessel. You have one already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would second what was said about a hf5. Ive 40psi from the tap, no booster and produce around 100l per hour. Had Membrane over 2 years and still runs at 97% efficiency.

It’s one of the best investments that can be made and keeps your business in control at the same time.

hope it goes well

I have a RO DI system in my van and all I do is connect up to an outside tap. When it really comes into it's own is when I'm doing a time consuming job and the customer has an outside tap. I usually plug in and fill up while I'm working away if they give me permission.

I have a RO DI system in my van and all I do is connect up to an outside tap. When it really comes into it's own is when I'm doing a time consuming job and the customer has an outside tap. I usually plug in and fill up while I'm working away if they give me permission.
When you run a couple of vans that becomes a problem. Unfortunately as @Green Pro Clean Ltd said recently, his employees aren't bothered about monitoring and maintaining an r/o system.

One of the local franchise window cleaners has the lads fill up at his premises. This way they only have access to pure water he monitors. If there is a customer complaint he already knows it must be an operator problem as the water he uses will be pure.

When you run a couple of vans that becomes a problem. Unfortunately as @Green Pro Clean Ltd said recently, his employees aren't bothered about monitoring and maintaining an r/o system.

One of the local franchise window cleaners has the lads fill up at his premises. This way they only have access to pure water he monitors. If there is a customer complaint he already knows it must be an operator problem as the water he uses will be pure.
Yes it all come down to the word employee. Employees can show a disregard for responsibility because they know it will fall on their boss's shoulders. The boss pulls them up and they mysteriously have an accident at work and hurt their back or arm. Then they book off sick with a service injury and maybe pursue a claim against the boss or the company. The boss then tells the other guys to work harder because they are a person down. Next few days the other guy has a service injury and goes sick now the van is off the run. Customers begin to call the boss to see what's happening with their cleaning. Boss puts pressure on the rest of the staff and they leave or book sick and the boss has no employees to control nor any business to manage. Boss then cracks up and business is over. Seen this happen to horrible bosses in my life time because the employee has more rights than the owner nowadays because of EU law. I used it to my advantage against the Fire Service they didn't have a leg to stand on.

So does that mean you were running the pumps flat out at a Flow of 99 but now 70, if so I would consider trying different jets to reduce water consumption lots of brushes have or had always been fitted with 2mm pencil jets, about 12  years ago i switched to 1mm pencil jets but recently converted to 50 degree fan jets with a current Flo of 29 a good flow and fast rinse also saving some water as well. 
Ive looked into jets as well, ive ordered fan jets as another local window cleaner said they were better and he only changes his resin once a month but has no TDS meter so not sure what his comes out using just DI. Although he says he never has complaints

This is what we are aiming to do, have two 1000l tanks in the unit and fill the vans from there. Although not sure which way is best to get the purest water before it goes into the vans. Either to run it through a DI in the unit, the DI in the van. OR RO in the unit then DI in the van. or just leave it as DI in the van on its own. 

SO MANY OPTIONS!!! 

Back