Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

IBC tank, hose & pump

Bart90

Where do you guys buy your storage tanks?  I'm after a 1000 litre.  Also recommendation on a sub pump & transfer hose (width?) that will pump fast into 25L containers?  

Re the lbc - do i need it in a cage thing or do you buy it on its own?  Any info would be great.  What do you use to keep the sun off it?  Cheers

Most IBCs are pre-caged as far as I know. Got mine 2nd hand for about £50, although its a smaller 640L version. Thankfully I just about managed to squeeze it in the outbuilding where the old outside toilet used to reside, so no worries about keeping the sun off it.
If you can sit it on a few blocks so it sits as high as the 25L containter, then you shouldn't need a transfer pump. Use 1" delivery hose so you have room to get it in the lid of the container. Should then take about 1 minute per barrel to fill.

I paid £70 each for my ibcs which were single use food production grade in A1 condition which held corn oil. I stream cleaned them and bleached them. Although they'd been pre-cleaned by the seller a local military surplus company.

You need the cage as a complete unit as they'll be unstable with a ton of water in them.

I have my top cap custom fitted with a hose gland. 

Don't ever start drilling holes all over them. It's pointless.

On the outlet tap i have a IBC 50mm to hoselock cap fitted at a cost of £7.99

I use a Clarke SPE1200SS 61lpm pump for transfer at a cost of £119.00 

3 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

I paid £70 each for my ibcs which were single use food production grade in A1 condition which held corn oil. I stream cleaned them and bleached them. Although they'd been pre-cleaned by the seller a local military surplus company.

You need the cage as a complete unit as they'll be unstable with a ton of water in them.

I have my top cap custom fitted with a hose gland. 

Don't ever start drilling holes all over them. It's pointless.

On the outlet tap i have a IBC 50mm to hoselock cap fitted at a cost of £7.99

I use a Clarke SPE1200SS 61lpm pump for transfer at a cost of £119.00 

Thanks for the reply.  Does the clarke pump have a suction hose that you insert in the tank?  I'm presuming it not a sub pump.  Nice set up btw!

Thanks for the reply.  Does the clarke pump have a suction hose that you insert in the tank?  I'm presuming it not a sub pump.  Nice set up btw!
I use an external Clarke transfer pump. The pump is in a cupboard above the IBC tank. Although they all say they are self priming you have to prime them to begin with. I use 1" transfer hose and this just fits through the vent hole in the tank's lid. I have fitted a 1" brass footvalve at the bottom to help keep water in the pipe. It's weight also keeps the hose on the bottom of the IBC tank.

Back