Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Teddington Window Cleaners

Recommended Posts

Just starting out money is sparse so when choosing my first pole for traditional work I chose the Unger Telescopic 3-section pole 3.75m max. 

This seemed to be the most versatile for the the price and I could go and pick it up from screw fix. 

However, today I tackled a house where i could not take the ladder through and my pole would not reach the second floor. 

The Carbonator by Moerman looks the business but the bigger pole is very expensive. 

Does anyone know of any other suitable poles? 

Link to comment

5m Harris pole. 

Drill the rivets out the end and put an unger optiloc cone on it.

I used one for ages trad to avoid ladders. Used a wagtail with liquidator channel on it.

Edited by Dave B
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Teddington Window Cleaners said:

Just starting out money is sparse so when choosing my first pole for traditional work I chose the Unger Telescopic 3-section pole 3.75m max. 

This seemed to be the most versatile for the the price and I could go and pick it up from screw fix. 

However, today I tackled a house where i could not take the ladder through and my pole would not reach the second floor. 

The Carbonator by Moerman looks the business but the bigger pole is very expensive. 

Does anyone know of any other suitable poles? 

Want to save money and forget the big boy brand names. 

Get a 3 or 4 section Contico Pulex aluminium pole pretty similar to Unger but not over priced. 

 

Heres an example 

https://www.citrus-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/products/Window+Cleaning/Accessories/Pulex+Aluminium+Pole+Triple+Section+3+x+6+Feet/2765051579?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1OOR_IyO6gIVDbDtCh38zguoEAQYBSABEgJyZPD_BwE

 

Kind regards Austin 

 

Link to comment

@Teddington Window Cleaners I use the unger optiloc traditional pole but the 6 metre one is what you’ll need for second floor windows. Mine have lasted absolutely ages. The carbonator looks good but I’ve read that it isn’t well made and breaks easily (have a look on YouTube). Lots of people raving about the traditional phantom pole from window cleaning warehouse but haven’t used one myself. Personally I like the design of the moerman tools but in my experience they aren’t very well made so I only use the boab and pouch of theirs now. For swivel pole tools can’t beat the wagtail highflyer - not cheap but absolutely brilliant to use on and off the pole.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, wgwindows said:

@Teddington Window Cleaners I use the unger optiloc traditional pole but the 6 metre one is what you’ll need for second floor windows. Mine have lasted absolutely ages. The carbonator looks good but I’ve read that it isn’t well made and breaks easily (have a look on YouTube). Lots of people raving about the traditional phantom pole from window cleaning warehouse but haven’t used one myself. Personally I like the design of the moerman tools but in my experience they aren’t very well made so I only use the boab and pouch of theirs now. For swivel pole tools can’t beat the wagtail highflyer - not cheap but absolutely brilliant to use on and off the pole.

Thanks, just ordered the 6m from Ebay for £49 which is not too bad, they dont have it at screwfix. 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Teddington Window Cleaners said:

Thanks, just ordered the 6m from Ebay for £49 which is not too bad, they dont have it at screwfix. 

 

Yes the 6m is the one you need. It is long though so have a practice with it. Screwfix only stock up to about the size you have currently I think. The green and blue collars and grips on the poles are no different as far as I know - the blue are sold at high street/diy shops and the green from window cleaning suppliers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Teddington Window Cleaners said:

Thanks, just ordered the 6m from Ebay for £49 which is not too bad, they dont have it at screwfix. 

 

Just seen what you ordered from Bayersan but there is a seller from Germany doing it for £35.95 freepost.  I need one as don't want to walk through a house that I have just picked up, better this than carting ladder through.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unger-OptiLoc-6-1-80m-3-sections-Telescopic-pole/254020452595?epid=21026937938&hash=item3b24cc80f3:g:PWUAAOSwkB1evlMs

Link to comment
2 hours ago, MJK said:

Just seen what you ordered from Bayersan but there is a seller from Germany doing it for £35.95 freepost.  I need one as don't want to walk through a house that I have just picked up, better this than carting ladder through.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unger-OptiLoc-6-1-80m-3-sections-Telescopic-pole/254020452595?epid=21026937938&hash=item3b24cc80f3:g:PWUAAOSwkB1evlMs

I don’t do much ladder work as I do a mix of traditional and waterfed pole now, but sometimes I do ladder work if it’s safe enough and any awkward windows can then be done with a traditional pole.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, MJK said:

Just seen what you ordered from Bayersan but there is a seller from Germany doing it for £35.95 freepost.  I need one as don't want to walk through a house that I have just picked up, better this than carting ladder through.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unger-OptiLoc-6-1-80m-3-sections-Telescopic-pole/254020452595?epid=21026937938&hash=item3b24cc80f3:g:PWUAAOSwkB1evlMs

I’m sure you’re aware but this is only 6 foot. The one teddington is after is 6 metres? Just wanted to make sure

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I’ve got a 3 tier unger pole. Think it’s about 25”. Very rare I use it though. Think it cost more than £100 so not very good value for money as it’s heavy and bendy as hell. . Better off with a carbon wfp with a trad extension. 

Link to comment
On 20/06/2020 at 22:33, Mx19 said:

I’m sure you’re aware but this is only 6 foot. The one teddington is after is 6 metres? Just wanted to make sure

Me bad

Completely f**ked up and misread the listing.

Thanks very much for pointing this out as was going to order this tomorrow.

Do you know the one that Teddington bought for £49 ???  Or if Teddington can put a link up for me ?

thanks in advance whom helps out.

Link to comment
13 hours ago, MJK said:

Me bad

Completely f**ked up and misread the listing.

Thanks very much for pointing this out as was going to order this tomorrow.

Do you know the one that Teddington bought for £49 ???  Or if Teddington can put a link up for me ?

thanks in advance whom helps out.

Her you go buddy: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOW-CLEANING-TELESCOPIC-POLE-6m-20-feet-3-section/112369459223?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ignore the picture 

Link to comment

@Teddington Window Cleaners

Dont run out to buy new gear to service the odd obsticle especially if your starting up and money is tight.

You could just turn them in, especially if your going throigh there house anyway, but with covid19 that might not be the best advice for the time being. 

Link to comment

I think it will be a valuable tool and its not very expensive, I will make the money back in the one job that have and that will repeat so its a sound investment and open up the door to other jobs. 

I want to stay traditional only so I need to make sure I have all the tools I need to clean any window 🙂 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Teddington Window Cleaners said:

I think it will be a valuable tool and its not very expensive, I will make the money back in the one job that have and that will repeat so its a sound investment and open up the door to other jobs. 

I want to stay traditional only so I need to make sure I have all the tools I need to clean any window 🙂 

 

There’s always tools needed for all windows. Going back though I would really evaluate a lot of my tools bought over the last few years. If you only have a rare window you won’t/can’t reach you might be ok with a backpack and a cheap pole. I know someone though that tells customers if he can’t reach a window safely he will use a traditional pole and try his best to get a good finish. They never complain because they know he tries his best.

Link to comment
On 19/06/2020 at 15:36, Apw1210 said:

Want to save money and forget the big boy brand names. 

Get a 3 or 4 section Contico Pulex aluminium pole pretty similar to Unger but not over priced. 

 

Heres an example 

https://www.citrus-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/products/Window+Cleaning/Accessories/Pulex+Aluminium+Pole+Triple+Section+3+x+6+Feet/2765051579?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1OOR_IyO6gIVDbDtCh38zguoEAQYBSABEgJyZPD_BwE

 

Kind regards Austin 

 

Thanks for this link as my one got delivered today and what a bargain. It is very sturdy and robust and extends really far. £35 all in with vat is a steal.

Link to comment

I got sick a trad pole locking cones spinning after time. I now have both pole lengths of the phantom trad poles, very light and well made. I do have a 36 inch mop which I use for commercial regularly and it is quite heavy when soaked, ended up pulling off the top clamp of the 12ft pole too many times so I had to glue and tape it. Fine now but I am bit more careful using the phantom trad poles than I am with the likes of the Unger or Ettore poles. Also, a negative about them is that the clamps banging and get caught over ledges or if you are working at a height in a confined space. I still like them because they are so light weight but it's definitely a work around.

The Carbonator looks the business but like most Moerman stuff the price is absolutely insane. The Drywalker came out and was going for made money, it's been reduced now across the board as I would imagine nobody was buying it. I picked one up for nearly half the price if was going for initially. Moerman bring out fantastic stuff and the Carbonator poles look to continue that but ffs get real with the prices.

Edited by Daniel Perkins
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Daniel Perkins said:

I got sick a trad pole locking cones spinning after time. I now have both pole lengths of the phantom trad poles, very light and well made. I do have a 36 inch mop which I use for commercial regularly and it is quite heavy when soaked, ended up pulling off the top clamp of the 12ft pole too many times so I had to glue and tape it. Fine now but I am bit more careful using the phantom trad poles than I am with the likes of the Unger or Ettore poles. Also, a negative about them is that the clamps banging and get caught over ledges or if you are working at a height in a confined space. I still like them because they are so light weight but it's definitely a work around.

The Carbonator looks the business but like most Moerman stuff the price is absolutely insane. The Drywalker came out and was going for made money, it's been reduced now across the board as I would imagine nobody was buying it. I picked one up for nearly half the price if was going for initially. Moerman bring out fantastic stuff and the Carbonator poles look to continue that but ffs get real with the prices.

I'm looking at purchasing the 'Drywalker'. Please let me know how you get on with it as it looks a  bit big and clumsy from what i've seen on videos etc. 

John

Gleam Clean

Tamar Valley Cornwall

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept