Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Confused by my new resin!

Baldmonkey

So long story short, changed resin 4 weeks ago after 10 months, ran a good few loads through it the first week and kept checking... 000 everytime. Just checked it now and its at 006 out of the resin. 

Now the RO hasn't changed, around 350 going in and around 25 coming out. 

What's happened to the resin all of a sudden? 

Thanks in advance 

So long story short, changed resin 4 weeks ago after 10 months, ran a good few loads through it the first week and kept checking... 000 everytime. Just checked it now and its at 006 out of the resin. 

Now the RO hasn't changed, around 350 going in and around 25 coming out. 

What's happened to the resin all of a sudden? 

Thanks in advance 
I'm sure someone of knowledge like @doug atkinson will have an answer.

I usually change my resin when the water out of the resin is 1ppm. The last time I left it for quite a while and it remained at one. Then suddenly it jumped to 5ppm out of the di when the water going in was 3ppm.

So it appears to me that once the resin is spent it sheds some of the impurities it has absorbed earlier.

I'm sure someone of knowledge like @doug atkinson will have an answer.

I usually change my resin when the water out of the resin is 1ppm. The last time I left it for quite a while and it remained at one. Then suddenly it jumped to 5ppm out of the di when the water going in was 3ppm.

So it appears to me that once the resin is spent it sheds some of the impurities it has absorbed earlier.
Cheers @spruce shouldn't be doing it after 4 weeks when the last lot lasted 10 months.. It was a different brand though, first lot was tulson from gardiner but this one wasn't, can't remember what it was.

I used the remainder of the tulson so 10/11 months old resin and the bag I bought, could the age be the reason. 

Cheers @spruce shouldn't be doing it after 4 weeks when the last lot lasted 10 months.. It was a different brand though, first lot was tulson from gardiner but this one wasn't, can't remember what it was.

I used the remainder of the tulson so 10/11 months old resin and the bag I bought, could the age be the reason. 
I change the resin in my 6 liter di vessel approx once a year. I changed the resin a couple of weeks ago and used up the remaining resin from the bag I purchased 4 years ago. I didn't have enough so topped up the remainder with a little I had left from my 450gpd which was at least 8 years old which I got from Ro-Man.

I'm watching this but the water after di this morning was still zero,

The previous resin change was February 2019. I used the resin from that bag which was 3 years old then. It lasted as long as the first fill when I purchased the bag. It was Tulsion MB115 purchased from Daqua.

Saying that we aren't using quite as much water as we did 4 years ago so maybe the resin has gone off a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I change the resin in my 6 liter di vessel approx once a year. I changed the resin a couple of weeks ago and used up the remaining resin from the bag I purchased 4 years ago. I didn't have enough so topped up the remainder with a little I had left from my 450gpd which was at least 8 years old which I got from Ro-Man.

I'm watching this but the water after di this morning was still zero,

The previous resin change was February 2019. I used the resin from that bag which was 3 years old then. It lasted as long as the first fill when I purchased the bag. It was Tulsion MB115 purchased from Daqua.

Saying that we aren't using quite as much water as we did 4 years ago so maybe the resin has gone off a bit.
I guess I'm just going to have to change it, what's the crack with NUCLEAR grade resin and which brand yeilds best overall results, thanks

2 years previously I purchased a bag of Tulsion from Purefreedom. I split the bag with another local windie who needed resin but was under a bit of financial pressure.

Again that fill lasted me a year. The other windie complained that the resin he got was the worst performing he had experienced. Same water supply just a different r/o (Merlin compared to my 4040.) I can't remember what he said was the best resin but I reordered what worked well for me. He told me he would never slit a bag of resin with me again. ?

I will order tulsion MB115 again.

I agree. I will only purchase resin from Daqua or Grippa because we know it comes from a reliable source.

There was a hiccup with PF selling Tulsion resin which wasn't Tulsion resin a few years ago when there was a resin shortage. So I won't go back there again.

Where did you purchase it from. I see couple of brands now being sold by other suppliers as resin is short. Those who have been long time in the game will remember the issues with these brands.

I guess I'm just going to have to change it, what's the crack with NUCLEAR grade resin and which brand yeilds best overall results, thanks
We’ve been selling this for a number of years and I remember posts on here with some angry people saying it was a big hype.

The difference with Nuclear Grade resin is it more Ultra Pure water. This is measured in micro Siemens and is widely used in manufacturer of contact lenses etc.. where purity is essential. The process is big and one window cleaners would not do.

The set which we recommend is R/O to normal mixed bed then nuclear grade.

The ppm going into the Nuclear grade not to reach higher than 002 ppm with it being so expensive.

Couple of customers have converted all their vans to this style. They are heavily involved in the Commercial Industry.

What they have found the cleans are better and they no longer use hot water for first cleans. The call outs to customers who were not happy with the clean has dropped considerably and they are getting a better clean than hot water.

This is not one quote but a few in that when a building hasn’t been cleaned for several months they still would get some spotting with hot water. With nuclear grade there were no spotting.

This is the feedback I have received so far.

This is for everyone. It would be interesting to see if this could produce spotless cleans on those windows you know that always spot.

I'm a bit confused, I take it you put the nuclear grade in a di vessel, what's it called? Is it cheaper than heating water everyday.  Interesting to hear about the spotting with hot water, where is the contamination  coming from, diesel heaters, use of electric elements? Or just hot water I  general.

I'm a bit confused, I take it you put the nuclear grade in a di vessel, what's it called? Is it cheaper than heating water everyday.  Interesting to hear about the spotting with hot water, where is the contamination  coming from, diesel heaters, use of electric elements? Or just hot water I  general.
I’m no expert as do not clean but going on peoples comments. If you are strict with your set up from what they have told me it is cheaper than running hot water. 

Where did you purchase it from. I see couple of brands now being sold by other suppliers as resin is short. Those who have been long time in the game will remember the issues with these brands.
Can't remember if I'm honest, bought it a good few months ago, bought some this morning from you (15 ltr delivery to Warrington) would appreciate a quick dispatch time if possible @doug atkinson

Back