Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Fascia and Soffit clean - Need help

New punter wants gutters washed, not cleared out, just brushing the exterior. How much extra should I be charging? Pretty dirty, don’t look like they’ve ever been done.
I work by the hour as you could be stuck scrubbing one area for ages.

Also before you commit to the job do a walk around survey with the customer to ascertain if the gutters are free from damage broken brackets etc and discuss any found faults beforehand to avoid blame or liability. 

If it’s gutter, fascia & soffit board together, if you’re just starting out, just to clean with a wfp pole, £2 per lineage metre should be fine with ‘getting the job’. Won’t be a massive earner for you. With experience you’ll then learn how to charge. It’s it’s absolutely filthy charge a bit more. 

I've done 1 hour jobs for £100 and 3 hour Jobs for £60 all depending on how bad I needed the work at the time. 

These days i don't have a set charge, it's minimum of window cleaning hourly rate then whatever extra I want to add for the inconvenience. 

If normal window cleaning hourly rate is £45 I would want £60ph to do extras. 

I always test a small area to see how easy it is to clean first, then it'll give you an idea as to how long the job will take.
Use this http://jigsaw-innovations.co.uk/product/vision-tfr-cc-caustic-concentrated/ the dirt just melts off I did a really bad f.s.g clean today and it was piece of cake, 50ml to 5 litres of water in a bucket dip brush quick scrub leave to dwell for a few minutes then another quick scrub with water on and a good rinse the house had white pvc guttering which was black and it came up like new and the plastics are 23 years old 

Use this http://jigsaw-innovations.co.uk/product/vision-tfr-cc-caustic-concentrated/ the dirt just melts off I did a really bad f.s.g clean today and it was piece of cake, 50ml to 5 litres of water in a bucket dip brush quick scrub leave to dwell for a few minutes then another quick scrub with water on and a good rinse the house had white pvc guttering which was black and it came up like new and the plastics are 23 years old 
What’s it like if it dries on glass or plastics in the sun ?. I did a job years ago with TFR and ruined a conservatory turned it to yellow looked like someone had varnished it , used Virosol ever since and never had any problems with that .

What’s it like if it dries on glass or plastics in the sun ?. I did a job years ago with TFR and ruined a conservatory turned it to yellow looked like someone had varnished it , used Virosol ever since and never had any problems with that .
I’ve just started to use it instead of  razor wash. It’s meant to me caustic but - from my limited use of it - it doesn’t seem that ‘harsh’. Give’s pretty good results but then the razor wash did too! The one plus for me (as I have a small spray bottle in my pouch for spot cleaning) is it doesn’t foam up as much as the other brands I’ve used - so washes off without too much fuss. I only clean FSG and Conny roofs in the rain so not had it dry yet. Might give it a go ‘neat‘ over the weekend to see if it makes the plastic bubble!!! ?

I've not had it dry on, but basically @AGlassAct has covered it, pretty certain it cautions you about drying on and getting it on painted surfaces like car paintwork, I prefer to do add on's on cooler overcast days anyway otherwise I'll be sweating like ?

I've not had it dry on, but basically @AGlassAct has covered it, pretty certain it cautions you about drying on and getting it on painted surfaces like car paintwork, I prefer to do add on's on cooler overcast days anyway otherwise I'll be sweating like ?
Unfortunately we have work booked in weeks in advance so it is done come rain or shine I dont have any option that’s why I swapped over to Virosol Ime always happy to try new or better things but so far haven’t come across anything better .

Hi guys,

I've potentially got my first fascia, soffit, gutter cleaning job tomorrow. All of it's proper filthy so my plan was dipping my WFP pole brush into a bucket of chemical/tap water and scrub a lot and then use tap water from my Gardiner backpack to rinse. Any tips will be great. My main concern is the dripping of chemical/tap water onto the windows and leaving marks. I need to do the customer's windows anyway but not sure how others work around this issue other than rinse the windows that have drips with tap water from the WFP, or needing to swap onto pure water and rinse before chemical dries, but that would be constantly swapping.

Any help/ advice would be great.

Also, this may be a stupid question but how close do you clean fascias around power lines?

Thanks

Ed

Unfortunately we have work booked in weeks in advance so it is done come rain or shine I dont have any option that’s why I swapped over to Virosol Ime always happy to try new or better things but so far haven’t come across anything better .
I'll have a look at the info provided that I got sent with the my order and let you know, it's better than virosol in cleaning power and the lack of suds which is minimal is a bonus as well. 

Hi guys,

I've potentially got my first fascia, soffit, gutter cleaning job tomorrow. All of it's proper filthy so my plan was dipping my WFP pole brush into a bucket of chemical/tap water and scrub a lot and then use tap water from my Gardiner backpack to rinse. Any tips will be great. My main concern is the dripping of chemical/tap water onto the windows and leaving marks. I need to do the customer's windows anyway but not sure how others work around this issue other than rinse the windows that have drips with tap water from the WFP, or needing to swap onto pure water and rinse before chemical dries, but that would be constantly swapping.

Any help/ advice would be great.

Also, this may be a stupid question but how close do you clean fascias around power lines?

Thanks

Ed
I clean the windows as I go as there is a lot of dirt off the gutter clean so the brush needs running across the window frame to get the dirt out the brush I make sure a thoroughly clean and rinse the windows so there is no chemicals left to dry on the windows below then once I finished one side of the guttering and give the windows a final clean but I always use pure water to do a f.s.g clean

I clean the windows as I go as there is a lot of dirt off the gutter clean so the brush needs running across the window frame to get the dirt out the brush I make sure a thoroughly clean and rinse the windows so there is no chemicals left to dry on the windows below then once I finished one side of the guttering and give the windows a final clean but I always use pure water to do a f.s.g clean
Thanks, very helpful. I read other's use tap water and wanted to save my pure water but I guess most of the time it'd be scrubbing rather than jets on all the time.

Thanks, very helpful. I read other's use tap water and wanted to save my pure water but I guess most of the time it'd be scrubbing rather than jets on all the time.
I keep my water flowing near enough all the time apart from the initial scrub when applying the chemical the same as you after dipping the brush in the bucket with chemical. personally I see no point in using tap water as I don't want to mess on with a back pack or connecting to a custys outside tap when it's simply and easy to use my van mount as normal.

As long as you're careful of where the water is going you'll get little or next to nothing on the windows.

Regarding using customers tap water, this will very much depend on how much pure you carry. If the gutter and fascia is particularly dirty you could use upwards of 300l's.

As long as you're careful of where the water is going you'll get little or next to nothing on the windows.

Regarding using customers tap water, this will very much depend on how much pure you carry. If the gutter and fascia is particularly dirty you could use upwards of 300l's.
Only 350L tank so will try best to spare pure water and use it just to rinse off chemical bucket water. Tomorrow's is so filthy though that if takes too long revert to customer tap water in backpack.

Back