Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pressure in Pole Hose due to heat.

Dabber

Hi

Over last two days due to the extreme heat my pole hose has expanded just below the univalve.The pressure has been so extreme that the univalve was unable to operate.

Is there a way to stop this happening.Ive packed in today to have a chill in the garden ?

Cheers

Dabber

Hi

Over last two days due to the extreme heat my pole hose has expanded just below the univalve.The pressure has been so extreme that the univalve was unable to operate.

Is there a way to stop this happening.Ive packed in today to have a chill in the garden ?

Cheers

Dabber
Don’t know what pole hose you are using we use Gardiner’s green pu with 80 degrees hot water and never have a problem 

Just spoke to Gardiners who have advised me to replace with the green Pu hose.

Seems that the four seasons is not quite up to scratch.

Been using it for 3/4 years without any issues, but hey ?

Just spoke to Gardiners who have advised me to replace with the green Pu hose.

Seems that the four seasons is not quite up to scratch.

Been using it for 3/4 years without any issues, but hey ?
I dont get why the poles dont come with the better stuff as standard if the yellow isnt good enough.

They said that the problem was the univalve which obviously they don’t supply.

Ive ordered green Pu hose now so hopefully that will work better in this heat.

They said that the problem was the univalve which obviously they don’t supply.

Ive ordered green Pu hose now so hopefully that will work better in this heat.
yes that would make sense. I have the standard pole hose and havent had issue really, apart from its tangles can be a pita. I did put a univalve in it, but rarely use as mostly use one stop.

What Gardiner’s mean is that the problem you’re experiencing is because you’ve chosen to use a univalve. The designer of the univalve, Exceed Innovations, recommends the use of PU pole hose as it is less affected by extremes of temperatures. All season pole hose is fine for general use including the Gooseneck valve that Gardiner’s supply. But it is a PVC hose and prone to being affected by temperature changes, becoming soft and considerably more flexible as it warms up

I didn’t realise that when I initially got the univalve but as with most things in this game you learn something new everyday ?
You won’t have any problems with the green Pu hose it’s brilliant stuff we use 80 degrees water and it’s still hard no distortion or melting at all 

Once you change to the green hose you certainly won’t go back to the all season. It’s much improved, but it’s like anything it served it’s purpose. 
I’m tempted with Gardiner valve @Marko067 you seem to be getting on great with it and your daughter too

Once you change to the green hose you certainly won’t go back to the all season. It’s much improved, but it’s like anything it served it’s purpose. 
I’m tempted with Gardiner valve @Marko067 you seem to be getting on great with it and your daughter too
Not only do I like the action, even with the swivel attachment on my brush (which does make it a little quirky in confined spaces) but perfectly fine in normal use, but I think it’s great that all the spares are available for it. I feel that the action involved in turning it on and off is smoother overall than with the univalve. Time will tell as to how long it will last. 

Quick update, been using the green PU hose all this week and what a difference.Turning the univalve on and off so much easier.Cant  compare the heat issue as it’s been much cooler down here this week.

I’ve  used o clips to attach The univalve top and bottom is this necessary ?

Think I read somewhere that some just slip the hose onto the. Univalve.

Cheers

Dabber

I didn’t use ‘o’ clips on mine. Unlike PVC hose which if memory serves you can pull off the Univalve if not clamped on, I think you’re more like to break the Univalve if you try pulling a PU pole hose off it. It seems to grip tighter the harder you pull. I’ve never had any leaks from a PU/Univalve connection either. However, I’ve never used a pump rated higher than 70 PSI. 

That's good to hear.

I use the yellow all season pole hose (with my univalve) and have always put 2 O-clips on it. But, last week, it was like pulling spaghetti when up at 47ft and trying to turn the univalve on and off ?

Will have to buy some of that green PU hose when I next order something from Gardiner. Probably soon as I bought a new Dupont brush last week and it's far too soft to be able to clean effectively. Will just use it on leadeds.

I’d been using the all season hose since I started 3 years back.

I would highly recommend the PU hose, it obviously doesn’t expand in high temperature but the whole action with the univalve is so much more slick and easy.

You never stop learning in this game and every step forwards makes your day that little bit easier.

Cheers

Dabber

That's good to hear.

I use the yellow all season pole hose (with my univalve) and have always put 2 O-clips on it. But, last week, it was like pulling spaghetti when up at 47ft and trying to turn the univalve on and off ?

Will have to buy some of that green PU hose when I next order something from Gardiner. Probably soon as I bought a new Dupont brush last week and it's far too soft to be able to clean effectively. Will just use it on leadeds.
When Steve designed the uni valve he said it wasn’t designed to be used on poles above 30 feet due to the stretch in pole hose , but with modern Pu stuff I guess it should work ok .

Back